PDA

View Full Version : In the arms of the giant squid ...

Pancho
07-19-2006, 03:55 PM
... is more or less the motto of my upcoming image. Having some experience with an octopus I do remember that my IK bone set up for the arms last time and especially the usage of this setup was something I would describe as "eternal pain". Some scenarios to burn in the flames seemed to be more acceptable than to work with LW and its bones and IK system.

To avoid all this trouble and to lead a happy life in which hell is non existing, I wonder if anybody did have some great ideas of how to animate a squid arm in a nice efficient way. There are about 30 bones in each arm. I thought follower would be great to use (for smooth movement, rotation channels) but unfortunately as far as i can understand right now, bones which use follower can't be used any more or follower won't work. I do want to get some smooth movements when I work with the rig, but it is only for a still. So something which doesn't give me a headache would be great. I also thought of ClothFX and Metalink. Would it be possible to have just a few bones and a rough arm cage which then transformes a high resolution mesh. Important for me is that there is already a low res version of the arm with ClothFX applied to the suckers which move the high resolution suckers if the arm is moving and gravity comes into affect. So there is already a one Metalink going on.

If somebody as an idea or a solution he/she is more than welcome to share his/her thoughts.

With respect
Pancho

CtrlAltDel
07-19-2006, 04:27 PM
I went through a similar project, but not tentacles, and they don't bend as much.
Tried with bones and 3 goal nulls and IK, but it jitters like Parkinson's.
I was going to try IKBooster, but too afraid to start learning :P

I ended up using spline deformation. Just a thought, how 'bout using it for those secondary, unimportant tentacles, and concentrate more on the main ones.

aswhitehead
07-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Octopus & squid legs are a perfect scenario for ikbooster. Check out this link:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/IKboost_octo.avi

Also, if you go to this link there are some more IK boost videos:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos

That should get you going.

aswhitehead

Pancho
07-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys, I remember trying IKBooster for the octopus and as far as I remember there was no feedback as it needs about 240bones+. Anyway, I'll give it another try. The spline deformation would be great, no, would be gorgeous, but there's no way to bank rotate the tentacle. But I'll try to deform my bones with a spline, but am almost sure that this is not going to work. Important would be that the bone chain would inherit its length and doesn't strech.

Maybe there's something else.

Cheers
Pancho

ercax
07-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Take a look at this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53778). Download the Curve Bone plugin, and try it. Castius made a good tutorial/explanation for them in the same thread.

Don't forget to get the UV plugins made by the same guy !!

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2006, 07:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.