PDA

View Full Version : Rendering an underwater scene with VRay

PsychoSilence
07-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Hy Guys,

i have to render an underwater scene with VRay. So far so Good. i kinda "pimped" the underwater tutorial by pete draper (deconstructing the elements) and changed the settings for VRay. Now i want to have real or faked caustics...Did anyone do this allready and would like to share his/her experience? or is there an easy way to fake caustics due to less rendertime then real caustics? (maybe with a projection map wich lights only objects under the water surface)

Hope to get input soon ;)

regards and thanks in advance

Anselm

jigu
07-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi PsychoSilence,

check out this "underwater lighting challange" thread.where u can find lots of usefull information.:)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=370846&page=1&pp=15

check out each page of this thread.jeremy also posted some links of caustics projection maps( images/movie) and with that u can fake the caustics.

i would go with "submerge(lume)" and "fog" in MR. i don't if any volume shader is available for vray.but u can do the trick by rendering "submerge(lume)" shader pass sepratly and compositing it later.

-Jigu.

AlienImmortality
07-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Hey,

I did an underwater scene not too long ago. You can find caustic sequence generators online. That will give you like 30 loopable images you can then map to an overhead spotlight. You can speed up or slow down the images in after effects. It works really nicely.

Annie.

PsychoSilence
07-22-2006, 11:47 AM
thanks für the reply, i will have a look at the thread as well as the caustic sequence generator! :)

anselm

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2006, 11:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.