PDA

View Full Version : How to?

Krimble2000
07-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Hello, i'm learning python, python is the first programming language i'm learning.

Owkee here's the question: I need to make an agenda but i don't know where to start.
(build a program that puts all the days in a dictionary, the keys are yyyy - mm - dd, the values is empty list for the appointments. )
I'm not allowed to use functions, or other fancy stuff. I'm just past for loops so I can use for loops.

How do I start with the agenda script. (I don't want a fully working script, I want to program it by myselves.

Is there some kind of a smart trick to get your idea to working code, some standard things that makes it easier to transfer your idea to code.

Thank you,

playmesumch00ns
07-20-2006, 09:10 AM
What exactly are you trying to do?

What is an "agenda"?

What do you want the program to do?

Carina
07-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Is there some kind of a smart trick to get your idea to working code, some standard things that makes it easier to transfer your idea to code.

What I normally tell my students when they're struggling is to describe in words what's going to happen, one step at the time. Normally by doing that they end up with words that just need to be "translated" into code.

ThE_JacO
07-20-2006, 04:45 PM
it sounds like your're still at your very first steps.
having a mid term plan for what you want to do, like with the agenda thing (by which you mean phonebook I guess) is a good thing, but if you're still at the point where you think a for loop is a tool in itself, then you probably want to read some basics.

for python O'Reilly Learning Python is pretty decent and doesn't assume the reader is an idiot; I would reccomend you buy it and go through it page to page a couple of times before being concerned about a design draft.

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2006, 04:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.