PDA

View Full Version : realism

zealotweb
03-13-2002, 11:57 PM
i have seen some very good peices in this forum and never know how you guys do it. I'm a newbie to graphics and want to know how to make realistic 3d characters. I have heard about the dodge/burn and all that but there must be more techniques than this. Anyone know of any. PS: they must be quite easy and i must be able to use them in psp7.

Khar_Negt
03-14-2002, 07:44 PM
Well, first learn to draw. With that you can draw realistic character(Changing view isn't a problem since you know what you're doing when you draw :)
Photoshop is just a tool... nothing more :)

JoBbE
03-14-2002, 08:14 PM
hm don't get too special.. often it's not the way you create a picture that is important, it's the result. so the actual technique you use doesn't matter that much.
dodge & burn is good for highlights / shadows , but you can also use lighter/darker colors you paint over the picture...
psp7 is ok, just like ps, gimp, painter or whatever tool you might use.... (ok, ms paint is something for d4 r341 phr34k0r ;) )

(...)
03-15-2002, 01:53 PM
I have seen some very good peices in this forum and never know how you guys do it. I'm a newbie to graphics and want to know how to make realistic 3d characters. I have heard about the dodge/burn and all that but there must be more techniques than this. Anyone know of any.

http://www.sijun.com/dhabih/gallery/howto/

Read this. It's where I got all my 2D paint skills from.

zealotweb
03-15-2002, 11:26 PM
haha! this is sooo weird. That is the only character drawing tutorial i have ever read. I found it a few weeks ago. But thanks any its quite useful. However, it just involves the dogge/burn tools and a bit of blurring. :(

balistic
03-16-2002, 01:59 AM
You need to learn to paint. Period. That doesn't mean you have to actually use /real/ paint, but you should look into traditional art instruction instead of digital art tutorials. Here's a basic tutorial on how to express form:

http://www.anticz.com/anticz.htm

(if it doesn't automatically start on the light and dark tutorial, click on "learn" and then find that article)

Use the PS paintbrush tool and go to town.

Fetus23
03-16-2002, 08:20 PM
I agree with a balistic here....learn traditional methods (paint/sculpting/drawing) then go in for the digital stuff.
If you know nothing about color theory, proportion, flow, negative space, etc. then you'll have alot of trouble trying to get things to look "good" in a program like PS or painter.......it all starts on the canvas.

staglider2
03-20-2002, 03:14 AM
Go buy a good book on human anatomy for artists, not the scientific medical version (although that could be useful even) and read and study it. make endless amounts of studies. Also buy a book about Leonardo Davinci, the guy has incredible good portrait and anatomy studies. Study the 3 basic elements of drawing : form, dimensions and direction. Study it a lot.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.