PDA

View Full Version : Painter on an Intel Mac

brushoff
07-19-2006, 02:53 AM
Hi folks

I'm soon to take delivery of a new MacBook Pro. I will need to run Painter IX.5, but understand that it is not yet Universal Binary (and runs currently in Rosetta).

Is anyone running this version of Painter on an Intel Mac and if so, how goes it? - Any noticeable performance problems or glitches evident?

Cheers and appreciate any advice

Roger Q.

BUZZFX
07-19-2006, 04:54 AM
Roger,

Don't know about Painter, but I find Photoshop, GoLive and Illustrator very slow in Rosetta.
I would also like to know how Painter runs in Rosetta.

rattsang
07-19-2006, 10:40 AM
why get a "windows" mac ? why not just use a pc or a mac- can somwone explain the advantage to me.

ewiser
07-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Hi folks

Is anyone running this version of Painter on an Intel Mac and if so, how goes it? - Any noticeable performance problems or glitches evident?

Cheers and appreciate any advice

Roger Q.

Well with the .5 update of Painter they addressed the issues that Painter had with running on an Intel mac. I have a 17" MacBook Pro with 2 gig of ram and have had no problem with Painter or Photoshop. Now I do made sure not to run both Photoshop and Painter together.
An to make sure I have no problems I might restart and clear out my ram for a session of Painter.

BUZZFX
07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
why get a "windows" mac ? why not just use a pc or a mac- can somwone explain the advantage to me.

Well once you try a Mac you'll know why users stick with them. A Windows mac has all the benefits of a Mac (simplicity, reliability & power) and can also run Windows XP (natively) so really you have the best of both the mac & pc IMO.

Philippec
07-19-2006, 06:07 PM

It's not a "windows" mac. An Intel Mac is a Mac (*).

The advantage is that intel-native software is very fast on it (I have a MacBook Pro). Non-native software (like Painter) just runs. You may feel it's slower than a recent PowerPC-based Mac, but in my case it's faster than the 800MHz G4 it replaces. So as usual, your mileage may vary.

To answer the original question: Painter 9.5 runs fine on Intel-based Macs. It's not as fast as it could be were it native, of course, but it's very acceptable, even quite fast, especially if you are upgrading from an older machine.

(*) That Mac can run Windows at full speed, which is a benefit to some people...

brushoff
07-20-2006, 02:29 AM
Hey guys

Thanks for that feedback. It answers my question and addresses some of my fears. I will indeed be upgrading from an older G4 667mhz Powerbook, so by the sounds of things, I may even see a slight speed bump.

I also suspect that Corel, having no particular gripe with Apple (unlike Adobe), will probably address the Univeral Binary issue sooner than later. It would appear that some other software developers have no major drama's reworking the code (Games like Quake 3, X-Plane and UnReal Tournament were out very quickly, as was an update for Maxon's Cinema 4D). And I think I saw that Wacom had already released an update for their tablet drivers?

Cheers

Roger Q.

kraal
07-21-2006, 05:16 PM
just so you know Maxon has been working with apple for awhile they developed the code for cinema 4d well before the intel macs came out that is why they are out so fast ... remember cinema 4d 9 came out for macs first

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2006, 05:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.