PDA

View Full Version : Self-portrait - Vendetta, Socar Myles (2D)

Socar MYLES
01-19-2003, 09:32 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/24949/vendetta_large_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/24949/vendetta_large.jpg)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/24949/vendetta_large.jpg

I don't often have some time to paint pictures just for fun--usually I have to work. But I got a little free time over the weekend, and decided to rework an older self-portrait (www.gorblimey.com/art/vendetta.jpg). I wasn't satisfied with the old one--I don't know what I was thinking with the perspective on the schnozz, and it doesn't even resemble me that much! So I figured I'd do a new one.

As far as what kind of critiques I'm looking for...well, this one's pretty much done--already got some great advice over at Sijun and eatpoo. Just thought I'd post it anyway, by way of introduction and so forth. I've been looking at Sir Joshua Reynolds' work a lot lately, and have been influenced by his style.

I just heard about this forum today, so this is my first post--hope I didn't mess anything up. :eek:

Firas
01-19-2003, 09:41 AM
this is very nice peace.. i love it ..:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

also your site.

Michael Chen
01-19-2003, 09:46 AM
Man, do you still live in the 18 and 19 hundreds?

But I like the work :buttrock:

Very artistic :thumbsup:

lostbullet
01-19-2003, 11:00 AM
I just Love You ... i mean the painting :cool:
It's realy stylish, nothing to add, just perfect!

Benjamin ::LostBullet::

Enrique Gato
01-19-2003, 11:04 AM
Absolutely awesome. Lovely piece of art.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

lildragon
01-19-2003, 11:24 AM
What more can I say? :love: you are a true arteest Socar :arteest: What an amazing way to introduce yourself to the forum...

When I look at this piece it makes me think, (which all good art should do IMO :wise: ) and I'm here wondering

- what type of woman is this?
- why is it that a woman of elegance is posing in front of an aging wall?
- why does she wear a bandage on her right hand?
- why is the look of her face full with malice?

I can't question the technical artistic values of the piece but only the content! Which is why I humbly give you this: (an also check 3dfestival.com in a bit)

You have received the CGtalk choice award . Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Awespiring talent Socar just awespiring!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame - when it becomes available

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/award_jan_2003.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

urgaffel
01-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by lildragon
What more can I say? :love: you are a true arteest my man :arteest: What an amazing way to introduce yourself to the forum...

That's not a man baby, it's a woman ;)

Seriously though, awesome portrait. I like how the hands look a little old and the face is still ageless... And the graffitti in the bkg. And the bosom, and the rose, and and and... I could go one and list details but I won't :)

Suffice to say, it's great.

lildragon
01-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Yeah I had to correct myself when I plugged "her" on 3Dfestival heheh
sorry about that Socar :)

salud

Robbert
01-19-2003, 11:52 AM
Brilliant painting skills!
nice piece of work. :applause:

fango
01-19-2003, 11:56 AM
reminds me of Vicomte and Yslaire, awesome work. :bounce:

Socar MYLES
01-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Wow, I'm honoured by the warm response here--thank you very much, everyone!

fango - Hey, that's a real compliment - thanks a million!

Robbert - Thanks very much!

lildragon - Hahaha, don't worry about it! People make that mistake all the time--it's easy on the Net where you don't see people when you "talk" to them. Anyway, I'm very flattered by the mention on your site! Now, to answer your questions:

- what type of woman is this? It's me--this is my self-portrait. I don't REALLY dress like this (couldn't afford to even if I wanted to, ha ha!) but I can be quite dramatic at times, which is why I usually paint myself in some unusual costumes and surroundings.

- why is it that a woman of elegance is posing in front of an aging wall? Even the most elegant lady can come from a less-than-savoury background. ;)

- why does she wear a bandage on her right hand? One tends to get a little bloody when getting revenge!

- why is the look of her face full with malice? Well, the title of this picture is "The Vendetta"...it's about revenge. I'm not REALLY going to go out and kill anyone, of course. But I can think of at least one person I'd like to crush like a bug!

urgaffel - Thanks very much! Actually, it's kind of hard to tell at this size, but the hands are wearing white gloves. I guess making the gloves so close to flesh-tone made that a little ambiguous. Glad to hear you like it, though!

Enrique Gato - Thank you very much--glad you enjoyed it!

lostbullet - Wow, that's high praise indeed! Thanks!

Rukuwa - Haha, no--although I do think old-fashioned costumes are cool. I think it's fun to paint things that wouldn't really happen, but would be kind of neat if they did. :)

Firas - Thanks very much--glad you like my work!

urgaffel
01-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I realized that it might be gloves, but I like to think of them as old hands since it's a nice juxtaposition :)

*edit*

Nice little detail with the skull and bones above her head

lildragon
01-19-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Socar MYLES

- why does she wear a bandage on her right hand? One tends to get a little bloody when getting revenge!

LOL!! I love it! :applause:

salud

urgaffel
01-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Go back to Maya LilD and close IE ;)

visionmaster
01-19-2003, 12:34 PM
waooooo :)
remind me witkin's photographies.
:surprised :applause: :applause:

InnerVortex
01-19-2003, 01:06 PM
i believe this is one of my fav images from you, its great, i love that kind of poses, and the contrast in meanings mencioned.. the cloths(i wish i could use some XVIII cloths!) the background wall etc.. u just rR0ZxZ11

Chewey
01-19-2003, 01:17 PM
"Dude Looks Like A Lady"

Steve Tyler

nose
01-19-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
- why does she wear a bandage on her right hand?
Isn't that her left hand? ;)

Well, I like this painting, looks very good to me. Do you have more paintings like this?

Incitatus
01-19-2003, 01:41 PM
breathtaking

Hexodam
01-19-2003, 02:14 PM
amazing:applause:

I checked out your site and was just totaly blown away:eek:

Survivor_2k
01-19-2003, 02:35 PM
very good work, great style! :arteest: :bowdown: :thumbsup: :beer:

Dreamwave
01-19-2003, 03:12 PM
IT ROCKS!!!!

Great job :applause: :thumbsup: :beer:

Menge
01-19-2003, 03:22 PM
:surprised :surprised :surprised
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I think i just fell in love with you
hahahahahhaha
great piece of art!

XerC
01-19-2003, 03:34 PM
incredible. im speec le s. .

PhilOsirus
01-19-2003, 04:01 PM
I really like it, and it has a semi-anime style to it. Superbe!

danylyon
01-19-2003, 04:49 PM
SOCAR!! :bounce:

great to see you here & welcome!

Your art is (as always) amazing.. this one though has a bloody great atmosphere to it. I love when you do dark stuff!

cya

cg81
01-19-2003, 04:51 PM
i really like this kind of colours and there associations.

Amazing work

congratulations

Gotham
01-19-2003, 06:12 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Crazzy Legs
01-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Sir Joshua Reynolds was definitly the artist. A few years ago I was ask to read "Discourse 15", very nice indead. More recently I read a small overview of his life, I was a little discouraged by the authers writing of him, but at least it was full of facts. I hope to see more of your work on here.
The balance in the image is good, and the vertical movement, using lights and darks, to the face is paced really well.
As I said before, I'll be happy to see more work.

seantree
01-19-2003, 07:20 PM
great piece. Nothing to crit here. looking forward to more.

mustique
01-19-2003, 08:25 PM
This is obviously someone and something different! :buttrock:

Whereby "being different" is the biggest imaginable compliment an artist can get, in and out of my humble opinion.

hanzo
01-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Geat work!:applause:

YAAAA!

dtrimble
01-19-2003, 08:56 PM
It looks great! I would get rid of the flower or whatever that is on her dress, it looks like a pile of bird shite right now. Those painting skills are very tight though, love the image!

flamedevil
01-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Wow
That's Amazing !
I love the pose and the feeling of hatred in the eyes.

Beautiful work ! :buttrock:

niut
01-19-2003, 10:07 PM
great work!

rafiadrian
01-19-2003, 10:23 PM
I love the colortone emotion . light and shadow superb

keep up the good work, Socar:thumbsup:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Savage_Henry
01-20-2003, 03:01 AM
really superb!!!:thumbsup:

right click
"save as"

jason-slab
01-20-2003, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Savage_Henry
really superb!!!:thumbsup:

right click
"save as"

yeah another pic for my ever growing collection

some really great work on your site:thumbsup:

|jason

wonder
01-20-2003, 07:27 AM
really really like it!!!
but one question:
I notice some chinese words on the wall.
what's that mean?although I am a chinese.:p
i found that u seems like use some chinese text .ur site I found a "mouse"~

Lalie
01-20-2003, 08:05 AM
She's simply beautiful..

If this is king of cloth you're wearing, just tell me where you found that cause i'm an old dark romantic too ;)

I hope you'll have much free times to keep us dreaming ...

:thumbsup:

Socar MYLES
01-20-2003, 08:33 AM
Yeek, lots of comments! I hope I don't forget any!

urgaffel - Thanks! Although the bottom of that graffito is hidden by her hair, there's also inscribed on the wall a plus sign and a drop of blood--so it "says" 'death and blood'. A little overdramatic, I know...but, hey, this whole picture is kind of dramatic!

visionmaster - Thank you very much--I'll have to check those out.

InnerVortex - Thanks a lot! I'm glad you like the effect--I had originally planned a less modern background, but the idea of gang graffiti was just too tempting.

Chewey - Hahaha, yeah, very fitting! :D

nose - Thanks! I have a lot more paintings on my site. Most of them are of animals and stuff, but there are a few other fantasy pictures in this vein.

Incitatus - Thank you!

Hexodam - Thanks a lot--and also for taking the time to look through my site.

Survivor 2K - Wow, that's a lot of emoticons! Haha, glad you like it!

Dreamwave - Thanks...rock on!

Menge - Aw, thanks! Glad to hear you enjoy the art, too!

Xerc - Haha, so I see! (Seriously, though, thanks!)

Phil "Osirus" - Really, you think? I've never drawn any anime, although I do think Amano is pretty spiffy. I like your Kefka icon, by the way--Final Fantasy 6 rules!

Danylyon - Wow, you're here too? It's like...EVERYONE knew about this forum except me, haha! Thanks, too! I'll do more dark stuff when I get time.

Bozo - Thank you--these are my favourite colours too.

Gotham - :thumbsup: to you too! Haha, thanks!

CrazzyLegs - I'm afraid I don't know much about Reynolds himself--just his art. I've really been captivated by him lately, and while I'm not out to bite his style completely, I see no harm in trying to pinch a couple of well-placed techniques! :D

seantree - Thanks very much! I will post more next time I get some spare time!

mystique - I quite agree, and am very flattered by your compliment!

hanzo - Thank you very much!

dtrimble - HAHAHA, I love it when people speak their mind! I didn't get rid of the rose, but I did touch it up a bit so it looks less like bird poo.

flamedevil - Thank you! I had hoped that feeling of hatred would get across!

niut - Thanks very much!

solidgrafi - Thanks--I was going for a bit of the chiaroscuro look this time around!

SavageHenry - Well, that's high praise indeed!

stal3fish - Thanks very much, and glad you liked my site!

wonder - Thank you! I'm pretty sure the text is actually Japanese, though--I looked it up on the Internet because I don't really know many kanji. It means "revenge". The picture you are talking about on my site, though, that one really is Chinese--I looked that up on the Net too. :D

Lalie - Thank you very much! Unfortunately, I couldn't possibly afford clothes like this in real life--I just made them up. I'm sure there's somewhere one could buy something similar, though--a lot of people sell renaissance faire costumes and Victorian and Elizabethan reproduction clothes online. There's a lot of that stuff on eBay but most of it is cheap and flimsy--you'd do better to search on Google for "period costumes" or "renaissance/Victorian/Elizabethan reproduction clothes".

fxgogo
01-20-2003, 10:43 AM
like the style

blindleader
01-20-2003, 11:14 AM
I love this painting but one thing is bugging me. Your face appears (to me) like it's painted on the wall. I think this is because of the very similar palette used in this area.

...Or maybe it's just the idea of the face being painted on the wall popped into my head and now I can't shake it. :shrug:

But hey, it's great. I'm jealous :thumbsup:

le_faya
01-20-2003, 12:16 PM
really impress, it is so good!

I like so much this paint.......ouatcha
This give desire to start painting.....thanks ;)

Bradf0rd010
01-20-2003, 02:23 PM
I really like this. Fantastic piece of work. :thumbsup:

I'm having a browse around your site now, which looks just as impressive.

self-portrait
Complete aside, Socar appears to be quite hot :D

kmercy
01-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Great Work Socar! Fantastic job...the stare...the morbid atmosphere...you're quite the dramatic character. Love your work.

But the greatest thing about this whole thread, is the way you reply to each and every coment...you are obviously a wonderful person, it would have been impossible to see your darker side had you not painted something so ominous.

Great work.

Keep'em comming.

TylerHunter
01-20-2003, 07:25 PM
heheh, that kicks ass

Tyler

Socar MYLES
01-25-2003, 07:42 AM
Hey, sorry it took me a few days to come back to answer the last few comments--got a bit busy with other stuff. :(

fxgogo - Thanks! This style is kind of new for me--got to try some new stuff with it!

blindleader - Thanks for pointing that out--I hadn't noticed it myself. Maybe it's because some of the tones from the wall are also in the shadowed regions of the face...not sure.

le_faya - Thanks very much--glad to have inspired you!

Bradf0rd010 - Haha, thanks...for the compliments on my picture, my site, AND my looks! ;)

Reeves - Thanks a lot! Ironic that I almost forgot to reply to the guy who complimented me on my replying to everyone, though, eh? Seriously, it's nice of you to notice. :)

TylerHunter - Thank you!

godfish
01-25-2003, 10:06 PM
Wow! Great picture! Very moody! Love the expression on her face-not sure whether shes looking at something or thinking about something! Great!

zaki7
01-27-2003, 03:24 PM
impressive work.

TiCool
03-02-2005, 03:56 PM
very beautiful

SpudCrowley
03-15-2005, 04:38 AM
Great work!! I kind of expected to see a glass of absinthe next to her.

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2005, 04:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.