PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Tablet without a pen?

The Idiot King
03-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Is the pen for a tablet something specific, or just a baton to apply pressure? I can probably borrow an unused Intuos tablet from a friend, but they can't find the pen or mouse. Will it be useless?

I'm probably just borrowing it for a while, so I don't want to buy replacement parts.

underdog
03-14-2002, 10:56 AM
yes without the pen it is useless

Bionic Antboy
03-15-2002, 09:37 PM
How, exactly, does the Wacom tablet work? I've been tempted to crack open my pen and try to figure it out. Does anyone know of a link? It would be neat to know this, because if one could jerry-rig their own stylus, that would be really cool.

balistic
03-16-2002, 01:43 AM
You can't make your own. The stylus communicates with the tablet, and is powered by induction. The tip and eraser press down on piezoelectric switches which enable the pen to know how hard you're pushing . . . in other words, its the pen that reads pressure and not the tablet.

I'm not sure how they measure sytlus tilt.

Kinda makes the $40 they charge for replacement pens seem reasonable, huh? :)

Bionic Antboy
03-16-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by balistic
The stylus communicates with the tablet, and is powered by induction. The tip and eraser press down on piezoelectric switches . . .
(snip)
I'm not sure how they measure sytlus tilt.

So that's how they do it! Clever little piezo-electricians! :)

I was just curious. I suspected that there was more to the pen than a hunk of plastic. I guess the $40 makes sense.

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.