PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

pguzin
07-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Hi

I want to model couch/loveseat/chair in Maya. I'm novice and learning by myself by reading Maya help or tutorials in web. I do not know from where to start. I read that NURBS modeling is suitable for such an object.

Do you know any tutorial to model a chair?
Or Is NURBS really right to learn for modeling a chair?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Looking forward to hear from you :)

mlynch
07-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Nurbs or polygon modeling is all a matter of personal preference. There are various forms of modeling, and then varying techniques within those. What you eventually feel comfortable with and what you prefer to use in a given situation comes with experience. I've heard folks say that Nurbs modeling is outdated, and others say that spline modeling isn't as capable as box modeling... I say: if it works for you then use it. Now, my personal tendency would be to use box/polygonal modeling... but that's me.

What kind of chair are you looking to create? Do you have references, or are you working from your imagination? Do you have any images you could share about the type of chair you want to create? This may help in suggesting a path, or two, to start down.

You may also want to check out subdivisionmodeling.com their tutorial section (http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3) has grow quite a bit, and even though I don't think there are many Maya-specific tutorials it may give you some ideas.

Lastly, my biggest suggestion is to just start creating the chair - regardless of whether you have a chair related tutorial or not. The best way to learn is to just start "playing" around. It will open up some avenues of thought for modeling, as well as allow you to find techniques that don't work for you and/or the project your working on. Unfortunately there is rarely a tutorial that fits exactly what we're looking for - in most cases we have to pull knowledge from a few different sources to create the specific item or scene. And depending on your time frame for this project try creating two different models of the same chair - one using polygon-based modeling, and the other using nurb-based modeling and see how each works out for you.

I know this probably wasn't that answer you were looking for, and I know it's daunting to just dive right in, but sometimes that's the best way to learn.

pguzin
07-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi mlynch :)

Thanks for your comments and time to explain. It really helped me. I have been trying to learn Maya for 3 weeks. Through this time, I just read Maya's own help and applied it step by step. Since I lost in tutorials, forums, etc. and didn't know where to start, I thought that to start from the help might be good. Anyway...

While looking tutorials, help or somewhere else I noticed the fact that you explained. You can do an object modeling by applying different modeling techniques. There are different kinds of ways to do something. So, If I understood the whole idea, why did I ask the tutorial? Of course, I didn't hope to find a tutorial that explain everything I need. It was just for a starting point. I think I afraid to it by myself. But, yesterday I closed all tutorials and just did it myself by trying what is happening with my knowledge I learned up to here.

I attached the chair in my living room that I want to model. This will be my second object model, the first one was my coffeetable :) After I finish, I'll share it.

I started, as you said, from primitive poly cube. By using Bevel, I softened the edges. The body has almost finished. Today I'll do the legs, and arm parts. In picture, I dismantled the arm parts. The only difficulty will be seam places in the cloth and texturing it accordingly. May be you can give an idea for this part.

Thank you again :)

mlynch
07-20-2006, 02:41 PM
I started, as you said, from primitive poly cube. By using Bevel, I softened the edges. The body has almost finished. Today I'll do the legs, and arm parts. In picture, I dismantled the arm parts. The only difficulty will be seam places in the cloth and texturing it accordingly. May be you can give an idea for this part.

Thank you again :)

You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear you went ahead and started this. And I'm glad to hear you're progressing. :thumbsup:

I'd create the creased seams in the seat buy cutting the model in each area, beveling the portions of the cut that lay between the control loops of your seat's edge beveling. Once the new cuts are a little beveled I'd just push the ceter of the bevel down below the surface of the seat a bit. ...And that should give you a good start with the creases.

I hope that helped. :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2006, 02:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.