PDA

View Full Version : Painless Lightsaber

mikeboers
01-18-2003, 09:29 PM
I have now seen one too many people making lightsabers the painfull way... I think I should share the wealth.

<edit> The tutorial used to be right here, until I made it into a PDF </edit>

The tutorial is located here, http://homepage.mac.com/reitsma/SaberTutorial.pdf

Take a look a bit farther down to see my final render.

CHEERS! :beer:

Kaiser_Sose
01-19-2003, 09:29 AM
I can not follow along since I have never worked with ae expressions

That would be an awesome full tutorial

FerdiWillemse
01-19-2003, 12:14 PM
Sounds great. Do you have a preview for us?

mikeboers
01-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Ok ok... I'll make you guys a full tutorial with screenshots and everything else...

Give me a few hours... I need food first. :)

FerdiWillemse
01-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Food, what's that? I'm too lazy to get to the frikkin' frigurator hehe.

So, there's a tutorial hanging in the sky? That'll be great! Please eat quick ;)

mikeboers
01-19-2003, 08:41 PM
Phew! *big sigh of relief*

Here ya go guys... http://homepage.mac.com/reitsma/SaberTutorial.pdf

Please give me any comments or corrections you have, especially corrections... There's probobly a good dozen typos in there.

My final render is located here... http://homepage.mac.com/reitsma/final.mp4
I know, i know... only 2 seconds... whatever.

CHEERS! :beer:

FerdiWillemse
01-19-2003, 10:27 PM
Thanks Sector996! I just saw the final render, looks cool too! I'll check out the PDF tomorrow, I'm sure you're technic rules ;)

Thanks again mate!

FerdiWillemse
01-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Hey Sector 996, thanks for making us this wonderfull tutorial! It looks like you've put a lot of time in it:thumbsup:
I'll experiment with it and show you some results soon.

Thanks again mate!

mikeboers
01-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Your very welcome!

I have also discovered the error in my ways... the pixels are not square... it screws up the math in the expressions.

I will fix it up soon... as soon as I figure it out how to do it. :p

Kaiser_Sose
01-20-2003, 11:22 PM
Thanks sector

Why do you find this easier than rotoscoping your clip

mikeboers
01-21-2003, 12:44 AM
'Cause you only have to track the two points, and it automatically does the proper arc, and the round corners, and the curved edges.

It can also be ajdusted very easily (ie, width of blade, width of motion blur)

It may take a while to set up, but for projects of more than a few seconds, it is well worth the trouble.

...And I have also made a few big advancements in the area of lightsaber developement, and will release version 1.1 of my tutorial... eventually... gotta remake it.

I figured out the whole 'the tip point ain't lining up properly', the scaling issue, arc width adjustment, flicker, multiple blades, colisions with objects, colisions with other sabers, sabers going behind you, and so on... I think I've gotten a little too adicted to making tutorials.

I'm now working on one for having multiple copies of the same character interact with each other, and that hollow man thing from, you guessed it, Hollow Man. They involve a bit more than just AE... They go into shooting techniques, AE, and some 3D stuph using Cinema 4D R8. I'm also planning on a 3d compositing one...

Feel free to give me some more ideas, I'm really addicted to this now.

ADIOS! :beer:

kraal
01-27-2003, 02:41 AM
u got my attention i also use c4d........can't wait

DarkEnder
03-20-2003, 08:14 PM
So is the update to this tutorial still coming?

mikeboers
03-20-2003, 11:58 PM
Eventually... ;)

Some bigger work came up and I actually... completely forgot!

But I have to make a LARGE volume of educational stuph for one of my classes next year... so I shall post as I make. Most of them will be for C4D... but with a good deal of integration with AE... so there should be something for everybody!

jussing
03-21-2003, 09:37 AM
The tut's gone!! :(

- Jonas

mikeboers
03-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Sorry bout that! :rolleyes:

It has been restored at the URL above... I'm gonna try and find time this Saturday to update it... but don't hold your breath...

MiKEY

jussing
03-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Thanks! Looks good!

...but... now the final render's gone... :-/

Cheers,
- jonas

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.