PDA

View Full Version : dual monitor question

Gilgamesh
01-18-2003, 08:09 PM
So I want to have dual monitors on my next system. I already have a 19 inch viewsonic, my question is, should I get the exact same one for the second monitor?
Basically I'm just curious if there are going to be issues if I get one that's a 21 inch, or if it's a trinitron.
Also, the card I'm looking at is the Gainward Geforce4 Ti4600. Is that going to be strong enough to run them both at 1200x1600?
Thanks

Sieb
01-19-2003, 01:32 AM
If your running XP, then there should be no issues running different monitors at that resolutions, especially with a Gainward 4600. The model of monitor doesnt matter either. But I think 2k handles different resolutions differently, I don't quite remember.

dvornik
01-19-2003, 01:40 AM
It'll work in win2k as well. In my opinion different sizes are not too convenient to work with, but there are no problems as far as the card and the OS go.

Gilgamesh
01-19-2003, 02:47 AM
Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll probably go with the same size, and nearly the same type. I was just curious.

Spankenstein
01-20-2003, 05:49 PM
I would get as close as is humanly possible. I also worry about running that much real estate on one card.... :hmm:

Northchild
01-22-2003, 12:57 PM
I figured I'd latch on to this thread -

I'm running XP Pro with 4600ti and a SONY E400. I'm thinking about getting a second ViewSonic monitor. Do I need another video card (in addition to the one that's in here) as well?

BrainFaucet
01-22-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm currently running an Abit Siluro GeForce4 4200 with a TV and a monitor. Just as an experiment, I set the desktop to split between the two of them. Granted the TV's low resolution makes things impossible to read, but it worked just fine. I'm pretty sure if it'll work with a TV and a monitor it'll work with two monitors just fine.

NorthChild: if your video card has two monitor outputs on it, then you shouldn't.

Hope this helps!

jussing
01-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Hey guys, great thread, here's a little buttload of questions... ;)

How do windows behave when maximizing using dual monitors?

How do I control which monitor a certain window should maximize in?

If I have a window maximized on one monitor, and want it on the other one, how do I do? -Do I "Restore", then move to the other window, then "Maximize"?

Can I maximize one window across both monitors?

For Max users: How do you open the "normal" window on one monitor, and another viewport (or set of viewports) on the other monitor?

(I'm THINKING about buying the Gainwards super-duper GF4, plus an additional monitor, but I don't yet know enough about dual monitors do make the investment. And that is why I ask)

Thanks a billion!

Cheers,
- jonas

Spankenstein
01-22-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by jussing

If I have a window maximized on one monitor, and want it on the other one, how do I do? -Do I "Restore", then move to the other window, then "Maximize"?

All of these things are controlled by secondary software, like nVidia's nView that comes with their cards, or the awesome Ultramon. You can configure options to dictate behaviour relating to all the scenarios you listed.

Sieb
01-22-2003, 04:29 PM

-Depends on if you use nView or not, and how. nView will keep windows on thier own monitor, maximizing it will only maximize it to that current screen. But you can also setup spanning. Or if your in XP, disable Dualview and everything behaves like in 2k.

-nView will let you set to maximize in the applications current screen, or a default screen.

-Double click the title bar to unmaximize, drag over, maximize.

-Again, this depends on the settings you have setup. nView has a detailed setup you go through when you activate it via Desktop Manager in the video card advanced settings. But in XP, to get an application to maximize over both screens, you have to disable Dualview which is XPs built in dual monitor driver. This can be done in the latest nvidia drivers. This will then let XP handle windows like Windows 2000 does, and let nview work completely. This means windows span monitors without issues. I know for a fact that this is the only way to get Maya to span. But the only drawback I have encountered is that everything tends to opens in the middle, between both screens. nView doesnt always force them to open on one screen or the other like its supposed to. So I just leave dualview on.

I have also had issues before where I had my Gforce 2 DHPro which had dual outputs. I had that running a monitor, then another Gforce2 in the PCI slot, and windows would refuse to let the second card initialize. But this isnt the case if the AGP card has a single VGA output. Its odd.

And unless you have a 4200 or higher Gforce4, the second monitor output isn't fully OpnGL accelerated I believe. My windows in maya didn't always update till I upgraded my 440 to a 4600.

Do I need another video card (in addition to the one that's in here) as well?

If your 4600 has dual outputs on the back like most, then no. I am assuming it has the VGA port and a DVI port (big white one). If thats the case, you just need a VGA-DVI adapter which you can find at Belkin's website for like 8 bucks or so. Most 4600s now adays come with them. This will let you plug regular analog screens into the DVI port to get dual monitors. This is how I have mine setup.

aYs
01-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Sieb

-Double click the title bar to unmaximize, drag over, maximize.

there's a much quicker way to do this
you can asign hotkeys for almost everything you can think of with nView

so just setup a hotkey for moving to Nr 1 and another for Nr 2
now you can move the windows from one screen to another even if the two displays are running different resolutions

Gyan
01-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Sieb

-Depends on if you use nView or not, and how. nView will keep windows on thier own monitor, maximizing it will only maximize it to that current screen.

Unfortunately that's not the case with all applications. I've used nView, currently using Ultramon and have used just the inbuilt support of XP. Some applications aren't intelligent enough, I guess.

When I maximize Sasami2k (a versatile media player), it occupies the whole CRT and 20-30% of the left hand side of the LCD (The LCD is situated on the right). Since there is no acceleration on the LCD, no video shows up there. Really annoying. I've to manually size the window.

jussing
01-22-2003, 11:03 PM
Spankenstein, Sieb, aYs and Gyan - you're the greatest! :bounce:

Thanks for the replies!

Cheers,
- jonas

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.