PDA

View Full Version : Parenting Handels and Clusters to a RIG?

FibreOptix
07-16-2006, 05:07 AM
I am finally understanding how to rig a character and the idea behind it. But ofcourse I have a long way to go yet. But there is something driving me nuts.

Basicly what I want is my character and all it's animation handels, helpers or locators (Call em what you want) to travel with my characters in a nice clean package. But some don't and others do but behave odd and not in a clean fashion.

EXAMPLES:

1. On my Leg and arm joints im using a Rotate Plane solver. I have handels at the knee and elbow so the bend points to this handel. Cool. But I have no idea what to parent these handels to? In the tutorial I was using - it said to parent the Elbow Handel to the Shoulder Joint. Problem is when I move the handel it just rotates around and round the elbow twisting the crap out of my mesh.

2. Also the CV cluster in the Spline IK on the back joints. I made a Locator for it, and tried to place it my master group so all these handles would travel with my character. But when I place the Cluster into the Master Group it breaks my IK SPLINE.

What do I parent these things to?

I tried parenting the Elbow handel to the Wrist handel which solves the constant rotation around the elbow problem but now the handel is going all over the place.

Any advice?

instruct9r
07-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Dont parent the Pole vectors for the arms to the shoulder because when you move the Pole Vector the shoulder is rotating, that's why you have that effect..
you can parent them to chest Controler or the first controler that's below the chest (that is moving your upper body)

hm i didnt quite understand the 2'nd question but try to turn the relative on for the clusters..

FibreOptix
07-16-2006, 09:50 PM
The reply.

Chest Handel eh? That makes sense. I'l try that.

The second question - I'm using a Spline IK on the Spine and created a Cluster. I made a locator for the cluster. But when I move the character the Cluster icon "C" and it's locator stays behind, it does'nt move with the character.

I hope that it clearer.

instruct9r
07-16-2006, 10:02 PM
ok i will say it other way... What you mean i made a locator for the cluster??

you parent the cluster to the locator or you constraint the cluster to the locator?? And where is the locator is it parented to the character?? Wha you mean when i move the character, you group everything and move it or you move the root??

FibreOptix
07-17-2006, 12:20 AM
Okay,

In regards to the cluster locator, the locator is not a handle it's just a locator it's not parented to nothing. When selected it, just identifies where the CV Cluster is, because the cluster is hard to select. I click the C icon the "Create Cluster" made, then I went to CREATE --> LOCATOR.

The Character and the animation handles are in a group called "Matser". When I move the master the "C" icon or cv cluster does not move with the character like the other handles do.

When I try to parent the CV Cluster ("C" icon) and it's locator to the "Master" it breaks the Spline IK.

I just want the cluster to move with the RIG.

Is that clearer?

FibreOptix
07-17-2006, 03:39 AM
Oh crap I just realized, I'm wrong about.....

"I click the C icon the "Create Cluster" made, then I went to CREATE --> LOCATOR."
What I meant to say was DISPLAY --> Component Display --> Selection Handel.

Brain Fart, sorry.

FibreOptix
07-18-2006, 01:17 AM
Okay I think I solved my problems.

instruct9r, your right about the Pole Vector Control object, parenting it to the Chest control Worked. But it's wierd that in "Learning Maya - Character Rigging" book they suggest you parent it to the Shoulder joint, which creates a cycle, and that's bad.

Also the CV cluster not moving with the character, I set the IK Spline to relative, and parented it to the Master Control object, now it does not fall apart when I move the character.

I hope this helps someone else.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2006, 01:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.