PDA

View Full Version : New Animation needs a crit

Wilson-3d
07-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Hello.
I am trying to slow my reel down a little and have been working on some new animations.
I think that covers everything.

Please critique away!

*Please see final version below (running out of web space)

Thanks
-Chris

mistasam02
07-14-2006, 10:17 PM
cool stuff man! "man i have no ideas at all.. wait!... nope, false alarm" lol. i thought it looked cool, but you could probably speed up some of the parts where he gets the idea, looks around, moves his hand at the table, etc. that is, if you're into the poppy style like that. also he kinda slows down when he loses the thought (im sure you meant for that, but maybe have his eyes look back and forth to keep the action goin?) just a thought.. but yea looks good so far!

o and is that hogan? i didnt know there was a rig with cheek-blowing muscles! lol

fightingthumb
07-15-2006, 12:47 AM
hey this looks pretty solid! first thing i noticed was not concerning the animation, just the framing of it. you might want to pull out just a little, i think you might get some clipping at the end and that would be a shame. i like most of your acting choices, however i think that when he gets his idea, it might be best if he goes as far as to pick up the pencil before he decides it isnt such a good idea. also, watch the archs of the hands and timing of the fingers. the hands pop and float a little, and the fingers are pretty floaty. but it looks like a good start! keep up the good work!

bugzilla
07-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Very well done. Especially the way the finger presses against the side of the head. Little things like that can be hard to do.

lutonomy
07-15-2006, 07:31 AM
This is looking really good man! Nicely done and some great subtlety. The only thing I might suggest is making his ending facial expression different from the starting one, as they're the same right now. Might add some nice contrast if he's noticeably more disappointed/annoyed/whatever that the great idea he thought he was getting wasn't one.

Great stuff, I'll watch for updates!

Wilson-3d
07-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks so much for the great comments and crits.

mistasam02
I animated scupt deformers for the cheeks. This is PJHogan.

fightingthumb
That right hand has been tough trying to get it to kind of pause and not float. Same with the fingers. I will keep working on that and also the arcs.

bugzilla
Thanks a lot.

lutonomy
Great idea. I will work on that. Hope to update this weekend.

Thanks for any more comments and critiques, it's really helping.
-chirs

Wilson-3d
07-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Here is an update.
Thanks a lot for the critiques.
I incorporated a lot of it into this version. I just realized his right hand might need some overlap as it falls at the end. Something looks off to me there. I hope the fingers don't look quite as floaty.

I would love to get some more critiques.
Thanks.
-Chris

Wilson-3d
07-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Hello.
After receiving a nice long critique from a buddy of mine, I have another update.

Thanks a lot for any more critiques.
Chris

Capel
07-20-2006, 10:26 PM
it looks good so far. a little long, but sometimes you'll get shots like that. anyway, i'd have him move his left leg toward the table when he leans over as he gets his idea. right now the legs are pinned to the floor and the knees are locked as well. i'd keep the knees alive throughout the animation as well, subtle but alive.

Wilson-3d
07-22-2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the crit Chris.
I will have an update soon and will take a look at the knees and that left leg you mentioned.

Wilson-3d
07-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the crits and comments. I also got some other crits from a few friends and have another update.

Capel - thanks for the comment on the knees. So much of them are off screen I was not worrying about them but I think seeing them a little and the thighs moving with them loosened it up and helped out. Good Eye!

A few people mentioned to me they were not sure what was going on so I pushed the facial expressions a little more to try and lend to what he is thinking and placed the hand closer to the pencil among some other things.

I think I am just about finished with this one but can still give it one more pass. So I would appreciate any more crits or comments.
Thanks
-Chris

Wilson-3d
08-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi. I went in and did a few more tweaks and tried to give the entire piece more rhtyem so it is not all moving along at the same speed.

Let me know what you think.

Final Render (http://www.chrismyers3d.com/animation/cmyers_thinking.mov)

Thanks
Chris

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2006, 02:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.