PDA

View Full Version : Races of Middle Earth - Character - brasshorse

brasshorse
01-18-2003, 07:10 AM
Hi everyone. :)
Here's my Challenge submission. I made one large image for the WIP up until this point in order to save bandwidth and all that. Sorry if the pictures are too small.
I'll be posting a larger, completed and coloured version of the beast design along with a write-up about the backstory within a few days.

For now, here's the drawing so far. Thanks.

http://conceptdesign.ath.cx/aaronstg/lotrbeast_WIP.jpg

-aaron

davi
01-18-2003, 07:14 AM
Awesome. Very manly and big.

seburo
01-18-2003, 07:20 AM
nice process & sketches, brassymchorse. damn, i dont think anyone can top this.

lildragon
01-18-2003, 08:27 AM
Welcome back Aaron, I trust trav told you about the challenge? ;)

Kickass work as usual man, I'm keeping my eye on this for sure

salud

Kirt
01-18-2003, 09:27 AM
:eek: Oh damn ... Brasshorse is here too!

Note to everyone: Check out his website! Badass stuff! You'll like ... I promise!

I'll be watching this one Brasshorse, I loved your Autumn beast and I'm sure this one won't be anything less than spectacular! :thumbsup:

tmt
01-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Whoa, man, I like it very much! Especially because I love comics :)

Tommy Lee
01-18-2003, 02:18 PM
wow...great start. DAMN cool beast!!!!:beer:

Bruzundanga
01-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Dawn

very nice sketch

and very nice gallery in your website

waiting to see some colors on it

brasshorse
01-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the comments so far, everyone. :)

Here's a colour update. I still have more to go, and when I post the final I'll include the name and story. Thanks again.

*UPDATE* I removed the Colour WIP image to save time for people with slow modems. The finished design is at the bottom. :)

-aaron

Kirt
01-20-2003, 12:19 AM
Nice! I have nothing to say really. It's just wonderful. :thumbsup:

Only one nitpicky thing I could come up with ...
Maybe the chain could use a couple more links so that it doesn't look like it's attached to the tenticle.

lildragon
01-20-2003, 01:04 AM
:cry:

SheepFactory
01-20-2003, 01:05 AM
:bowdown:

Aaron you are amazing man!

brasshorse
01-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Here's the final design. Lemme know if the image is too large, and I'll see what I can do. There were issues with loss of detail.

*EDIT*
Here's the backstory, and a HUGE THANKS to Samurai - who basically thought it up and wrote it into words with his vast knowledge of Tolkien-lore. He's the man.

In the fourteenth century of the Third Age of the Sun, in Middle-earth there again arose the nine servants of Sauron the Ring Lord. The foremost among them came to the north of Eriador, where he made the kingdom of Angmar in Carn dűm. With legions of Orcs and Hillmen of the Ettenmoors, this Nazgűl lord, who was at that time called the Witch-king of Angmar, waged constant war for six centuries against the Dúnedain of Arnor.

In the year 1974 of the Third Age, the last city of Fornost fell to the might of the Witch-king. The Witch-king's possesion of Arnor was brief, for his army was defeated by the Elf-lords Círdan and Glorfindel and by Eärnur, the king of Gondor, at the Battle of Fornost. During the battle at Fornost, the Witch-king went abroad on the field upon a steed gifted to him by Sauron. This beast was called "Vantanyérë", the walking grief, and horror went out before it like a chill wind. Its speed was much more than that of a horse, and it went about the field leaping great distances. Where its foot struck the earth was left a grey blight and all that was green turned brown and withered against its breath. Any men who assailed it were made to shrink away in weakness as if old age had taken them and a cold numbness restrained their limbs.

In earlier times, Vantanyérë bore Sauron away in secret from the wrath of the war-host of Valinor and the ruin of Beleriand in the War of Wrath at the closing of first age. It escaped death again in the War of the Last Alliance when it fled Mordor into the Ephel Dúath and then into the north. When the Witch-king established his throne at Angmar, by the will of Sauron, Vantanyérë found his way to him and became the chief of his stable. The beast's end was met in the battle of Fornost by the hands of Glorfindel who had impaled him upon elvish spear as the Witch-king rode forth to run him down on the gateway bridge. Its death was slow, and it continued to rage until the last of its breath was gone. Never since that time had a beast in likeness to Vantanyérë walked the lands of Middle Earth.

Near the closing of the third age, remembering his defeat, the Witch-king dreaded Glorfindel and would not flee to the riverside, even when faced with the charging waters of the river Bruinen and the ringbearer close at hand.

http://conceptdesign.ath.cx/aaronstg/LoTRbeast_Colour_Small.jpg

-aaron

Royal
01-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Awesome design man, I totally dig it. Clean lines and nice coloring.
:wavey:
Btw are you still coloring with a mouse?

fleedawg
01-21-2003, 12:34 AM
That is easily one of the coolest (and scariest) things I've ever seen! Looks great!

art7sayan
01-21-2003, 02:19 AM
I really love it! Cool work again mister Aaron! :applause:
U got this sharp style that I dig so much, like Sam liu's style (...did I say it to u before...no? :D)

Keep postin' pleaz!

Good luck too!

-Arty-

Briareos
01-21-2003, 06:27 AM
ohh aaron ooooooooohhhhh aaron oh yes OH YES

brasshorse
01-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Thanks a whole bunch for the comments and kind words, everyone. I'm glad you like it.

Royal: Thanks man. Yeah..still using a mouse. :/

CgFreak: Flattering, thanks. Interesting design you have going on there. Try doing what I do..observe wildlife..watch nature shows on Discovery Channel a lot. Get a dog and look at how they're designed. Then, watch movies with monsters and creatures in them and try to design something better than what you see on-screen. :)

art7sayan: Thanks! Yes...Sam Liu is my idol. Really, someday I hope to get anywhere near how awesome he is.

Samurai
01-22-2003, 01:09 AM
CGFreak: Don't you think it's just a tad tasteless to put your own work in someone else's thread? I find it distracting.

Anyway, awesome work Brass. I mean that by its dictionary definition of inspiring awe. It wasn't hard finding inspiration to write while looking at that badass.

And now, the Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla - :airguitar :buttrock: :drumrock: :xtreme: :airguitar

Tommy Lee
01-22-2003, 05:10 AM
Hey CGFreak...forget about the dork!!! Brasshorse wasn´t saying anything against it. I also would have no probs when ya post in my thread for questions. I think its nice from ya to post here because ya got inspired by Brass. I think he isn´t defended or something.... We are a big Family. Look at Samurays posts. FORGET IT!!!!!:beer:
Cheerz buddy

Jon Jones
01-22-2003, 06:12 AM
Brasshorse, man, that's totally amazing and inspiring work. Love your stuff.

And Samurai, I very much dig the character background you created for it, really brings it to life even more.

CGFreak \ Tommy Lee: In case you guys didn't realize, that "ignorant dork" of which you speak wrote the character background for brasshorse's creature... he's not just some random punk complaining. In fact, he was polite about it, and I agree that posting an enormous image in someone else's thread without invitation is rather poor etiquette, as is petty name-calling.

I'd also like to point out that in all his posts, brasshorse has been taking great pains to keep this thread as modem-friendly as possible by optimizing the image count, so everyone can enjoy it more easily. Having other people posting images in his thread makes it more difficult to manage that. It's just simple respect and consideration for others, nothing worth lashing out at anyone over.

So come on guys, that being said, let's just sit back, have a pint and enjoy the pretty artwork, eh? :beer:

Tommy Lee
01-22-2003, 06:38 AM
So.. then he should say who he is. BTW the optimizingpoint is a poor argument.
Anyway...Enjoy the art:beer:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

davi
01-22-2003, 10:43 AM
"theres a lot of ignorant ppl like you out there"
that's probably the stupidest and most immature thing i've ever heard in my life... if you are trying to start a grudge with someone do it in private.... If something is fan art related to a post someone did i think it's justifed, but your piece being "inspired" didn't really need to be tagged IMG, a simple link would have tastefully worked.

HyPer
01-22-2003, 10:36 PM
Hey brasshorse, as iv said in IRC, frigging awesome stuff :D i realy like the multi eye thing, very kickass
and the story only improves it :D
id like to see you get a tablet and move onto some more uber real shading :)

btw, CGfreak, stop making it everyone elses problem.

lildragon
01-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Guys please do now saturate aaron's thread with this pettiness, this is not what the challenges are here for. Just help out and enjoy each others art. If you wish to continue the discussion please take it to PM/Email

thx

I apologise Brasshorse... carry on

salud

Kirt
01-24-2003, 01:39 AM
So ... it's not going to have the wings? I kinda' liked them even though they looked like they wouldn't support it's weight. Maybe they're used just for flash or intimidation? Hehehehe.

Turned out nice though, Brasshorse. You should get a tablet sometime. I'd love to see your work then.

[msf]
01-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Whoever wrote the storyline, sounds like something right out of the simalrillion excellent work!

brasshorse
02-04-2003, 06:30 AM
Kirt - Yeah, he was going to have these sort of membranous butterfly type wings, but I realized when painting that they sort of detracted from the horror of the creature..and pretty, fluttering wings weren't going to work. Plus, it was hell with a mouse...hopefully I'll get a tablet soon. :) Thanks!

And thanks to everyone who commented. I appreciated it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.