PDA

View Full Version : When to cycle?

ChrisN
07-14-2006, 10:49 AM
I have a scene where a boy should approach a schoolbench. The distance from the character (initial position) and bench is 3-4 meters. This requires some steps, so my question should a keyframe every step on the way or should a make a walkcycle and just let the character go on a spline?

/ Christoffer

stewartjones
07-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Keyframe all the way! :thumbsup:

LucentDreams
07-16-2006, 09:57 AM
well if you ahve a global master position controller of some sort for your character, you can animate his walkcycle in place and then move the master controller to make him move forward. I's still copy and paste and tweak rather than simply cycle the walk myself though.

sburgoon
07-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Cycling is bad. It is sometimes necessary (for a very protracted walk sequence) but if it's short and managable, don't take the lazy way out. There is nothing wrong with copying and pasting extremes and tweaking them a bit, but definately don't cycle in short walks (3-5 strides). If you MUST cycle, due to walk length, animate at least 3-4 strides by hand and have them link up and cycle at the end. The longer the better. The human eye/brain is less likely to catch a 3-4 stride cycle than it is a 1 stride cycle. (Stride here means a step with both feet... which is actually not what stride means... but uh... I can't think of the right word and I'm tired, so I'm going with that).

Headless
07-16-2006, 10:49 PM
There's no reason why you can't create a cycle and then animate variation ontop of it with layers (depending on what app you're animating in, of course). Really it all depends on what you're doing though: In this case since you're only talking about 3 or 4 meters, i'd just keyframe the whole thing if I were you.

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2006, 10:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.