PDA

View Full Version : What Co Labs is, what it hopes to be, and the rest...

unLevel
01-18-2003, 03:11 AM
Ok, I hope at least of some of you are somewhat interested in what in the world is Co Labs...

It is a project that is being worked on by me, 2 artists from cgtalk and my brother.....(if that helps any..I can't tell you all who the 2 artists are, they can "reveal" themselves in this thread if they wish to...)

It all began many moons ago, back when the infamous rtk prject (which soon grew to 30+ pages of one thread...) They soon realized that that project had grown out of it's home of 1 thread here at cgtalk. I, being a helpful person and not an artist yet, had a wonderous f2o.org account which gave me 75 megs and a database to setup my own forum. I offered to give them their own forum there, with no ads and such, and I organized them all folders at an image host to store the plethera of wonderful pictures that those artists made....

During that time, a few other promising projects came to join our little family of forums....

Also during that time, I recieved a few emails asking me what my intent was by hosting these projects, and also asked how they could assist me in pursuing these hosting of projects.

So, we formed a team, got a name, Co Labs, and started to work.

We're having great fun in this process, and WE'RE TAKING OUR TIME, so there's no deadlines, and no yelling at people to get work done, one of the fastest ways to end a collaborative project.

I hope to assist the forums here by offering each of the projects an outstanding website and forum hosting options through Co Labs (as one of our sources of revenue will be webdesign, but these webdesigns for projects will be free, so don't worry...)

I hope that this mascot challenge, and hopefully the website that ensues, will reveal our intent and ability to help these wonderful forums here at cgtalk.

Well, that's about it, sorry for being longwinded and blatantly motivated...

unLevel
02-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Wow, it seems that whenever I start a thread, no one ever replies...oh, well...it's probably for the best.....

mmh.Nemo
02-05-2003, 03:58 PM
hihi - you are funny unlevel ;)

for my part i admire the work you are willing to put into collaboration projects. They are fun to do and great learning experience for most of the contributers.

So what can i say .. go for it ;)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

unLevel
02-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I'm funny!!!

Zmei
02-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Hi,
This is an interesting idea, lets see if it goes ahead.

keep up the good job.:buttrock:

Luis R. Lobo

Brassfire
03-03-2003, 09:32 PM
This sounds very interesting, and similar to something I was interested in setting up.

More information?

unLevel
03-03-2003, 10:54 PM
more information?

hmm...

well, right now, we're all busy with school, and we're taking this slowly, as quick deadlines get people yelling at one another, and thus ends the project..

Right now, I'm working with a few people on freecg.com an idea another guy had that's something like this, with some differences

HIs would be primarily on free resources, such as models and textures, where I would be focusing on skilled artists "adopting" projects, adn a idea archive for people like me who have more ideas than they have time...

I would love to hear what ideas you have, and maybe we could roll this whole thing into one huge graphics community, based on helping others?

Brassfire
03-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Very interesting.

My focus is on independent game creation, which is an area that, although I am not yet skilled in it at the level I wish to be, I really love. (Mostly, my art sucks and I don't program, but I have pretty high standards, a good sense of organization, and a LOT of determination.)

I have been tossing around the idea of creating a (perhaps not-for-profit?) company that quality indie game developers can affiliate to, sort of like a magazine, an online store, and a promotional association/club.

I'm in the process of starting a small business right now, so we'll see how much time I have for other fun things. I'll also have to see if there are other sites out there already... I know of a couple but my focus is a little different.

freecg is still awaiting it's portal? If you need help with website stuff, let me know.

unLevel
03-06-2003, 02:36 AM
Sounds good, brassfire, adn I think that you guys' portal IS working, you're twin brother, you're peter, right?, showed me the phpnuke one and the postnuke one, and I've foudn one that is just a mod of IBF, so it would work perfectly with it...

Speaking of that non-profit company, I foudn a pretty cool site which makes its profits from publishing games made at their forums, http://www.garagegames.com I think that's it

I'll be around, but since you don't use msn messneger, I'll just chat to your brother...h.eheh....

EDIT: you said you're into game development? hmm....There's a lot more types of cg that could also be emphasized...

Take a look at the collab forums ( http://collab.f2o.org/forum ) and just look at the categories we've setup...that might help, but probably won't...

It's just an idea for forum organization, and the specific projects would each get their own sub-forum under their categorial forums...

I think we have an example (flogtales) on CoLabs, but I forget....

Don't register or anything, we're kinda keeping everyhting quiet there....

unLevel
03-06-2003, 02:49 AM
oh, and btw, I was trying to be funny on all those forum descriptions on Co Labs' forums...

if they're not funny, I have a strange sense of humor......

Just take a look and tell me what you think, please....

Brassfire
03-06-2003, 05:37 AM
Hehe, I'm no peter... don't know many female Brass Fire Dragons named peter. ;)

Is there another Brassfire kicking around? Better not be! (I invented my name and my race, and was the first one on the net five years ago with this name. Copydragons. Grrrr.)

I checked out freecg and it said something about the portal not ready yet, check back in February... I prefer e-xoops for portal software, myself, much easier to administrate than postnuke.

Your forums look cool, love the humour. Wish I could think of crazy stuff like that for my forums, but I'm always too serious. Ah, well. Hadn't heard of Invision Board, either, I'm going to have to check it out. Looks a lot like vbulletin, but php... cool.

Though your Co Labs logo gave me another idea for the mascot...

GarageGames is definitely a cool site. I was considering using their engine a while ago, but decided to go 2D with a really good free engine instead of put up $$$ at this stage. Maybe for the sequel. That's the sort of site type I'm thinking of for the association, but based on a specific genre rather than on a specific engine.

brassfire at hotmail for msn. ttyl!

unLevel
03-06-2003, 11:48 AM
oops, I got you confused with the newyork lightwave group, 2 brothers who are working on freecg...

It seems that we've got a few people who are interesting in this kind of project....

Weird...

The other "freecg" project, with the twins, was started in the General Discussions forum, here's the link:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46974

Let's see, with 3-5 people full of ideas, this might go somewhere....who knows?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.