PDA

View Full Version : IDE & SCSI Prob

Clondike7
01-18-2003, 02:24 AM
OK
I have a 7,200RPm 60GB Western Digital IDE HD on my workstation. I'm considering to make an upgrade and buy a 10,000RPM 18.4GB HD SCSI HD.
BTW, the 10K HD will be the master/boot HD, the 60GB will be a slave/storage HD. Here are my questions:

1. Whats the diference between IDE and SCSI drives?
2. Will my computer work correctly with a SCSI/IDE configuration?

Clondike7
01-18-2003, 05:12 PM
anyone...?:annoyed:

GregHess
01-18-2003, 06:05 PM
1) SCSI requires an adapter card. Most decent adapter cards start at around 100-150 USD. If your investing in a 10k rpm drive, your looking at a Ultra2, or ultra160 adapter.

Main benefits of scsi are....

a) faster response times
b) better transfer rates (with the faster drives)
c) Ability to daisy chain multiple devices on a single irq
d) better multidevice control. (Using more then one device on the same chain simultanously)

Main disadvantages....

a) Increased noise (substaintally)
b) Increased heat (due to rpm increases). All 10k rpm scsi drives have thermal requirements. Most require some sort of airflow above, below, or across the drives surface.
c) Greatly increased cost.
d) Necessity of having an adapter card (increased cost)
e) The slight pain of having to load scsi drivers while installing the OS.

On a whole, most individuals looking into scsi systems, can get similar performance, for a substaintally reduced cost, by looking into a high density platter high cache IDE drive...like the WD800JB, or maxtor's upcoming 8 meg cache drives. [Or a raid 0 stripe of two lesser cost IDE drives] Some uses of Scsi involve database management, large raid arrays, and video work.

SCSI does not aid in rendering, or general use of cg applications (usually) unless your disk subsystem is a bottleneck...which would only occur with extremely large scene/texture sizes, or if your running out of system ram.

2) Depends on your system. As long as you have a free pci slot available, and the scsi controller has an irq free...it should work fine. Don't forget you need a terminator for the scsi drive, as well as enough power to tackle an addtional drive, as well as cooling to maintain it at operational levels.

Clondike7
01-18-2003, 06:15 PM
Thanks GregHess!

you have opened my eyes! I was only gonna spend like the $95 on the scsi drive, but seeing that I need that extra $100 PCI card... makes my wallet hurt...
now u mentioned those 8MB chache IDEs... I think im gonna go for that, cheaper and still better than i have. Much thanks!

Now, another question has arised: If I get that 8MB cache IDE, it'll be 40-80GB, should I make it the master/boot HD or should I keep the 60GB as the master/boot HD? Whats the best config?

Sorry to keep annoying but HDs are really not my field.

GregHess
01-18-2003, 06:23 PM
I always put the fastest hd as the boot/program's drive. I store everything else on the secondary drive (scenes, textures, images etc).

Everyone has their own method, but I feel having the fastest drive where the most accesses occur is a good idea.

Clondike7
01-18-2003, 06:25 PM
much thanks!
gonna look for HDs right now!
that answers all my questions, thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.