PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Jump/Climb WIP

mistasam02
07-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Hey! :D
havn't posted work in a while.. this is an excercise im workin on right now, and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions or ideas on it. rig is from www.3dfiggins.com (http://www.3dfiggins.com/) ..the animation is still rough (could use a lot of smoothing, holds, and more weight to it) but i wanted to see if im headed in the right direction. all harsh/helpful critiques welcome! :thumbsup: thanks!

playblast 640x480
700 kb .mov
right click save as:
http://www.samanimates.com/animation/ninjajump4.mov

update:
http://www.samanimates.com/animation/ninjajump5.mov

tradedaemon
07-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Looked pretty good for rough, I didn't see any glaring unreal movement, but like you said, when you go in for more detail, hands and feet need attention, especially the foot at the end when it steps on the building to get up, looks stiff

Wilson-3d
07-14-2006, 07:23 PM
This is really looking good. If anything I would start a few frames earlier and get a little of the arms coming forward to get into the position the animation starts in. I think it would add a little more punch. Nice work!

mistasam02
07-14-2006, 10:04 PM
cool, thanks guys! :buttrock:

and yea my plan is.. try to smooth this all out, make it look better, and have the intro be the camera tracking along him as hes running on the other surface. at the end i wanna have him get to the top, then fall over the other side after realizing it's just a wall.

haha but theres a lotta ways i could end this.. any other ideas? pole breaks half way? giant penguin falls from the sky and knocks him off? thanks again for the crits!

fightingthumb
07-15-2006, 01:36 AM
hey man i agree with everything said so far. i would just watch some of the finger motion, its a little stiff. and the other thing i noticed was the y translation of his hips. he floats a little in the air after both his feet have left the wall, and then accelerates upward again. just check you graph and im sure its an easy fix. good work! i like the idea of it cutting to a shot of him realizing its a wall and falling over the edge toward the camera! thatd be funny, good luck!

tradedaemon
07-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Have someone waiting at the top with a gun and have the ninja have to kill him? Opens up for a really cool action scene.

mistasam02
07-15-2006, 06:28 PM
ooo the battle ensues!! :twisted:

thats a cool idea.. since i want him to look really driven in his climb like he's super badass. the ending will either be a funny twist or a semi-serious action shot.. could still be funny actually, if he gets up there, hits the guy and throws him off? LOL anyway, back to work, i'll post more when i get a chance.

Trazza
07-17-2006, 08:27 AM
yeah i agree with all the other guys comments and i also thought the final jump onto the roof looked a bit odd. He's making a verticle jump but his feet fly outwards away from the building which would maybe pull his weight in the wrong direction and possible make him fall off the edge. Since his hands are taking the weight then he should be almost centred around that point. And yeah the landing up the top lacks a bit of weight.

It looks cool though. Pretty nice for a rough.

mistasam02
07-17-2006, 07:19 PM
thanks guys.. and yea that does look awkward now that you mention that lol. i wanted to have him swing his leg up as well as jump with his left foot to get momentum up there, but that does look wierd. k i'll try and upload an update soon. cheers :thumbsup:

mistasam02
07-19-2006, 07:53 PM
k, update for the sake of updating.. :D i made some progress, but i already know some things to change on it. at the end, he will twist back more like he's trying to stop the momentum.. and there will be more weight with the little hop-climbs in the middle, because those feel a little light. anyway, please lemme know whatcha think!

2mb .mov
640x480
right click save as
http://www.samanimates.com/animation/ninjajump5.mov

chickensandbeandip
07-19-2006, 10:41 PM
there needs to be more weight to it. you have some but he kinda just seems to land alittle. It can be exagerated more and with the climb as well. it is looking good though.

late,
:cool:

Capel
07-20-2006, 10:04 PM
considering the complexity of this exercise, it's looking pretty good. i wouldn't have him fall off, though. he's really agile during the whole thing, then he suddenly becomes "clumsy ninja" and falls off. doesn't make a lot of sense. but if you're gonna stick with the fall, then it needs to be way faster. it almost looks like he's falling into zero gravity.

mistasam02
07-20-2006, 10:12 PM
lol, that is a good point. my friend watched it and said the same thing, so i'm workin on making him try and catch himself, but too late, and fall a different way. but yea it will be quicker, and the climb has a lot more weight. will update soon! thanks again guys

jamesjonesjr
08-28-2006, 06:59 PM
just a few critiques that might help out.... when he jumps I think you should keep his legs stretched out say a frame longer to really emphisize the force to jump over to the wall...
and when he's up in the air I think his left foot should extend out ahead of the right instead of them twinning like that and the after the first lift up the wall the rest just seem like hes slapping the wall as he translates, he just needs alittle bit more wheight, but other than that its a good start

mistasam02
08-28-2006, 08:00 PM
thanks man! i really havnt had much time to work more on this since like a month ago when i posted this.. but i'll definitely get back on it now. yea he needs more weight.. tryin to keep it at a fast pace up that wall yet still showing that he's propelling himself up there. the last thing i'd want is some crouching tiger action :D so thanks again! all crits/ideas welcome!

nakimushi
08-28-2006, 08:52 PM
hey ;)
the climbing section is quite nice
maybe try to find good first pose before jumping ?
anyway I am sure you can polish up , beacuse I was watch your other animation on your website and it looks really good !!!
maybe we should do some Ninja competition ? lots of people use that model ;)

mistasam02
08-28-2006, 10:10 PM
ooo thats a good idea nakimushi! a lil animation ninja battle :D yea there are like 4 people using him in the WIP forum at this moment.. we could pick a theme and everyone animate it differently or somethin. anyway, thnx for the comments! will be in touch!

zzzpunkiezzz
08-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Yo mistasam02,

Just lookin at what you got here. Its looking pretty good. Maybe try to separate the legs when he takes off.. Kind of reminds me of a frog lol. You’re probably going to want him to bring his body down after each of the steps up the poll he takes. Might want to whip the head in when he lands on the wall... and maybe a shoulder? After the first step up I kind of loose the weight. Event wise, it seems to be very straight forward. Maybe try to have him glace down over his shoulder while climbing? I think that might help with the believability.
I like the camera movement. The initial hop on to the top of the ledge is looking good too. Maybe try to have him balance himself for a few more frames? To me, this is the peek of the animation. Keep it up mang

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2006, 08:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.