PDA

View Full Version : Amplus City

Timmay
07-13-2006, 05:11 PM
A matte painting of a gigantic city. More then 30 source photos were used to compile 30+ layers in Photoshop. C n C are very much appreciated. Thanx!

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/191873/191873_1152810152_large.jpg

Sources:
http://www.artofnargi.com/images/amplussources.jpg

JJASSO
07-13-2006, 06:21 PM
hi tim, welcome to the mattepainting forum, well I gonna be honest about this image .

first of all , mattepainitng is not doing a collage of photos all them has to blend in one.
some of the exposures of the photos does not match , for example the sky is too dark in the far distance it does not match the aerial perspective.
the conmposition needs more work, what is your focal node? where do you want to lead the eye trouhg?
the buildings pespective es different in each one of them also the balck and white levels does not match foreground with backgrond
I think some photos for the water may help a lot , the surface looks too flatten
please visit the tutorials section where I put a really cool tutorial about landscape composition rule sI'm sure your skills will imporve after reading at it

Timmay
07-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanx for the honest criticism. I laid out perspective grids for the buildings.......I thought they all matched up....

My focal point is where the bridge connects the two buildings together. I have the foreground building's rooftop pointing right to it, and my mountains decrease in size as it they get closer to the city.....

Ill check out that tutorial though. Maybe it'll make my problems more clearer to me. Thanx.

roguenroll
07-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Good start, what james said.

There is an art and technique to it. If you want a great hard core crash course to mattepainting, get any of dylan coles dvds. Im far from good, but it helped me in a big way, quick.

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2006, 07:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.