PDA

View Full Version : pc 1066 from pc 800, slower?

AroundTheFur
01-17-2003, 09:37 PM
I recently sold my 768megs of pc800 rdram and picked up a gig of pc 1066 ram, and honestly i think things seem to be going slower. would the psu be an issue here?(in moving up in the speed and amount of ram) mines only 330, and i have a ti 4600 and pinnacle dv500dvd, p4 2.4b, sound card, two 7200 rpm drives, cdr, dvd, and 6 usb 2 ports which havent really been filled up since i put the ram in. does this sound problematic? if not what can be done to assure my ram is running how it should be. thanks in advance =)

danhua76
01-17-2003, 10:38 PM
i can't be sure if your psu is the cause for the ram under performing, but if i had as many components in my system as you do, i would atleast invest in a 400w psu.

with more power than you need, system components won't have compete for the power they need.

it also could be that the ram you bought could be faulty (god forbid), so run some ram tests to figure that out. i don't know of any off hand, but i'm sure you can find some utilities on the web somewhere.

greg hess, you got any ideas?

singularity2006
01-17-2003, 10:56 PM
I remember while messing with various RAM while setting up my Soyo Dragon KT400 board that the BIOS got really messed up in the process (this was due to the fact I kept flashing and resetting my BIOS when it was a USB scanner bug that kept my system from booting right ... just had to power down the scanner for things to boot right) and for some reason the RAM refused to detect at its correct clock speed. I had to flash and reset my BIOS one more time for the clock speed to be detected just right. Maybe check to see if that RAM is truly reading @ the right clock speed? :shrug:

GregHess
01-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Did you adjust your ram settings to compensate for the faster speed? I assume your running the dimms in pairs right? Rambus is designed to be run in a dual channel mode. So I'm assuming you have 2x PC1066 Rimms.

Have your run a ram test? Make sure you disable ECC before running the test.

www.memtest86.com (Run 1 pass)

Sometimes ECC can catch ram errors and prevent a crash, but if your getting lots of ram errors, it'll shoot performance to hell. Always run a ramtest on any new dimms you purchase.

AroundTheFur
01-18-2003, 11:43 PM
ok i tried running this ramtest, and when i reboot it says loading, then it repeats this:
@X:some number
AX:''
BX:''
CX:''
DX:''
and repeats over and over, i had to ctrl alt del to get out. and i have the asus p4t533-c but i couldnt find anywhere in the bios to change the speed of the ram. I tried exflashing a later version on(im on 1007 now and tried going to 1009) but when i did it says that the version i tried to flash didnt comply with the current board. so im sorta confused. any ideas, greg im lookin in your direction =P. btw i saw a thing that said rdram turbo mode in there, i turned it on, not sure what it is(didnt say in my manual). i have four 256s of nonecc ram. thanks again guys =).

GregHess
01-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Er thats really weird. I've never seen memtest do that. I'll have to look it up and figure out whats going on. Did the turbo setting help any?

Did you run any tests before/after the ram switch?

AroundTheFur
01-19-2003, 05:23 PM
i havent really noticed a difference in the turbo mode, and i didnt run any tests prior to switching. the ram may very well be running fine, i havent started school up again so my workload has been too lazy to actually notice a difference in performance. i just want to know if it actually is running at 1066.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.