PDA

View Full Version : Robot Setup

westmeadow
01-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Hiya Everyone,
i've been puzzling over this one a while now. How should i approach setting up an animation rig for a robot or other hard limbed object ( an ant for example :surprised ). Would you go for an fk setup (which i feel would be difficult) or ik (where you could link the individual parts to bones).

Thanks in advance!!
Assie

westmeadow
01-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Guessing by the response, l'll have to think for myself just a little bit harder. Cheers anyway,
Assie

:surprised oow

p.s In case you didn't notice, i'm new here in the forum, so hi! I'm just trying to develop my first character so i can practise character animation. See ya later

joie
01-20-2003, 08:13 AM
The question is that you can choose between any of them, itīs quite the same if you choose to rig a skinned character or a robot, the only thing that changes is the method to bind.
Iīll choose a mixed methof of IK with FK but doesnīt matter wich one of them you use...

westmeadow
01-23-2003, 04:40 PM
Hiya,
thanks for the response Joie. I spose a mix between the two is a logical method of setting up a robot. I just thought there may of been a tested and working method of doing so! Maybe if i get a character design up, i could get some help rigging that specific character!?!

Thanks again,
Assie :wavey:

MDuffy
01-23-2003, 05:00 PM
The basic control rig would be the same whether it is a skinned character or a robot (assuming a humanoid shaped robot of course). Then you would add secondary controls on top of that to either automate the animation of or give controls for animating the various knobs, wires, pistons, or other mechanical parts of the model. If you search through this forum and the forums specific to your software package, you'll find several threads on rigging and they often have examples. Just use them as reference and ideas while rigging your own character.

One thing I would suggest is that you create your rig with bones, nulls, splines, etc, and then parent your geometry to that control structure. That makes it MUCH easier to switch out parts when you change the geometry, compared to if you had rigged directly onto the geometry itself.

Good Luck!
Michael Duffy
mduffy@ionet.net

westmeadow
01-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Thanks Michael,
binding the geometry to bones was the first logical idea i thought of. I will search the forums never the less.

Thanks again,
Assie :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.