PDA

View Full Version : 3dmax conflict with win2k shutdown

danhua76
01-17-2003, 05:04 PM
ok, i've just ran into this problem recently. it seems that after running 3dmax for a while, my system running on win2k would not shutdown. it wouldn't even log out or restart (unless i do it manually). after trouble shooting it for a while, i discovered that if i stop the 3dsmax.exe file in the processes window, my sytem would be able to shutdown, log off, or restart.

now why is my system doing that? has anyone encountered this problem before? is there a fix for this?

thanks ahead of time for any help you guys can give.

nimajneb
01-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Question, what version of MAX and are you running NAV? I seem to remember something on the MAX board about NAV causing the MAX process not to die and subsequent weirdness. I Believe a patch to NAV solved it.

danhua76
01-17-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by nimajneb
Question, what version of MAX and are you running NAV? I seem to remember something on the MAX board about NAV causing the MAX process not to die and subsequent weirdness. I Believe a patch to NAV solved it.

i'm running 3dmx 4 and yes i do have nav installed. i actually just installed norton system works 2003. i'll check symantec's site for a nav patch. thanks. it's weird though that the automatic live updates in systemworks didn't download and automatically install this patch.

thanks again.:applause:

danhua76
01-17-2003, 05:15 PM
was just at symantec's website. they don't have any patches for systemworks 2003 and the nav that came with it. i guess i'll uninstall system works to see if that really caused the problem.

if it was the culprit, hopefully a reinstall of the software might fix it. i dunno :shrug:

if anyone has anymore suggestions, i'm open to them. thanks!

nimajneb
01-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Here's what I found on the MAX support forum...

http://support.discreet.com/webboard/wbpx.dll/read?2678,9e#2678

Think your solution is in this thread.

danhua76
01-17-2003, 05:33 PM
nimajneb,

thanks for the thread info. it looks like all i have to do is turn off realtime protection on nav. i'll try that tonight at my home computer. we're running mcaffe at work, and i've never encountered this problem here.

thanks again :beer:

singularity2006
01-17-2003, 09:22 PM
something weird actually happened while installing SystemWorks 2002 a while back ...

after installing SystemWorks, the first reboot gave me a huge mess of error JavaScript error messages regarding the scripting used in the registration and informational screens. Then upon shut down, I would continually get that screen that says "waiting for program to shut down" and it was for NAV. And on bootup, I'd get those javascript messages over and over too.

I had to uninstall sytemworks and re-install and the problem went away.

steelykeneely
01-18-2003, 05:06 PM
does systemworks work well... I see that quite a few people are using it, what exactly does it do?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.