PDA

View Full Version : Low Poly Trees

Bpanting
01-17-2003, 03:02 PM
I need to make some low poly trees, probably around 1000 polys. The trunk and branches are to hard to do, the problem I am having is the leaves. Anyone have any tips or suggestions for the best way to go about this?

Projectkmo
01-17-2003, 05:20 PM
maybe.... use some texture mapped (leaf) Planes....as instanced geometry...emmited from the branches... make up like 6 different leaf textures.... then use 6 different particle emiiters..emiting from the branches.....course...1,000 leaf planes is 1,000 more polys...
It depends on how close you'll be to the tree... how much detail you need..... you could Use Larger Planes.... and use a texture map that shows a branch with 20 leaves on it... and use that as an emmited particle from the modeled branchs..

just a thought, not sure what app your using... but it should be possible in most things like Max, Maya, LW, ASI etc..

but I'm no pro..

pkmo

Bpanting
01-17-2003, 05:39 PM
I am using Maya. I don't think that will work becaues I need it for a real time sim. Sorry I should have said that to begain with.

Projectkmo
01-17-2003, 05:57 PM
real time sim, like running past the tree.....hiding behind the tree...etc..??

Most games use that lovely 2 plane system... or..... use like 3 or 4...slanted down and out and doing layers of those on up to a peak...

that'd keep the poly low... but look bad up close..

can we get a good idea as to the degree of detail the tree needs? IE...will ya hide behind it... etc... what type of game... it might help to spark some ideas to know.

Bpanting
01-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Right now I guess you could say it's for just a visual simulation of a city area. It will probably later go into a game engine like NetImmerse. I am using fin models for some of the smaller trees but would like to do some more detailed tree models for the larger ones. Hope that helps some.

Projectkmo
01-17-2003, 06:59 PM
well, the single plane per leaf/emitted instanced particles on the branches Idea would look good if you didnt get right up in it... and... apply a bit of Dynamics to it all..... some wind etc... and you got animated leaves... though at 400 to 1,000 or more leaves... that can bog down the machine useing dynamics...

you could also maybe some how tie all the leaves to a node or something that you could easily animate back and forth to make them all move at once like in a breeze etc... or make the node jiggle etc... that might be a quick less intense way to animate them... vs Dynamics... also... maybe do the tree with dynamics but by itself... then composit it in.... you could have several different trees this way.. and then Poly count wouldnt be such a concern..

otherwise.... I'm not too sure = ( sorr yif none off that sparks any help ... I'll think on it some more.

pkmo

Nicool
01-18-2003, 03:50 PM
I'm working on algorithms to generate trees... A lot of random for a realistic render (in a 3d real-time style)... All the braches are generated!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.