PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook Thread of INTERVAIN - 2D/3D

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Womball
06-10-2007, 06:31 AM
It would take me a lot longer to get this far. Your kicking my tuckus in speed. She is not based on you? As for folds, your going to have to get rid of those abs there for that. Also it might have been too early to give her pants, since she may need more fat on her legs if she is supposed to be realistic proportions. That will change how she fits in the pants of course too. ;-)

Intervain
06-10-2007, 07:28 PM
anandpg - hehe! right you are! I hope I'll finish it... ehem... the sculpting at least :)

Womball - me?! I think not.. though I wouldn't be surprised if she does have some features similar... I've noticed everyone tends to do that... we tend to like the people who look a bit like us :)

well - I changed the idea a bit... she's going to be just a woman after all... I do like her in this pose [haven't worked the legs much yet and the skirt needs to look loose - now it's stiff as hell... but I just placed it there to give you an idea of what I'm after]

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/0005wgfb

and a zbrush capture

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/0005xg37

I think I can move on to details now... on all the parts...

ghoul
06-10-2007, 08:48 PM
the skirt does look better! The fast and easy way to get base deformation of it woud be to run a cloth sim in your 3d package and then work from that. btw, did you create it (the skirt) in Zbrush or imported it?

also, from this perspective it looks like it couldn't stick to her left leg like this, would most likely fall down, don't you think?

I like the girl very much, looks "real", not too skinny, or idealized. Great work!

-ivan

Intervain
06-10-2007, 08:57 PM
the skirt does look better! The fast and easy way to get base deformation of it woud be to run a cloth sim in your 3d package and then work from that. btw, did you create it (the skirt) in Zbrush or imported it?

also, from this perspective it looks like it couldn't stick to her left leg like this, would most likely fall down, don't you think?

I like the girl very much, looks "real", not too skinny, or idealized. Great work!

-ivan

yeah it would hang down that's what I ment by saying it's too stiff now - I haven't worked on it yet :scream:.. so well spotted there :)

cloth sim will look ok but there's too much setup to make it work nicely with the hand holding the dress + the deformations will work only on high density mesh which is unpractical and it always stretches in weird directions and I couldn't be bothered LOL.. I have more control by just modeling and sculpting it, I think :)

Intervain
06-11-2007, 12:25 AM
started hacking in the shapes of the legs - they're still rather wonky :scream:

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/0005yfs8

Samanthie
06-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Magdalena, she is lovely so far! It's great to see more of your awesome work!

anandpg
06-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Wow! this is gonna be gorgeous!!:bounce:

kary
06-11-2007, 02:57 AM
Lookin' lovely so far. The skirt is a less sexy look then the shirtless jeans, but given that sexy is not what you're shooting for (with a CG sculpt, gasp) it works ;). Never having dipped into my inner Scotman enough even try a kilt: Is the very deep U shape on the skirt a little unusual? Seems like it's 'grabbing' at the very top of the curve and falling very loose to the front, and with that looseness I'd expect the sides a bit lower.

The only other thing I'm wondering about is the arm pit area. I expected there to be a bit more definition there, but looked up a similar image and:

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/306/untitled1gt6.jpg

The arm pit is as you have it, but there is the pectoral wrapping over the bicep. Although the woman above might be getting some plastic assistance up front she's more or less a natural weight so I wondered if similar wrapping should be in your sculpt. Of course it might not apply because the angle we're looking at doesn't show it, or because the above girl is reaching further back on her head then your sculpt.

Gonna take a stab at a sculpt myself this week, if I can get to the point you're at already I think I'd be satisfied. You've rolling it out as impressively as usual :)

Intervain
06-13-2007, 12:40 AM
thanks very much guys :)

kary thanks for the tip :D - I was actually looking at my own armpit LOL... the pose I have is a tad different than that in the picture but it was still off I agree - corrected it a bit... will still work it more :)

didn't have too much time - just remodelled the skirt in xsi, no sculpting on it yet... the idea is 'morning' - so I want her to look like she's enjoying the sun or something, having just got up...

ok here's where we're at - tons more to do :eek:

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/0005z5ta

Wongedan
06-13-2007, 12:42 AM
great stufff again!

anandpg
06-13-2007, 03:07 AM
Hmmm... I dont know.. the arm pit seemed better in the earlier image. Nice progress anyways..:) What plans for the render? Are you going for realistic texturing/shading?

Intervain
06-13-2007, 08:31 AM
xvampire - thanks :)

Anand - what?! hehe - darn, but I'll still work on the armpit so I guesss I can save it :D I'm not sure about shading to be honest - I'd like to do realistic one, but I'm always scared about rendering on my computer, it's just not the best machine in the world...:scream: I'll see once I finish the sculpting...

gahpe
06-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Your thread are so inspiring !!! Just seeing it I learned a lot and shows how much I need to study ...

Looking forward to see your next studies, drawings and models ....=)

ghoul
06-13-2007, 06:24 PM
I just did a quick setup with primitives (cylinders) in 3ds max and took me exactly 10 minutes (and 4 more to upload and write this). Just to prove my point - it is very easy to setup a sim and then work on it. The results would be much better if I used a real mesh instead of cylinder, but it is the same setup!

hehe :)

great sculpt, keep working!

-ivan
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4582/skirt2eu4.jpg

Intervain
06-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I just did a quick setup with primitives (cylinders) in 3ds max and took me exactly 10 minutes (and 4 more to upload and write this). Just to prove my point - it is very easy to setup a sim and then work on it. The results would be much better if I used a real mesh instead of cylinder, but it is the same setup!

hehe :)

great sculpt, keep working!

-ivan
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4582/skirt2eu4.jpg

well maybe in max... then again I really don't want to do it anyway :scream: - don't see a point of doing something for a modeling portfolio with simulations... my point LOL... I get yours, it may be faster...:)

DDS
06-13-2007, 07:22 PM
damn that looks good. I think the silhouette of her left shoulder looks weird. You see the photo Kary posted? in the silhouette where skin meets the dress, that bump created by the scapula is missing in your model, which makes the shoulder look lonely imo :D. Chest and Abs are terrific.

Mal-1
06-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Great work as always Magda!!

Intervain
06-16-2007, 05:00 PM
gahpe - thank you very much for the kind words!

DDS - thanks :) and thanks for the tip - that's precisely what was wrong with it :)

Mal-1 - thanks Mark :D

well I didn't have much time to work on her these past few days... just worked on basic shapes here and there, so I'm not sure you'll notice any change LOL [still avoiding the hands :scream:]... haven't touched the dress [except for pulling in some places that's why it's weird at the back ;)]... well TONS more to go!

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/00060c77

Womball
06-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Just need to get the back of the hair detailed and get unto this supposed hand issue. Can't see them so can't crit them you know.

Intervain
06-16-2007, 06:27 PM
oh and more trust me ;)... only just started the hair and I'm pretty anal about that part LOL. I'm working on the feet right now [all the nails and such] well the hands are still in the tube form :scream:

Intervain
06-20-2007, 01:37 AM
still adding details - more to be done... for now some fun with what I've got and photoshop :)

http://pics.livejournal.com/intervain/pic/000195h8

Womball
06-20-2007, 03:32 AM
Is the cloth made out of metal? It looks like it could have been hammered since the ridges are so sharp. Also I think you could get more definition in the compression wrinkles on the left part of the stomach( transverse abs I believe).

kary
06-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Is the cloth made out of metal? It looks like it could have been hammered since the ridges are so sharp. Also I think you could get more definition in the compression wrinkles on the left part of the stomach( transverse abs I believe).

I'd need more res, a few angles, and a kinder shader to be certain, but the cloth seems good to me. It's about right for a tightwoven silk (shifts, some nightdresses).

Nod to the definition of the left side wrinkles. They look to be where they should, but a little soft for wrinkles.

It looks purdy to me :) It's a tough shader to read technically, but makes for a nice final image -- it hints in places instead of hitting you over the head.

Intervain
06-20-2007, 10:57 PM
thanks for the comments guys :) I smoothed those creases after some comments in one of the other forums :) - I guess I'll bring them back a tad then :D [it's cool cause I do like them]

ok - here's a more clearly readable version... worked mainly on the feet + the hair and the cloth...

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/0006239d

rasmusW
06-21-2007, 06:43 AM
hey magdalena!

truely beautiful work on these last ones (-especially th last one).
she just oozes peace and calm . very nice.
sorry, haven't got any useful crits for you.
i'll check back later...

-r

Spin99
06-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi Magdalena :)

Loving your sculpt. What I notice is that you can maybe define her scapula spine and back ribs better.
Her face also coming along, the jaw lips and chin still looking sketchy imho.
Generally I'd say you need to look at her bones (?) but the body already looking very nice.

Really enjoying this thread as always. Hope you like my crits ;)

ghoul
06-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Magdalena, looking great! Especially like the colors and shaders, has some charm! I'd have to agree the back needs just a bit more definition, the place where scapula meeds clavicule, and the neck, seems you pressed it where the spine should be, should be inverted :D

Keep it up, I love your sculpture!

-ivan

ha-dou-ken
06-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Wow, Magdalena, That last one is terrific. She has a great sense of weight to her. You're doing such a good job with 'painting gravity' on her. I saw you on the first row at zbrushcentral too. Congrats!:scream: Bravisimo!:applause:

FateBringer
06-23-2007, 04:38 AM
hi

awesome work :buttrock::thumbsup:

Mark

NR43
06-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Hey Magda

been a while :)
lovely sculpting going on here... I think you should do a real one... lifesize :D

Intervain
06-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks folks!

abyss103 - thank you :D

Spin99 - mind?! Oh I am glad of any useful crits :) good points there too! Will make sure to work on them... thanks for visiting :)

ghoul - thanks a lot! I agree about those points :thumbsup:

ha-dou-ken - ah always too kind :D THANKS a lot Isaias!

Mark - cheers! Thank you for visiting and the kind word in my guesbook :D

Johann - thanks! hehe I wish - I want to do a sculpture but the darn armature part just keeps putting me off... don't like doing that :scream:

well folks I've decided to join in my first CG challenge - should be fun! Already some ideas are bubbling in me wittle head... more to follow and hopefully I'll finish at least half of it LOL - but you know me...

collings
06-25-2007, 03:59 PM
gettin' better and better Intervain!

Each time i see your work i get some kick in the ass , thank you for that ;)
I definitely need to start a anatomy thread too and post some Mudbox classical sculpt :D

edit: good luck for the challenge too, have fun :thumbsup:

Womball
06-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks folks!

abyss103 - thank you :D

Spin99 - mind?! Oh I am glad of any useful crits :) good points there too! Will make sure to work on them... thanks for visiting :)

ghoul - thanks a lot! I agree about those points :thumbsup:

ha-dou-ken - ah always too kind :D THANKS a lot Isaias!

Mark - cheers! Thank you for visiting and the kind word in my guesbook :D

Johann - thanks! hehe I wish - I want to do a sculpture but the darn armature part just keeps putting me off... don't like doing that :scream:

well folks I've decided to join in my first CG challenge - should be fun! Already some ideas are bubbling in me wittle head... more to follow and hopefully I'll finish at least half of it LOL - but you know me...

I'd be impressed if you could stick with a idea for 3 months. ;-) It is quite an experience. Or you could do it in a 1.5 months and go unto something else, but that may need some womball whipping and whatever gets your creative juices going.

CyborgJA
06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Woman.
YOU ROCK.

As you know I'm a 2D addicted but I can assure you that I'm drooling over my keyboard looking at her.

itayg
06-28-2007, 09:11 AM
beautiful models. keep up the great work.

itay.

SpiritDreamer
06-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi...Magdalena...:)

BEAUTIFUL JOB ON THAT STANDING FEMALE...:applause: :thumbsup:

YOU ...WILL... FINISH....THAT CHALLENGE....or I will rub your nose in it FOREVER....LOL:scream: ....JUST KIDDING, ...SORT OF....:eek: :)

TAKE CARE, and...GOOD LUCK ON THAT CHALLENGE...:thumbsup:
Glenn

Intervain
06-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Womball I'll be impressed too ;)

CyborgJA - awww thank you soooo much!

Collings - CHEERS! Thanks so much for a visit to this thread :) Really appreciate it!

itayg - thank you very much!

Glenn - LOL yeah I need that nose rubbin' :scream: - would probably do me good!

Intervain
06-30-2007, 12:18 PM
well I have been a total and absolute slacker lately... no drawing no 3d... my job affords me to do more than just modeling lately so I don't feel deprived I guess ;)... still I thought I need to post something seeing as there's so much creativity going on here every day! I feel like a looser LOL...
some random pages from my battered and neglected sketchbook [I haven't got a scanner :scream: - I know I was supposed to get one buuuuut just don't feel a need really... I would never use it in most probability - so I took those with a camera hence the quality!] nothing extraoridinary [alas!]

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/0006akxe

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/0006b3fz

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/0006cqzx

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/0006e1xz

http://pics.livejournal.com/mdadela/pic/0006gaeh

And I'm soooooo sorry Rebeccak for not getting to you about something yet... I know I should be shot in the buttock :sad: --- and I still have to start my challenge... no hope really!

NR43
06-30-2007, 05:53 PM
ok if no one is going to slap ya on the butt, I will :p
now lift it / pick up a pencil or fire up that ZB you're so friggin good with / start sketching for that great contest that is running

do it!
:twisted:

edit: btw, those images in yer last post are not showing

Intervain
06-30-2007, 07:30 PM
:P yeah I know I need a slap - probably more than that... the problem is I'm having second thoughts about my ideas already LOL... new ones creeping in and I'm all confused... need to make up my mind this weekend though otherwise I won't do SH!

darn those images... will have to upload them again... thnx

LisandraN
06-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Beautiful studies - the 3d work is especially inspiring to look at. And good luck with the challenge!

anandpg
07-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Oh! At last!:) Great drawings, Magdalena!:thumbsup:

NR43
07-01-2007, 04:35 AM
lol i fee la bit awkward now that I dó see those last images... I'm sure my previous post would have been totally different :D

It's crazy isn't it... 1000 ideas cris cros around the mind...

lovely studies...

itayg
07-01-2007, 10:01 AM
hi again Intervain, great studies in these last few photos (get a scanner !! hehe)
btw i have question, i'm sorry if its been asked before (i searched the thread but no luck)..
what is the work prossess on those head models you posted in the begining of the thread? do you have a base mesh that you sculpt in zbrush? i'd sure like to know.

thanks,
itay.

batte812
07-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi Magdalena, these drawings look really nice. The last 3D work really is amazing. It would look even better if she was placed in a very bright environment (on the beach or so). Just an idea. Keep up the good work!

tizianoadmirer
07-01-2007, 12:35 PM
3d model is amazing but... OMG ! these 2d studies ! wish I could do that !
-TA

CyborgJA
07-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Eeeeei! It's great to see your 2D sketches! Bravissima !

Rebeccak
07-06-2007, 06:03 AM
Heya Magda,

Just came back from the Pixologic / Zbrush user group event at Gnomon - and the presentation movie, showcasing great Zbrush art, contained two of your models, the ecorche and the shrouded woman. Big congrats!!! It was really thrilling to see your work up there. :)

Cheers,

-Rebecca

CyborgJA
07-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Ehi this is a great news! Congrats dear ! :eek::bounce:

anandpg
07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
WOW!! thats great news!!!:applause::bounce: Wish I were there!!

Intervain
07-06-2007, 08:44 PM
aww - hehe thanks guys. that's nice :) - now I HAVE to get my butt in gear and work some! and Rebeccak... I'm so sorry for not getting to you with something I should have yet :sad::surprised - i know I deserve a kick up my...

Rebeccak
08-10-2007, 06:01 AM
I thought you might like to see this: :)

http://www.rebeccakimmel.com/gallery/albums/Photos/SIGGRAPH%202007/SIGGRAPH_7626.jpg

It was an awesome surprise! :bounce:

CyborgJA
08-10-2007, 09:29 AM
WOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWWWW !!!

It's incredible to see your work in such BIG version :drool:

(ehi...going with this progression, the next time it will take a whole sky-scraper side! :buttrock: )

NR43
08-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Wow *jawdrops*

it looks indeed amazingly beautiful.
Where was this picture taken then?

FateBringer
08-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Hey

great to see :applause:

Mark

anandpg
08-10-2007, 01:55 PM
AWESOME!!!:bounce::applause::applause:

plunq
08-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Wow that's awesome Magdalena, I hope you get a copy of the poster!

Rebeccak
08-10-2007, 03:12 PM
The picture was taken at the ZBrush booth at SIGGRAPH. :thumbsup:

SpiritDreamer
08-10-2007, 05:01 PM
HEY ...Magdalena ...:thumbsup: FANTASIC.....:bounce: :applause: :) ...LOOKS REALLY REALLY GREAT ....:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Intervain
08-10-2007, 11:03 PM
awww how cool! Thanks Rebeccak!!! I was wondering if they used anything I've sent them... nice... I'm now drooling over z 3.1 :)
Oh this has made my week - which has been very unproductive btw. - I was in a hospital for 2 days after collapsing in the street. I have absolutely no recollection of the event - the only things I remember are walking home and then lying in the ambulance ... So the doctor told me to rest, which I have been trying to do :)

I'm feeling quite well now so I hope to catch up with y'all! THANKS again guys!:bounce:

claybub
08-10-2007, 11:36 PM
oh my goodness magdalena. Thats very scary. I hope you're feeling better. Take a break!! Look at things further than 15 inches! :)
You're zbrush work is fabulous by the way. Congrats on your success!!

Intervain
08-11-2007, 01:53 AM
hahaha Caleb you made me laugh with that 15 inch thing - so true!
And thank you very much - coming from you [I'm a fan ;)] that means a lot!

Rebeccak
08-11-2007, 03:46 AM
I really hope you're okay! That's pretty scary. Definitely take the doctor's advice and get some rest!

I'm really glad you like the picture, I was so stoked to see your work on display! :)

Womball
08-11-2007, 04:51 AM
Hope you feel better. Its awesome that you got to see your work this way too!

anandpg
08-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Hey Magdalena! Hope you are better now. Eat well and take rest!

NR43
08-11-2007, 06:52 AM
I agree. Take good care of your body!

Intervain
08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys so much for the kind words :)

here's something I've made lately to learn z-spheres! I've never modeled anything with them before and this one was a bit of an experience - recognizing where I'd make one more sphere in the future ;)

All the parts are made within zbrush - no other app used... I'd say do not use them cubes if you can avoid it LOL... I did use a cube for the rock/flame he's sitting on and I can only say that was a pain!

the sculpt was based on Mark Newman's devil [well 2 of them to be precise... I did a bit of a crossover ;)]

http://mdadela.com/gallery/little_devil_smaller.jpg

the mesh of the little grumpy git:

http://mdadela.com/gallery/little_devil_mesh.jpg

collings
08-12-2007, 04:03 PM
This little dude is awesome. Really good sculpt from zsphere :)
damn collapse accidents are always scary, Hope you feel better now.

SpiritDreamer
08-12-2007, 07:11 PM
HI...Magdalena..HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER NOW..NO MORE DIZZY SPELLS ALLOWED..YOU HEAR ..:)

HEY, I like your little demon :twisted: :) ..I will be watching your progress while your experimenting, and exploring in this new version of Z BRUSH, and am sure that I will be learning alot from you along this journy that your on, ..so please, keep posting..please...YOU, and YOUR work ARE an inspiration to and for a lot of people in here,...myself included..:)
TAKE CARE Magdalena, and HAVE A ...GREAT..GREAT DAY, and NIGHT ...:thumbsup: :)
Glenn

batte812
08-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi Magdalena, that last figure looks great; nice expression on his face.

Take care of your health!

CyborgJA
08-13-2007, 10:56 AM
I love it, the face is SO well described ! :drool:

rdsarna
08-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey Magdalena!
I've seen almost the whole of your thread (in parts) and I can just say that its really BEAUTIFUL! :applause:
You are so fast at moving vertices! :D The XSI work is awesome.....and you've progressed SO much in 2d since your first 2D post! That is why I feel that this place is full of inspirational stuff....
The last piece is Great......
Hope you're feeling all right now....

Take Care
Ratul

PS. A few months back I started taking interest in 3D modeling and yours was the first modeling reel that I'd ever watched and I was really inspired.......THANX ALOT :)

Intervain
08-13-2007, 05:05 PM
collings - thanks a lot for the kind words and a visit :)

Glenn - ah them spells - funny enough I didn't have any spells I just must have collapsed without warning... I am alas having spells nowadays... no idea why... must do some tests...

batte812 - THANKS!!!

CyborgJA - thanks so much!

rdsarna - AWWW THANK YOU! I think that's the nicest thing one could say! I'm glad my work did leave something behind :) I really appreciate your kind words!:love:

Spin99
08-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Very cool little devil, haven't seen the concept tho'
Intervain you think you could post some of your refs sometime?
On the ZB banner at Sig.. totally.

Hope you stop collapsing soon. Take it easy ;)

Intervain
08-13-2007, 08:05 PM
well I posted the refs in other places and forgot here + there's always google ;)... no prob - mind it's not supposed to be a copy :)... here's the original (http://thesculptorscorner.com/Newman/BIG32.htm)

Spin99
08-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks really cool interpretation love yours :P
You could even give him a metal shader look unless you don't want it to look like a metal statue.
You got that matcap thing going yet? Take care.

Cheers.

Frejasphere
08-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Hope you're feeling better and that you have taken that rest-up advice :)
Congratulations on your Z-brush entry at Siggraph, that is really cool! - well deserved too, just don't work too hard (and who's being a mum here - sorry :P )

Nice work! love the grumpy git, made me laugh :)

take care!

a. :)

razz
08-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey, how's the Ubisoft lady doing? Sculpting devils I see, awesome :scream:
Really a lovely creature. You know who's the funniest devil of all? It's the one from Black & White game, HERE (http://www.gameplaymonthly.com/games/blackandwhite2/evil.jpg). Damn, he's funny looking.
Are you calling that one finished?
Always a pleasure to see your work, Magdalena. And good be back here lurking in your thread again, hehe.

Intervain
08-24-2007, 10:11 AM
thank you guys! Well I'm back to my usal self - YAY! - so all's good! LEssons learned ;)

I've uploaded the pixologic booth images onto my server - on demand ;) They are pretty big - didn't want to go through the photoshoping hussle... You'll find them under here (http://mdadela.com/gallery/)

I promise I'll do something new soon - just as soon as I upgrade my computer which is absolutely necessary and will hopefully happen this weekend :scream: ... sigh!

collings
08-24-2007, 10:19 AM
héhé great thanks for sharing the images.

looking forward to see your next model ;)

Lemog
08-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks a lot to share these photos Magdalena...sincerly, you can be proud of you... :thumbsup:

I hope to have a second life to learn better anatomy...

...and of course a third will be necessary to learn Zbrush :scream:

Please, continue to impress us with your creations... :love::arteest::wavey:

Intervain
08-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Hey folks :) Decided to get back to work a bit... a little quick [well quick for me as far as 2d goes - but it was a bit over an hour LOL] study from Rembrandt's old man... not too perfect but oh well:

http://mdadela.com/gallery/rembrandt_oldman.jpg

TurbiX
08-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Nice sketchbook! You'r good ad 3d as well with 2d!! I love all your anatomy studies!

SpiritDreamer
08-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi ...Magdalena ...:)

GREAT to see you back in action...:)
Nice study...captured the feeling/mood right from the start..:thumbsup: ..Really like that brushwork..:) ......MORE..:scream: :D
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Intervain
08-26-2007, 04:10 PM
TurbiX - thanks very much :)

SpiritDreamer - aww thanks Glenn! Glad you like...
http://mdadela.com/gallery/study_girl.jpg
here's another quick sketch... this time I decided to take an old sepia photo and use it only to reference the values but the face is completely different... turned out rather flat I feel...

oh and do let me know if it's taking forever to load those images... it is for me :rolleyes:

NR43
08-26-2007, 06:44 PM
images are loading pretty fast actually

and they are nice too :)
I think the eyes may be placed a bit too high in the last one?
Just mho ;)

razz
08-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi Magdalena!

Good to see you do some 2d work from time to time. It is really useful for you as a 3d artist you know. I've started modeling a head, which I haven't done in more than a year, but to my surprise it is turning outt better than any of my modeled heads. So, knowing how to draw, knowing anatomy helps modeling/sculpting a lot.
Johan is right about the eye placement, they're too high up. That's what first caught my eye. A tad flat as you said it yourself. But I really like the sketchy feel of it.
Oh, and images loaded fast.
Hey, how about a self-portrait using a mirror, m? I'd love to see that.

Intervain
08-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey Johann - Cheers! I agree about the eyes completely but somehow I liked it so decided to leave them like that ... oh well bad choice I guess hehe

razz - thanks!! Oh I agree it's important but funny I'm finding it to be the other way round - my ability to model is helping me to learn how to draw better... I guess the relationship is a bit more complex and knowing the 2 is simply a must... btw - I want to see those heads :)
darn no way am I ever going to do a self-portrait hehe...

Lemog
08-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Ok about eyes, but in other hand, that give her a real personality, with a particular glance, with something behind... and even the real models are not perfect, as also, we're not perfect...
Glad to see more 2d of you :cool:

Gisaiagami
08-27-2007, 06:30 PM
oh nice colors. I liked first image too...ilumation 10 =)

CyborgJA
08-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Ehi ehi ehiiii it's great to see you at 2D !:drool:

Intervain
08-27-2007, 09:44 PM
thanks folks - am busy cooking up that long time ago mentioned workshop in sculpting - hope you'll ALL join in - the thread's a wip so if you see it changing don't be surprised - not official until announced!:)

bumskee
08-28-2007, 02:52 AM
hey you! congrats on that massive print :D looks friggin swweeeeeet!
kewl to see 2d stuff too! yeah the eyes seems a little off but it still works well!
:) keep it coming dude!

Intervain
08-31-2007, 01:16 AM
Min - coming from you that's like an olympic gold medal :) Thanks so much for dropping by!

well here's a little somethign from the workshop so far... I've had a mad sculpting day today ... still a beginning and lots to go

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_2.jpg

NR43
08-31-2007, 05:13 AM
Whoah!

I think I'm gonna use your workshop in my own way and draw those old people instead (without posting in the workshop thread ofcourse, it's a sculpting ws, not a drawing ws)

Intervain
08-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey Johan! I really like your idea :) Maybe I'll give the 2d versions a shot too once the workshop's done :)

well a little progress...

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_3.jpg

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_4.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-01-2007, 05:33 AM
Hi ...Magdalena ..:)

Just stopping by to say ..AWSOME ...:applause: :thumbsup: :bounce: :)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

CyborgJA
09-01-2007, 06:12 PM
:eek:

... (and she calls that a "little" progress :scream: )...(better that I do not express freely my opinion now)... (:scream: )...

razz
09-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Serena, I know how you feel :)

Magdalena, that is really good, but I didn't need o tell you that. I like the wrinkles all around, looks old, haha. Just what is her expression? Is she tired here or making an angry look? No crits really, I only see the stuff that just needs more time to get completed, not anything that is off. So, waiting for more, miss :)

Intervain
09-02-2007, 04:38 AM
hehe - thanks guys!

razz - I want her to look serene and pleased at the same time - I was thinking of giving her hands and knitting... hopefully will have time to do that!

a bit more... loooooots more to go - I'm too lazy to start that showl - I want it to look like it's been knitted or crocheted, which will be painful :scream:

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_7.jpg

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_8.jpg

CyborgJA
09-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Oh well, I permit to express my opinion only cause I think that 4 eyes are better than 2, you know that I love your works and I drool at each single wrinkle.

I think she does not appear "serene", especially cause of the position of her eyebrows. She seems more like the strong head-master of a female school in the 19th century than a relaxed old lady that works at a scarf.
I adore the idea of her working, and I hope you'll find the time too ! :love:

Rist
09-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Is that for the workshop? I think you have captured her perfectly!

Intervain
09-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh well, I permit to express my opinion only cause I think that 4 eyes are better than 2, you know that I love your works and I drool at each single wrinkle.

I think she does not appear "serene", especially cause of the position of her eyebrows. She seems more like the strong head-master of a female school in the 19th century than a relaxed old lady that works at a scarf.
I adore the idea of her working, and I hope you'll find the time too ! :love:

haha Serena - you're right about her look - LOL the comparison to the 19th century headmistress made me laugh! Thanks I'll work those eyebrows some more :thumbsup: I'm working on the base mesh for the rest of the body now so yes she'll be knitting away :D

Fl3wk - thank you!

plunq
09-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Wow Magdalena, great start to the workshop! I agree with Serena, she looks more like she's concentrating really hard, I think the reason is because the corrugator muscle is pulling her brows close to each other.

I also think the skin fold at the corner of the mouth could use a bit more attention. Right now they seem to feel like they are just pushed into the side of the mouth instead of letting gravity make the fold look natural and full. Hmmm I'm not sure if I'm making any sense here... it's still early in the morning and I need more coffee ;)

Can't wait to see more!

Intervain
09-02-2007, 04:41 PM
haha Joel - you're making absolute sense :) You are right about the mouth area - I was thinking the same thing :thumbsup: She looks concentrated you say? well then I'll leave it that way if she's to be knitting!

Thanks for dropping by!

Intervain
09-02-2007, 10:17 PM
phewww the base is basically done - just some tiny things I'm thinking of adding but that can wait...

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_9.jpg

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_10.jpg

jtico
09-03-2007, 02:34 AM
It took me more than five hours to go all the long of this thread. With the cornucopia of art in here, I'm obviously speechless. My goodness! :eek: :banghead:

CyborgJA
09-03-2007, 07:05 AM
"head-mistress", thank you, I've learnt another word ! ^-^

Ohhhhh yes yes yes yes, I see them and she is incredible, absolutely incredible. :drool:

Lemog
09-03-2007, 07:58 AM
... she is incredible, absolutely incredible. :drool:
...I couldn't add something :eek:

SpiritDreamer
09-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi ...Magdalena..:)

BEAUTIFUL....JUST BEAUTIFUL,....and also..AMAZING, INSPIRATIONAL ECT. ECT. ECT. ECT. ...:scream:
Seriously, I am really impressed by this piece, and can't wait to see how far you take it...SO KEEP GOING..:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

anandpg
09-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey Magdalena!!.... Awesome!!.. I think this one is gonna be your best till date!:bounce:... Keep rocking!!!:scream:

Intervain
09-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Hey Magdalena!!.... Awesome!!.. I think this one is gonna be your best till date!:bounce:... Keep rocking!!!:scream:

no pun intended heh?! LOL that made me laugh so much - thanks Anand!

Serena - thank you :) You're too kind

Lemog - and so are you sir :) Thanks a lot!

Glenn - thank you so much for dropping by and kind words!

jtico - OMG thanks soooo much for taking the time to look through that thread - especially that it's rather terryfying at times in terms of 2d :scream:... I'm glad you liked it! Cheers!

Intervain
09-03-2007, 02:16 PM
well I added the glasses and the string to the piece of wool... still needs some buttons I forgot about :scream: but otherwise she's ready for sculpting on...

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_11.jpg

Intervain
09-04-2007, 12:00 AM
http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_12.jpg

tiny bit more... sigh the polycounts are killing me ;)

collings
09-04-2007, 12:10 AM
nice update, the head looks really great, very natural with a lot of character.
Hope you will have enought memory to reach the polycount that you will need :arteest:

FateBringer
09-04-2007, 02:37 AM
hi

well... you know...:drool: awesome

Mark

anandpg
09-04-2007, 04:34 AM
no pun intended heh?!

NO..NO..NO...!!! dont get me wrong:scream:.. I meant, everything you did till date has been great.. and this is gonna be even more so!.. pardon my naivety..:blush:

Btw, great update!:thumbsup: Just a thought: the chair could be wider.. i mean, right now, there seems to be just enough space for her, and she doesnt seem so big either.. so it would make sense to have a bit of extra room, right? ....no?

Intervain
09-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Oh Anand - sorry I guess you didn't get me... hhehe = you said keep rockin and she's in a rocking chair that's why I said no pun intended LOL... you're right about that chair I was thiking it was too narrow myself! :thumbsup: Will change that...

collings - hehe so do I! I have to change them specs finally... my computer's an old lady itself! ;)

Mark - thank you!

rasmusW
09-04-2007, 09:31 AM
hey mag!

-glad to see, you'r out of your artistic hypernation (-remember you talking about, that you didn't have any energy, or so...)
the old lady is really coming along nicely. her face looks so good. very calm and kind.

-r

Intervain
09-06-2007, 03:06 AM
rasmusW - thanks :D yeah I'm back on track :thumbsup:

a little update...

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_13.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-06-2007, 10:08 AM
GOOD MORNING ...Magdalena...:)

YOU ROCK..LOL..:scream:
GREAT JOB ON THOSE HANDS, and of course those granny glasses really make it complete...in charater...:applause: :thumbsup:
I had to laugh when I read that you forgot to show or keep the eyes shown,...I think that I made that same error yesterday while making the cane for my old guy...spent all day making it, then when I went to use it and hook it up as a sub tool to the old guy, ..all that I got was a black empty preview box, and an invisable box that has the cane in it, but won't let me use it properly as a sub tool...I'm guessing that I did something like you did with the eyes on yours..forgot something along the way...oh well, ..TODAY IS A NEW DAY...:)
Just wanted to tell you ...GREAT JOB SO FAR...KEEP GOING...:thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

CgIcecube
09-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Magdalena great choice great work!..I like the topic of your workshop too...I really wonder how you manage to take out time after work?!! The detail you are putting in the old lady in every update is increasing our excitement for the final piece:bounce:I wish you texture this too:thumbsup:

Intervain
09-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Glenn - thank you :) I'm glad you like her and hehe funny story! No I just have the eyeballs as subtools and forgot to turn the visibility back on while making a screencapture... was too lazy to redo it because my computer's so darn slow when I'm using big document format... sigh... Next time she will have eyes though :scream:

CGIcecube - Thank you so much! Not enough time I have to say - I can't keep up with some of the folk in the forum hehe - I just get an hour or 2 a day to work on something... I wish I could do more! I'm really glad you like the model and the idea - how about joining us?! :thumbsup:

Womball
09-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Are the glasses supposed to float? Where are the ear pieces. ;-)

Intervain
09-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Are the glasses supposed to float? Where are the ear pieces. ;-)

the ear pieces are going through the hair and coming out where the ear is :P

rdsarna
09-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey Magdalena!
:applause: Commendable work of starting the workshop!
Your work is AWESOME.....the feel of an old lady is 100% there! :thumbsup:
Really looking forward to the finished sculpt.....

Ratul

Intervain
09-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi Ratul - thank you very much :)

here's a quick something I did at work today - had some time on hand and decided to try that plane sculpting idea :) I wanted to stick to 1 hr only buuuuut I got carried away after that - it's really a whole load of fun and soooo useful!

it's not a particualr person I tried to do - just came up with stuff as I went along :scream:

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/plane1_final_small_800.jpg

anandpg
09-08-2007, 03:09 AM
Hey Magdalena! this one is really cool!!:thumbsup: I bet you wanna try a retopo on this!!

collings
09-08-2007, 11:54 AM
héhé awesome plane sculpting magda, i really dig this head :thumbsup:
definitely have to try one of those myself ^^

Intervain
09-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Anand - thanks :) I'm glad you like it - I must admit the retopo idea hasn't even entered my head but now you mention it I might give it a go and finally learn it properly... I only did some small experiments but never actually used it as part of a project. Worth thinking about for sure!

Nicolas - it's so much fun :D Glad you like it - I personally think it's an excellent exercise in sculpting to get a shape like a human head out of a completely flat surface... definitely builds up the skills! Highly recommended :thumbsup:

Samanthie
09-08-2007, 06:49 PM
The old lady 'rocks' beautiful work Magdalena! Amazing as always.:thumbsup:

Frejasphere
09-09-2007, 01:51 AM

I really like that male face :thumbsup: His eyes are so expressive even at this stage! Reminds me a little of a copper sculpting technique where you start with a flat sheet of copper and force it into a mould through banging and working the copper with different sized rounded hammer tools...

and for a little something you just "tried" while "filling in time" :) you go girl!!

take care and cheers

Intervain
09-09-2007, 02:23 AM
Samanthie - thank you very much :D

Frejasphere - thanks a lot! I'm glad you like it - I loved doing it and I think I might repeat the pleasure :scream:

well back to the old lady... I have basically redone the face wrinkles after some constructive criticism... sigh, anyway I won't do it again LOL ... also started refining one of the hands - still more to go obviously...

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_15_1.jpg

Intervain
09-09-2007, 04:22 PM
a tiny bit more...

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_16.jpg

Piek
09-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Inty, how on earth did you remember that specific quote from The Tempest? Amazing. You get two and a half zillion bonus points for that!

Whistler's Mother is coming along in fine style, the hands in particular. I like the way you can make out the metacarpals and the veins that dip between them. The problem I find with crit-ing ZBrush stuff is that only the modeler really knows where they are going to end up after the long slog. Viewers, on the other hand, are only ever seeing the pit stops. So in regard to sharp vs. subtle wrinkles: do what you feel looks right. Knit one, pearl one!

CyborgJA
09-12-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm starting to love this old woman. :drool:

minminxu
09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
wow....I love those 3D's pictures.....they are so great..:scream: ...nice works.....Miss.Magdalena Dadela .....keep it up......:bounce: :bounce:

piccolabella
09-14-2007, 03:08 PM
your sculpts are amazing! i just started to learn digital sculpting in class and your work is extremely inspiring.

Intervain
09-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Piek - haha! I've studied Shakespeare for soooo many years that some things just stuck in me wittle head [mind you I obviuosly had to look it up for exact wording, it's not THAT bad yet LOL]

Serena - I really appreciate all the time you take to comment! THANKS so much! I'm glad you like her!

minminxu - thanks very much :D

piccolabella - aww thank you! Honoured! I hope to see some of your 3d sculpting soon then :)

Womball
09-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Whoa the plane sculpt is amazing! I didn't know you could get that much detail out of a plain. No topology updates?

The glasses are still floating, I'd suggest making the hair directly behind it puff a little.

Intervain
09-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Thnx Nathan - yeah I was surprised myself that with subd 6 the plane was that thick in geometry! this one ended up with subd 7 but only for tiny details and I think 6 would suffice... no topology for now... I have the ztool at work and don't have any extra time at the mo - lots to do since I was the only character artist not on holiday this past week LOL

I will correct the glasses then... you're right!

Intervain
09-15-2007, 11:12 PM
blah had to unwrap the old lady's head which I didn't do prior to sculpting so it was way more painful and time consuming... I toned everything down because I didn't like the way it looked with the texture on... it's just a base colour now - still the proper texturing needs to be done later buuut I was curious if I remember any of it LOL [I haven't textured in a century!] Anyway here it is... a tiny update!

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_17.jpg

piccolabella
09-16-2007, 12:12 AM
i like the initial pass with the texturing. i think that the specular is a bit too bright but the coloring is a good start.

Intervain
09-16-2007, 12:13 AM
thanks :) there's no specular map - just a base colour...the spec's from a shader within zbrush :)

Rangerman
09-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Your skills with Zbrush are blowing my mind. Quite impressive. Old people must be tough to do with all those wrinkles. Keep up the good work

Intervain
09-17-2007, 11:15 PM
thank you Tim :)

MistressPaco
09-18-2007, 12:06 AM
I know very little about 3d but what I see I'm impressed with =P

abbeytermeer
09-18-2007, 01:42 AM
shes looking wonderful!! even with just the base colors it looks spectacular :D good luck with the texturing, im sure itll come right back to you once you get started on it. im so looking forward to seeing her textured!

collings
09-18-2007, 11:12 PM
i definitely prefer the wrinckles like that. nice start on the texturing too :thumbsup:

NR43
09-19-2007, 04:53 AM
wow
lots has happened here Magdalena :)

looking forward to see that old lady fully textured (putting just a lil it of pressure on the kettle :p )... it's being able to paint textures what made me start drawing and painting in the first place, so following this with great interest...

CyborgJA
09-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Dear Magdalena, my time is a little thing if compared to the beauty of your models and their inspirational-power.

It's a real pleasure to look at your work and post here. :thumbsup:

plunq
09-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Really nice start to the texturing. Are you going to render from Zbrush with matcap materials or go all out in xsi with displacements, SSS and some fancy GI/FG lighting?

Out of curiousity, have you seen or tried BenR's Binder (http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=29;action=display;threadid=31878)plugin for XSI? I have yet to make the switch over to the Softimage side, but after seeing this plugin, it's one more reason why I really want to give it a try :)

Can't wait to see the final.

Spin99
09-19-2007, 05:30 PM
I think she looks much better with the softer wrinkles thing.
Totally. How's this new ZB thing when they putting the demo out.
Nice work as always Intervain :P

Intervain
09-22-2007, 03:38 PM
MistressPaco - thank you :)

Auria - thanks very much :D

Johan - hehe lots? not too sure about that - my computer's been so slow with her it's sad!

CyborgJA - thank you so much! :love:

plunq - I want to stick to Zbrush entirely :) We'll see how it goes.
I have seen that plugin some time ago but haven't yet tried it myself. It does look awesome, doesn't it?!

Spin99 - thanks - glad you like! I think just for a modeling demo reel zbrush's quite enough - the turntable movie option's simply wicked [takes a minute to get a great mov. file out - I'm loving it!] gosh I've become quite a zbrush whore lately LOL

Thanks all - hopefully will be able to update soon! I've been busy figuring out Slideshow Pro for my website - sigh finally got it installed, just some HTML fidgeting left to do... I've also been lucky enough to be one of the chosen ones from my studio to get a free ticket to ADAPT this upcoming week so YAY to that! A whole week of very interesting presentations is ahead :D Really looking forward to that!

Intervain
09-22-2007, 08:04 PM
ok a tiny update - polypainting mostly thought I did tweak the geometry a bit as well... sheesh I know I'm slow but had other pressing matters to attend to :scream:

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_18.jpg

Spin99
09-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Magdy looks wonderful here ;)
Maybe her skin is just a little shiny at this stage?

You'll have to put me down for ZB3 next year sometime.
Pity you don't come with? lolz
I'll try getting around to doing some serious sculpting then..

piccolabella
09-24-2007, 03:59 AM
i love the little bit of pores you can see at the end of her nose. i didn't notice it in the farther shots.

razz
09-24-2007, 05:09 PM
You're texturing her! Fokin' amazing! Looking really good, I don't even have to tell you that. i just wonder how awesome it will look when finished. Update update!
Yeah, yeah, I have no crits. Maybe just open her eyelids a little bit more, because if we'll see her from further away it might seem she's working with her eyes closed. I might be wrong though.

AztcFireFlower
09-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Beautiful sensitive work.
Can't wait to have the time to take a bite out of ZBrush. Your work is heavily inspirational.

Intervain
09-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Spin99 -LOL thanks - you're right she's way too shiny but that's a non-tweaked shader, which I have tried tweaking but haven't found a good outcome yet so I'm sticking to that for now...

piccolabella - thanks :) still need to add more little stuff on her face... too flat by far

razz - hehe! yeah I think I will lift those lids a bit, I agree they look too sleepy...

AztcFireFlower - thank you :blush: glad you like it :D

well I only made a cavity map today and added that to the texture - tweaked some stuff with materials and did pretty much nothing :scream::surprised... I'm waiting for my quad core new baby to arrive any day now so you know... the p4 thingy can go to hell :arteest:

anyway a tiny bit of something - desaturated to see how much detail I'm still lacking - a good way of checking that out, I find... just like the values thingy in 2d...

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_19_2.jpg

rasmusW
09-25-2007, 07:06 AM
hey magdalena!

absolutely amazing work. really like your texture progress so far.

-r

CyborgJA
09-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Simply incredible.

Cyanid
09-25-2007, 05:58 PM
great modelling/sculpting. Despite the fact that I'm not a 3dartist, I do really enjoy this sketchbook.

Intervain
09-26-2007, 01:05 AM
rasmusW - thank you :)

Serena - thanks :D

Cyanid - thanks :)

well not much time today - spent the entire day at Adapt - some cool stuff to listen to. really nice presentations from Double Negative as well as Pixar [among others]...

I'm back on geometry - made quite a bit of changes in the volumes + small changes to the head and hands, completely new showl geometry because the other one was just yucky to work with and finally did the knitting on the little piece she's making - still the one on the showl remains to be tackeld ... I'm so slow with this model I must get on to something new to have a breather I think :rolleyes:

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_20.jpg

vaaken
09-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Impressive work you got there. Really inspiring. A reminder for me to get back on modeling again. You inspire me! Keep up. So what is she knitting? She's probably got a cunning plan. Are you gonna reveal the end result of grandma's intensive labour? =P

agou
09-27-2007, 12:19 PM
I love your work. Your granny seems so quiet and so lively. I began to learn Zbrush and your work is very inspiring - I'm eager now to go back home and to put my computer on.
:bounce:

Intervain
10-04-2007, 09:59 PM
thank you so much!

a little something I've been doing these past few days [1 day of sculpting so far... couple of days of modeling that darn jacket :P] during my spare time... not finished yet! the face is completely made up, clothes after the bust of Fulton by Houdon :)...

http://mdadela.com/gallery/bust_wip_1.jpg

jtico
10-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Another lovely piece from you Magdalena :bowdown:. Its always a pleasure to see the work you are doing. Best regards

Intervain
10-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Thank you so much jtico - glad you like it :)

ok some pimping now - here is a thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4691217#post4691217) where you can all contribute ideas to future 3d sculpting workshops if you want these to continue :)

anandpg
10-04-2007, 11:40 PM
OMG! OMG!... .:drool:... :cry:......:banghead:...... *running off to sculpt something*... !!!

CyborgJA
10-05-2007, 08:14 AM
My god, it's perfect. :eek:

Intervain
10-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Anand LOL - I don't think you have to feel guilty! I'm like that every time I visit your thread LOL

Serena - haha made me laugh! oh he's far from that.. I'm really glad you like him though :D

abbeytermeer
10-06-2007, 01:58 AM
wow he looks awesome!! i love the look on his face. clothes look amazing as well. i particularly like the structure in the face. he looks really good you did a great job :)

Intervain
10-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks very much Auria :) Glad you like him!

well got back to the old lady a bit - still so much to go I want to cry :scream: - oh well... slowly

a few shots of where I'm at at the moment:

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_22.jpg

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_23.jpg

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_24.jpg

SpiritDreamer
10-06-2007, 07:03 PM
HEY ...Magdalena ...:thumbsup:

I think she is totally worth every bit of energy,thought, and effort that you have invested, and will invest into her creation....Really coming out GREAT...:applause: :thumbsup:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

piccolabella
10-07-2007, 04:25 AM
the granny just keeps on getting better, every time i see it i find a new part that i like even more. i love the detail you put into her shawl.

vaaken
10-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Your taking your time with this one, eh? It pays off. =) Old masters could spend years on their art, so why shouldn't we? Good progress on grandma. So what plans do you have in the shading department?

Intervain
10-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Thank you Glenn!

piccolabella - thanks :) glad you like the showl - it's a bitch to do ... still not finished but getting there! I want it to look like it's been knitted or crocheted :)

vaaken - yeah I'm taking time LOL... I guess we all have some models which just won't give us peace until they're totally perfect - or as perfect as we can make them. looks like she's the one for me hehe... as for the shading, I'm leaving it on the side for now, there's still some stuff I want to add to the model first... But I'd like to make her into a Norman Rockwell type of illustration in colouring and style. [fingers crossed I don't loose my patience :scream:]

Intervain
10-07-2007, 07:16 PM
a bit more work on the showl [still not finished, blah] and the cameo brooch + some tiny things you won't even notice LOL

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/wip_25_s2.jpg

CyborgJA
10-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Oh my - I "feel" the wool-work she is doing and the differences in the "material" between
blouse and the "triangle that I'm unable to define in english" that she gots on her shoulders.

:drool:

anandpg
10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
:drool:.... beautiful...!! wonderful detailing!! You are talking about the lace-work on the blouse, right, Serena?... Its awesome!!:bounce:

CyborgJA
10-08-2007, 11:12 AM
You are talking about the lace-work on the blouse, right, Serena?... Its awesome!!:bounce:

Exactly, here is called "mantellina" that should be "cloak" or "cape" but I'm not sure about these words.

I love it, it gots a "pattern" like real onessss :drool:

Intervain
10-11-2007, 12:11 PM
thanks guys!

darn, I worked on the guy bust yesterday - almost finished it.... was so excited and it crashed on me aaaaand.... the ztool is corrupt and won't open! So darn, no bust... :( I'm angry and thinking of what I want to make now :) glad you like her! I'm texturing now - hope to post soon! :)

CyborgJA
10-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Dear, let me know if you need a good recovery tool.

piccolabella
10-11-2007, 08:47 PM
i can't wait to see the texturing!!

Piek
10-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Hello *wave*, welcome to 'Club There Goes My Z-tool'. I've never used an emoticon graphic before, but this feels like the appropriate time for a debut...:sad:

vaaken
10-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Oh no! If this was back in the days, your 'guy bust' would be lying shattered on the floor.. At least you could glue things together back then. Have you tried glue on corrupted data? Might work? But seriously sad news this.. My thoughts goes to you and your family...

BTW, bold choice on 'grandma shading.' Looking forward to see how it works out.

Hang in there! =)

jtico
10-14-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm worried about the guy bust :argh: . Could you restore the file? (I cross my fingers)

Intervain
10-14-2007, 10:03 PM
hehe thanks guys! well I do not think it can be recovered so oh well time moves on... so I saved my grandma in many files over time and the latest version in 2 separate ones just to be sure it's fine - well I cannot open either and zbrush crushes every time I attempt it... I will try again with more RAM and let's hope it works otherwise I will either have to go to a version before which would suck because I really do not feel like working on the stuff I've already done all over again [not that much but still quite annoying little details] or I'll just drop the whole thing LOL... I guess the ztool was just too big... Oh well... now I'll be saving 10 copies of the same one:scream: ... oh I guess I'll go with scenario 1 but not in the nearest week... I need a break from her... + I do not think I'll be going through with the texturing because of other darn problems with the hands [I cannot update the uvs - the mesh goes crazy, starts subdividing automatically and crashes zbrush - really mysterious - good to be learning all this on personal projects :scream:]

so yeah I'm having a great zbrush week LOL Hurra! still it is a lesson of sorts :rolleyes::p

Frejasphere
10-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Ouch!
Not fair when tools come crashing down on artist's head!
Browsing through your latest updates of old lady and the male bust... to hear about his
unfortunate disappearance :( Hope all else will be restored ok and that wherever the handsome fellow went - that he's got the sense to be living the high life (and letting all know it's thanks to you he's got off to such a good start :) )

Take care and good luck :)

Icey
10-16-2007, 08:50 PM
wow... you are really pushing the old lady on to the next level!! It looks great!!! Can't wate 'til you finish it! It'll have a special place in my computer! :D:D:D

Cheers!
Icey

Intervain
10-17-2007, 12:58 AM
well folks I think I've had right about enough! I call her done... no more... can't look at her LOL

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/old_w_1.jpg

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/old_w_2.jpg

http://mdadela.com/gallery/Sculpting_age_workshop/old_w_3.jpg

NR43
10-17-2007, 06:14 AM
I think she's gonna get up to get a sip of water any second now... or maybe the phone will be ringing... hm... maybe in that case she wouldn't get up and just let it ring hehe

beautiful piece of art Magda!
twas fun to see this progressing

collings
10-17-2007, 08:51 AM
hi magda, congratz , the final piece looks brilliant :thumbsup:
Grandma seams to be really in peace and focus on what she's doing ^^. Love it !

anandpg
10-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Congrats on finishing this piece, Magda!!:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:!!.... I was hoping you would texture it, though.

Intervain
10-17-2007, 12:17 PM
thanks guys!

Anand - so was I and I got quite a bit into it but I cannot update uvs on the hands - the mesh goes absolutely nuts - either by automatically subdividing itself as soon as I hit 'import' and then causes zbrush to crush [I swear it's more than weird] or when I simply try to use a high res version and reimport it without changing the uvs it gets flipped inside out 0_o and won't reconstruct subdivisions... I am not getting it at all but well there it is... I've had so many problems with that model that I'm completely sick of it hehe but I've learned my share too, so no point complaining...

I have a new model in mind with texturing - I mean I am planning that from the start :) With her I ment to do the head only and somehow it got out of hand! Glad you like it all the same ;)

anandpg
10-17-2007, 03:58 PM
I would verymuch like to have a look at that hand ztool, if you dont mind emailing it to me.:)

SpiritDreamer
10-18-2007, 02:08 PM
HEY ...Magdalena ..:bounce: :) .....GREAT/FANTASTIC JOB..:thumbsup:

I am still trying to figure out how you created and put together that rocking chair...:scream:
ANYWAY...KEEP INSPIRED, AND KEEP INSPIRING....:thumbsup:
Can't wait to see your next CREATION..:)
TAKE CARE
Glenn

CyborgJA
10-19-2007, 07:00 PM
It's incredible as it is too..."incredible" does not render the idea, I think. :thumbsup:

I love the violet light you used in the rendering, good choice!

So...how about the new model? :wise:

Intervain
10-28-2007, 11:55 PM
thank you everyone!

Anand - nah... I'm not touching her any more - not in a million years anyway ;)

Glenn - thank you so much! the chair's very simple actually - I was surprised myself hehe [not in zbrush though!]

Serena - thank you and on to the next model as required ;)

well I've been doing several things this past week... a project that I've started and which will continue for some time, so more on that later ;)

in the mean time here's a little funny dude I've started - a day and half of sculpting so not much done yet:

http://mdadela.com/gallery/funny_dude_wip.jpg

and here's some fangirling on my side ;) - fanart OMG - Paul McGann's portrait! I've been in love with Paul since I was 10 :scream: and after having met him, the feeling only grew stronger :love::thumbsup: still a wip!

http://mdadela.com/gallery/wip2.jpg

Piek
10-29-2007, 10:44 AM
This has to be the first CG version of 'I' :o)

Intervain
10-29-2007, 12:12 PM
hehe :) I was thinking of doing him in the leather coat and with those glasses buuuut his hair back then would have been a nightmare ;)... yay Gosh I love this movie - especially the chicken ;)

CyborgJA
10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
O_O

My godness, I love the way you modeled the neck of the first model!

O_O

BLack902
10-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Yeah, that's right ! His neck is looking completely natural :) ! You are doing so inspiring sculpts Magda. I'm really impressed. Great work :) !

Keep coming ! :)

Best regards.

Frejasphere
11-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Wow! Great face to work from (Dr too ;) ) and can't wait to see where you take him :)

cheers!

grassetti
11-01-2007, 02:16 PM
hey mag!
u got some really nice models!

im watching!

take care..
c ya!

vaaken
11-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Your new dudes lookin' good. :) Nice to see you 'breaking some rules' with that funny looking guy. A reminder that people come in different shapes and sizes. So is he gonna be funny looking AND naked?

Keep up!

Intervain
11-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Serena - thank you very much :)

LooneY - thanks :D Glad you like it!

Frejasphere - Thank you! Yes and cannon officially now ;) Go nr 8!

grassetti - thank you for the kind words!

vaaken - hehehe yeah well he's almost naked...

I did not have much time to work on anything this week... I was quite stressed out as at work I was doing character concept art instead of my regular modeling and you all know my drawing skills LOL... but they seemed to like it a lot so 'phew'

anyway here's the dude sketch - I'm done with it... I made him out of a mesh used only for busts so he's got no hands or the rest of the body to work on hehe... shame because I had some ideas once I started sculpting.... maybe next time! :) he was a good exercise nonetheless...

http://mdadela.com/ssp_director/albums/album-3/hr/funny_guy_smaller.jpg

kary
11-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I was always impressed at how prolific you are when passing through your thread a few times a week. Then insert an abscene of a few months it's truly an amazing amount of content. Great work in general, the old woman is wonderfully crafted, the busts are remarkable... and on and on :)

Congrats on taking advantage of the opportunity to delve into professional concept art. You've got the mind for it, and far more functional drawing skills than you give yourself credit for.

The dude sketch is very cool. It's a little odd to see a very smooth forehead and skull after all the nibbly details, but it puts me in mind of an egg for some reason and that fits rather well with the beak on 'im ;).

I could definitely see where that character would be more expressive with a full body -- a large pair of hands would likely fit in well. It left me wondering if you've had any usable results with the Zproject feature? In the demo material it looks remarkably easy and 'magic bullet'-esque, which might not be the reality :). If it did let you grab the detail from the present sculpt and vacuum wrap it onto full character base it could be handy for you... as you seem to be able to do an amazing head sculpt in roughly the time it takes me to have a cup of tea :D

CyborgJA
11-11-2007, 08:19 AM
The fore area starting from his eyebrows down to the collarbones is OUTSTANDING.

I think I've no more words to add.

(...... just foaming here and there..... :drool: )

Smus
11-11-2007, 09:41 PM
That old guy is great :)
It's just sad that, you won't model the rest of his body. I believe it would have looked great :) Anyway his neck is just beautiful!

Intervain
11-14-2007, 10:42 PM
oops double trouble...

Intervain
11-14-2007, 10:49 PM
kary! Wow thanks so much - too kind! And yes I agree... hmmm... actually I have been thinking about what you suggested. I could never get that tool to work properly but maybe it's time to try again or just do some retopologising :) I would love to carry on I think... he's fun! We'll see...

Serena - Oh you rule lady! You sure know how to pet my ego LOL

Smus - thanks! Glad you like it!

a friend of mine has just sent me this (http://www.xsiarabia.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1350#post1350)link to an arabic XSI forum with an article on our cinematic studio so I thought I'd do some pimping... and there's me, looking silly, with my Altair model [which I posted in my portfolio today btw hehe - good timing] on the screen and my fav Bowie-Jareth figurine on the desk hehe... ;)

Skt
11-16-2007, 01:35 PM
HI Magdalena ! very cool the pics of your cinematic deparment :) I noticed you like flashy pink color :P anyway great stuffs !!(as always) :)

Cheers

Intervain
11-16-2007, 06:05 PM
hmmm I was sure I made a reply post and nothing :/

yesss... I do like pink but on accessories only ;D like flashy mugs and ipods LOL

rasmusW
11-19-2007, 07:50 AM
-man it's been awhile since i last checked all those fantastic sb threads.
you have really done some quality work lately, magdalena (-well you have done that for a long time, but..-you know:)).
looking forward to your next piece.

-r

razz
11-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Hey, Magdalena. Neat stuff! That's a clean workplace. Ohh, and you're working on Altair. Did you do all the work on him? Modeling, uv mapping, texturing, etc. Tell me, is Pascal Blanche working somewhere near? :) Mmm, Ubisoft...
Looks like a nice new workshop you've started! I might just join in to practise my sculpting.

Intervain
11-19-2007, 09:43 PM
rasmusW - thanks :)

razz - no I only worked on modeling, uvs and displacement+normal mapping... I rarely get a chance to work on textures unfortunately, since we have a separate team for that :(

no Pascal works in the gaming part of Ubisoft - I believe a few floors down at the mo :)

and yeah damn - join in :D

Gord-MacDonald
11-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Your work is very special!:bowdown:

Gord

Womball
11-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Ooh. I didn't know you worked on Assasin Creed. There was some controversy over the artbook that was going to be released as a bonus if you bought it from gamestop. Did you model Alatair?

Intervain
11-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks Gord :)

Womball - I did not work on the game but the trailers aaaaand some other stuff not known outside Ubi ;) - so I modelled the high res/cinematic version of Altair...

Womball
11-20-2007, 08:43 PM
So your modelling naked people for profit now? I have been lately considering working in the gaming industry, might keep me out of California (it will form its own nation in 2 years).

Intervain
11-20-2007, 09:00 PM
what you mean now? I've been working in the gaming industry for some time... :)
you wouldn't like film?... hmmm... it's a less stable employement for sure but I bet it's exciting!

Womball
11-21-2007, 05:18 PM
I dunno if I would like film or not. I probably would, but I'm not a fan of hollywood. I was also hoping to live in a suburbs if possible (cleaner air than a city). Btw do you know Jade Raymond? I think she works at Ubisoft, really pretty.

jigokuen
11-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Wow, some amazing work here. I have very little experience with the 3d side of digital art, but just from a viewer's standpoint I'm blown away. awesome stuff, and I bet even if I did know the technial side of all this, I'd be even more impressed.

Intervain
11-24-2007, 04:18 AM
womball - she's not my type :P I've seen her around many times but never talked to her personally...I have to say I only recognized her because of the voice LOL... it's a biiiiig studio anyway :)

jigokuen - thank you :)

well here's a start of the sculpting workshop piece for me... just did the base mesh these past 2 days after changing my mind completely about what I wanted to do...

I'm a huge Richard Macdonald fan - I mean his work's amazing :eek::love:so here's the start of my little tribute with a copy of Blind Faith (http://www.clarkfineart.com/search/search.php?action=4&pid=2816)... Alas I can only find this one sideview so I'll be guessing a lot :P

http://mdadela.com/gallery/MOTION_WIP/motion_wip_1.jpg

anandpg
11-24-2007, 05:32 AM
Hey Magda!!... great choice for the workshop!! :bounce::bounce:

razz
11-24-2007, 09:00 AM
I'll second Anand! Great choice! And yeaah, Richard Mcdonald is an amazing sculptor, I've seen his work earlier. So, seing the original and knowing freakin' awesome you can sculpt, I believe I can say that this will be one amazing piece of work when it's done!

Looking forward to the updates with my eyes wide open.

Intervain
11-24-2007, 09:54 PM
thank you guys!

didn't do much today - just trying to get the shapes...

http://mdadela.com/gallery/MOTION_WIP/motion_wip_2.jpg

jtico
11-24-2007, 10:30 PM
As usual, amazing work :) . It's a start, and yet it looks fantastic. As Glenn says, take care, and hava a good time. Cheers.

Intervain
11-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Thank you Alberto :)

a very tiny bit more... I'm a lazy git ;)

http://mdadela.com/gallery/MOTION_WIP/motion_wip_3.jpg

CyborgJA
11-25-2007, 07:19 PM
.... "just trying to get the shapes" ....

Better that I do not write what I'm thinking right now, cause for a horse hoof I spent a whole night while you are able to reach this level in so few hours.

When someone is a maestro, s/he is a maestro, there's nothing else to do. :bowdown:

NR43
11-25-2007, 08:03 PM
painful pose :D

How's it going Magdalena?
Seems like you started another great workshop :)

Womball
11-26-2007, 02:14 PM
womball - she's not my type :P I've seen her around many times but never talked to her personally...I have to say I only recognized her because of the voice LOL... it's a biiiiig studio anyway :)

Well I wasn't saying you had to marry her, date her or give her blood (if she is a vampire).

Intervain
11-26-2007, 02:44 PM
well maybe not... I'm just sick of that question - I had like a million people ask me that - I mean what's the point? no offence but it's not relevant in any way to what I do IMO

Womball
11-26-2007, 02:59 PM
YOu know a million people?!?

Btw I like this new piece, although the postion reminds me of the weird character from Soul Caliber. I really like the pose, has a lot of life to it.

razz
11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Hey Magdalena, maybe you're going to make more than one piece for the workshop? Going at this speed...It looked great as a basemesh with this awesome pose and not it's just getting better with all the details appearing.
Lazy git...yeah, right :)

Womball, stop annoying the girl.

Lemog
11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Again, nothing to crit for me... just a bit curious to watch another POV... but comparing with the original masterpiece, that seem a similar level, it remain wait the next addition... exact copy or you planed anyway at final to give your own feeling to this realization ?

I always speechless front of your art's world :thumbsup: even during workshop !

Intervain
11-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Hey Magdalena, maybe you're going to make more than one piece for the workshop? Going at this speed...It looked great as a basemesh with this awesome pose and not it's just getting better with all the details appearing.
Lazy git...yeah, right :)

Womball, stop annoying the girl.

razz funny you should say that - I was actually thinking that this piece despite the complex pose is in all not that complex so I have considered doing 2... I've been also working on the texture for this one a bit already - I want to give it the exact look Macdonald did... we'll see how it turns out :D... but yeah I'm tempted to do another one :)

Lemog - ah bless! Thank you so much! I was thinking about an exact copy at first but it really doesn't have that much detail in it so I might give the muscles a bit more definition than the artist did... time will tell :D

Intervain
11-28-2007, 01:20 AM
aaaand a wee bit more... sheesh he looks simple but he ain't LOL Cheers!

http://mdadela.com/gallery/MOTION_WIP/motion_wip_5.jpg

blah - just noticed that the foot he's standing on is twisted :eek:... it's never easy :)

Lemog
11-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Simple ? not at all !
I'm waiting your interpretation...

AztcFireFlower
11-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Am fascinated by you 3D geniuses.:thumbsup:

plunq
11-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Hey Magdalena, I just wanted to congradulate you on a job well done with Altair, it's great to finally see some of your professional work too. Assassin's Creed is definetly on my christmas wishlist ;)

The Richard Macdonald tribute is coming along very well, I'm with Lemog, I hope you make an exact copy or really go all out and push this sculpt in your own way! Makes me want to jump back into zbrushing all day long now :)

Intervain
12-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Thanks Laurent :)

AztcFireFlower - thank you :) not a genious me though! :)

Joel - thank you so much! really appreciate it :) Will try to do my best :)

I have to say I saw Beowulf today at IMAX 3d and loved it [except for the horses but not a film is perfect!]! Truly impressive cinema IMO... having studied Old English Literature and language once I was totally extatic about hearing Grendel and his mother talk in that tongue hehe.. so geeky!:rolleyes: As for 3d - some things were simply amazing... but no spoilers :)

anyway a tiny update:

http://mdadela.com/gallery/MOTION_WIP/motion_wip_6.jpg

Intervain
12-02-2007, 10:33 PM
and a bit more...

http://mdadela.com/gallery/MOTION_WIP/motion_wip_7.jpg

samarcbz
12-03-2007, 02:39 PM
wow ! awesome work.
really cool stuff. liked the balance a lot.just the right knee seems a bit diff. or may be its just me .neways that some trippin work u got there.:buttrock:

Cyanid
12-03-2007, 03:30 PM
awesome...I have no crits at all. Just waiting for more candy.

Intervain
12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
samaracbz - thanks! different in what way? diff from the original or different from the other one? - c'mon spill it hehe - I want to improve it so any crit will do! cheers!

cyanid - thanks very much - glad you like!

vaaken
12-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Finding something to crit about is really hard :D Can you put in some obvious mistakes so we can cry out about it? My only crit is that I find it hard seeing those small update bits you do. What about an arrow pointing at the new area you've worked on? Or close up? Or maybe you could timelapse it! :applause: Other than that it's looking superb. I'm sooo looking forward to the end result :drool:

Rock on!

Intervain
12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
hehehe vaaken - thanks! well I very often run over the whole thing again and again and work a lot on the same stuff until I like the shape of it... I realise it's hard to see any changes sometimes... I'll post more shots next time :)