PDA

View Full Version : Lamp animation exercise

airdogg01
07-11-2006, 06:53 AM
Hey guys, here's a quick animation test I'm working on, trying to give life and a little personality to this lamp, while also getting the timing and weight and such looking right. Any critiques are welcome. Thanks!

http://www.aaronmcgriff.com/pixo_jr_test_blast.avi

mistasam02
07-11-2006, 07:59 AM
hmm.. looks like a good start. i see what you're doin but the timing and motion needs some work. the first head movement only goes up and down, which kinda stuck out to me. also make sure your animation arcs are fluid. luxo (hehe.. copyright?) is very easy to animate if you add insane amounts of anticipation and followthrough. oh, and the jumps seem a little slow. take a look at the actual pixar short, and you'll see some of luxo jr's jumps are less than 6 frames each!

another thing to think about (i know, im talkin a lot).. is about the lamp's goal in this animation. sure it's a test, but why is he jumping? what does he want to do with the box? or is he just curious? much could be done with it cuz hes a cute character, but definitely over-exaggerate him more. good first pass! lookin forward to more lamp jumping! lol :thumbsup:

airdogg01
07-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks Sam, I'll try to bild in a little back story/ subtext so he has more of a reason/goal for jumping, and also try to exagerrate it more, and fix the air time on the jumps. I actually got this rig here on cg talk, and he's names pixo jr. Mre of an homage/good animation practice than a copyright infringement I'd say, haha. I'll post some updates soo. Thanks again.
-Aaron

Amrit-Derhgawen
07-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Hello there,

Nice to see that you're usng our Pixo Jr. rig. Good luck and keep practicing.:)

Cheers,
-A

airdogg01
07-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks. Its a great fun little rig. Thank you for sharing it with us!
-Aaron

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2006, 09:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.