PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis : Alex Popescu : The Forbidden City

aksu
07-11-2006, 12:26 AM
FINAL IMAGE :

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6812/atlantiscityfinalcd3.jpg

OK, so this is my first mood setting sketch for the challenge. Trying to get a good underwater feel, to set up the environment. Haven't made up my mind on the way the city will look like yet, but we'll see :)

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3786/atlantis4tf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

miguelslo
07-11-2006, 01:06 AM
that sure is nice! :bounce:

RiKToR
07-11-2006, 03:42 AM
You may want to change that image it looks way to close to this one...

http://www.mattepainting.org/index.php?categoryid=12&p17_sectionid=17&p17_imageid=663

aksu
07-11-2006, 08:05 AM
That is not how the final image will look like... it's just a underwater test. I know that artwork, very nice image, and I have no intention of making something similar.. it wouldn't be fun would it? :D

litansen
07-11-2006, 09:02 AM
wah...
the lighting n the mood is very nice....
gud luck aksu...

RiKToR
07-11-2006, 11:07 AM
At this stage it looks so similar, good luck with it though.

aksu
07-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Ok, so a small update. Working on environment elements.
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1816/atlwip8wv.jpg

Matellis
07-11-2006, 02:37 PM
hey alex, welcome to the challenge! im liking your concept , keep it up!

JJASSO
07-11-2006, 03:54 PM
aksu: I like the idea of those pikes but how are you manage the city ? what will the concept be? I 'm looking forward

aksu
07-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Well, James, I still don't have a very strong city concept in mind, but I do have an idea. So you will probably see some updates tomorrow.

aksu
07-13-2006, 11:58 AM
OK, time for an update... this is only the right part of the image... but this is the style of the environment.

I also started working on the city , but it's in early stages, so I will show an update later tonight or tommorow...

PLease tell me what you think :)
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1699/rightside5kr.jpg

Amartia
07-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Fantastic work :applause:
I like that point of view and the illumination.

good luck!

sandu22
07-13-2006, 02:15 PM
good start alex, keep going..[bafta :) ]

shrinkingviolet
07-13-2006, 03:04 PM
looking good.

imho, tone down the highlights a wee lil bit. looks darn good.

Matellis
07-13-2006, 03:53 PM
hey alex this is turning out great, keep it up!

aksu
07-13-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm glad you gus like where this is going.

Yes, probably the highlights on the stone wall are too intense, i'll see to that ;)

GonzaloGolpe
07-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Very good luck to you man. IŽll watch to your progress:thumbsup:

SamsonsReaper
07-14-2006, 12:48 PM
neat overwiev of the atmosphere, waiting for som more citydesigns :thumbsup:

Reikon
07-14-2006, 03:48 PM
This is turning out great man one of my favorite concepts.

aksu
07-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the replies.

@GonzaloGolpe : Thanks for keeping an eye on this ;)

@SamsonsReaper : I keep promissing the city design, but the truth is thati've
been working more on the terrain. The city will be very terrain dependant so it has to be done first. But I did start working on the city too, so the next update will have the city as the main interest.

@Reikon : Glad you like the project so far. It's starting to take shape and I hope I'll keep you interested :)

Ok.. and now the UPDATES :

This will be the main environment. Of course not 100% done, but you will get the idea of the composition. I've focused on the foregorund as you can see, so I can start working on the city too.

On the 2 front cliffs you will see some main buidings,, temples and such. This part will have larger empty spaces, not very crowded with big and beautiful buidings.

On the other side of the rift I will exapand the main city, over the entire valley. It will be alot more crowded, with smaller houses, the part where the people work and live. But you'll see this in the future updates.

So here it is :

THE MAIN TERRAIN

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1096/atlantiscity33gl.jpg

THE IMPROVED EVIRONMENT - added the elements to give it the Atlantis style. ( or a least my Atlantis style )

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7536/atlantiscity32fy.jpg

Trunks
07-14-2006, 11:20 PM
This is looking very nice! I can't explain how much I want to see this develop! I am looking forward to your next update and the first buildings :)

JJASSO
07-16-2006, 05:52 PM
it is looking really good, I like the idea, but what kind of structure will be your focal point? so far I don't see a center of interest try working on that , judges surely will take a look on that

Inlakechh
07-16-2006, 07:22 PM
theres a very nice depth in this one, but the green parts look like "above water" to me.

mauropatrizi
07-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi! Great compositing!
I like your work!! KEEP IT UP!!!

aksu
07-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Hello everyone!

I've been on a small vacation so I couldn't reply. So, lets' do that :D

@Trunks : Glad you like this and i hope you'll be pleased with the updates too :)

@jamesvfx : Yeah james, I am perfectly aware I have no center fo interest yet. Working on that but it's not ready for the forums :) But I do have some interesting updates. this time parts of the city . Waiting to see what you think.

@Inlakechh : Yes i know, but I am concentrating on the composition right now. I'm leaving the underwater feel for the last touches.

@mauropat : Thanks I will try to " keep it up !" ;)

aksu
07-24-2006, 04:32 PM
OK, now let's get to tha interesting part,

THE IMAGE UPDTES :

These are some wips of the city. Older and newer and on diffrent sizes. Nothing is final and everything is subject to change :)

Please tell me what you think.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/21/prev1tn2.jpg

aksu
07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
And some panoramas.

I know there's some "dirt" here and there but these are wips .

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9964/prev2ue3.jpg

R-K
07-24-2006, 05:19 PM
wow, the lights in distance looks very good

litansen
07-24-2006, 05:36 PM
wow.. i think its very nice but i still cant feel it at underwater..

but is very nice ... keep it up!!!

JJASSO
07-24-2006, 05:38 PM
man the architecture is amazing, even tough I think the grass on the top of the mountains make it look like a landscape inestead of a underwater scene Im not sure if grass would grow in the top of rock in an underwater scenario other than that this is a great entry ,congratulations

aksu
07-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Ok, I can see there is a problem with the underwater feel , I will start looking for solutions.

Glad you guys like the structures and the style.

Moysh
07-25-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm literally stunned by your last WIP update, the structure looks spectacular, that and the city lights... they are all very well-done!

As for above ground feel, I think that toning down the color of the sea much darker at the upper portion of the painting would help. (or perhaps very dark blue but with some faint hints of light from the surface for i do believe most of the light sources are coming out from the structure themselves, eh)

Velarion
07-25-2006, 05:49 PM
it looks amazing! Loved the both ancient and scifi atmosphere you've created. Agreed with the comments above.I think if you darker the upper levels and a bit playing with color tones it would be a great underwater scene:thumbsup:

Matellis
07-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey alex this is looking great! I would say that maybe you should have some of the bigger architecture not all pointing towards the camera , because right they have the copy and paste look , maybe go in and make each one its own :)

Looking amazing so far , really cant wait to see the final :D

Cheers

DeepCruiser
07-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Wow its looking cool with the structures in. :thumbsup:

GonzaloGolpe
07-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Lookin great. Agree with the underwater feeling, you should work this area. IŽm sure youŽll do:thumbsup:

aksu
07-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys for the replies and all the suggstions. I good to hear what you think.

I have a very interesting update for later tonight ;)

aksu
07-28-2006, 08:37 PM
OK, here it is.

I'm not happy with the city, but the main focus right now was changing the background. The city will be improved in the next stage.

Really curious to hear what you think.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1236/atlantiscitywipks7.jpg

GonzaloGolpe
07-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Woohoo really awesome. A great piece. The only thing: the background seems to be underwater, the foreground not. But youŽre working on it, but youŽre getting a great work. Go for it!:applause:

MPavel
07-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Where is my jaw? Absolutly incredible!

L-iNC
07-28-2006, 09:10 PM
That's looking really good... maybe a little more haze on the foreground, especially around the bright lights, could benefit the overall underwater feeling.

sandu22
07-28-2006, 10:26 PM
he hey.. very good job alex:thumbsup: ..take care with the water look in front.:buttrock:

vshen
07-28-2006, 11:29 PM
wow!!! massive improvement and when you work on the foreground underwater feel, they will come together very well.

Excellent!!!

Inlakechh
07-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Fantastic depth Alex ... but whats more important: the background or the city ? In my opinion, the background is taking too much space ... all the life is on the lower half ... It doesnt feel balanced to me. You're almost there ...

rawwad
07-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Awesome working on this one! Love it, very monumental :thumbsup:

aksu
07-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Thank you all for the very interesting replies and all the advices. I see the cave idea works fine.

Stay tuned for updates ;)

everlite
07-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Holy crap, that's breath taking. It constantly amazes me how people can come up with such unique and original ideas.

My only comment is that the background structures seem a little too small in relation to the forground buildings the whole scene doesn't appear to be underwater, though i'm not sure it has to be, it could be in a cave that's underwater, like a giant air pocket. You could stick a few fish here and there to give the watery impression perhaps?

Still looks very amazing :-)

Is that a shopping mall to the centre right?

- Dave.

cLos71
07-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Stunning! :eek:

Velarion
07-30-2006, 09:17 PM
don't know what to say,it looks amazing:thumbsup:

aksu
07-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Well, Dave, I don't think the far city is the problem , the closer, front city, is. To give it a bigger scale i'm gonna leave the background buildings very small, but I will work on the transition between the foreground and the background more. You will see changes in this direction in the next update.

everlite
07-30-2006, 11:39 PM
To be honest when i just focus on the lower half of the image (the whole cityscape) and not the cave background it looks fine, i don't think the city is the problem, i think it might be the cave structure in the background. Well technical sound and looks great, it doesn't seem to sit well with the city. Perhaps if you could place some small settlements, building and temples up the background wall, around the base. (hard to explain :-) also given the distant, (with relation to the city) i think the wall would have less contrast with itself and less detail.

Hard one to explain i guess.

How did you do all the buildings, are these taken from photographic references? I just love all the detail, it's still very interesting to scan up and down looking at all the little streets, you really imagine this as a working city with schools, malls, homes etc ..

Yeah, one other thing that springs to mind while reading a previous comment is the grass, this kinda makes it look above sea level, i'm not sure, would you have grass below the sea? or anything that could look similar? not sure.

It already looks very good. Don't overkill it with too much thought :-)

Nice one - Dave.

aksu
07-30-2006, 11:55 PM
I understand what yo mean now, and I have to agree, I noticed that too. Thanks for all the advices, I will work on it, and we'll see ;)

The city is almost entirely made out of photographic elements, mostly images of Paris I think. That was really my idea. To show Atlatis as a real, living city. One of the top things on my list is organising the city a little bit beter though, it's very messy right now.

aksu
07-31-2006, 08:47 PM
And here's the update... I'm getting there, but still a lot of things to be fixed.

http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/7540/atlantisnewpp0.jpg

vshen
07-31-2006, 09:21 PM
wow!!! that's really coming together very well!

Inlakechh
07-31-2006, 10:35 PM
yeah thats much better, Alex. The tower is balancing the image.
Very good.

aksu
08-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Here is where I am after some detail tweaking.

I do have some improvment ideas, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna go for it. This may be my final image . If you have any strong comments about it, now it's the time to say it, so please tell me what you think :)

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5130/atlantisfinaljw2.jpg

L-iNC
08-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Well... it looks really nice, but I think the ligthting is a bit too harsh now. I liked the feel of the previous stage better.

everlite
08-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Looks great, a little burnt out down the bottom and i might have stuck a few distant lights up the back wall, small villages etc, but other than that, first class work :-)

- Dave.

ZeeverFett
08-04-2006, 06:12 PM
that is a really nice image, very tranquill

-Ryan

aksu
08-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Ok, here is the FINAL IMAGE.

This is my entry for the challenge.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6812/atlantiscityfinalcd3.jpg

MPavel
08-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Just incredible! BUT.. there is a huge BUT (( The scene is NOT underwater, i don`t believe it`s there :sad:

R-K
08-04-2006, 08:39 PM
hey looks really nice. Maybe too much blacks.. somehow kills the underwater effect.. easier said than done to achieve real underwater environment, as you can see in my entry :P

everlite
08-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Then what would you suggest Mpavel? for me i think a few schools of fish or something close to the camera, like a stingray or something, just something we all associate with been underwater, that's all we need is association. Also, as great as it looks it still looks like grass around the paths to the bottom right. Try saturating this or giving it a tint of blue.

Good luck :-)

- Dave.

Inlakechh
08-04-2006, 09:44 PM
I agree with you everlite, alhough alex tried to solve it with little bubbles.

good luck for the voting Alex, you have a great image there.

aksu
08-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Thank you all for the replies.

Ok, the underwater feel seems to have been a problem always. This is the thing:
As everlite said , the problem could have been easily solved with a school of fish close to the camera,but i didn't want to do that. The fish could be added later in the production, because they would have to be animated. Even the small bubbles I added should be animated. So I think this is enough at this stage, beacause the elements I mentioned before could be easily added and would give the underwater impression.

About the grass... this is because we are association green with grass maybe. I didn't want the image to be monochrome, so I added the green tints. There is alot of green underwater vegetation, and from this distance we wouldn't be able to see more detail.

everlite
08-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Yeah well said Aksu, your painting is still really great, it would be nice to take into after effects and add those elements, give it a little camera pan maybe. It's strange why it still doesn't quite seem to be under water, anoying that i can't pin my finger on it, i think it's a sub-concious thing, there's something that make's me think it's above water but i can't quite understand what, well not so much above water but in an environment with air. I think maybe the paths? if this is a functioning world beneath water would they have paths? i think maybe they might get around by swimming or using subs? not quite sure, it boggles the mind :-)

Still very good though.

Not quite sure how or when this voting will happen, any ideas?

- Dave.

Miss Julie
08-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Fantastic cityscape and setting. I'm missing the flotsam and fawna of the underwater world. It is so well composed and executed.

My Atlantis Entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=388972)

MPavel
08-07-2006, 08:20 AM
All i`ll say here is just my opinion and nothing more )) And no insult at all :)

No, i was talking not about fishes or bubles (for underwater mood creation). And all that you said about it is wrong. In some thread here jamesvfx said that the images gotta be like a shot from the movies with all stuff like it`s took from the movie itself (as far as i remember). So your opinion that this is the contest of simple backgrounds for further postproduction is lil wierd ))

I can tell you for sure that all the close structures (buildings) gotta be detailed models as well so they are added in the post too along with the bubbles and fishes and background. Why did you paint them? They can be added after in post :rolleyes: I hope you get me correct

I wasn`t talking about fishes and bubles (you have them in your image btw :) ). Your "atmosphere" is like a fresh transparent air, but underwater is not so transparent and all objects are not so vivid and sharp (especialy lights)

Again best luck to you!!! YOur work is one of the best here to my opinion :thumbsup:

aksu
08-07-2006, 08:48 AM
OK, MPavel, now I see what you mean, though I do not totally agree :)

First of all don't be under the impression that I think "this is the contest of simple backgrounds for further postproduction", because it's as far away from the truth as it could be :). I don't think I gave the impression that I want to creat just a simple background.

Now about the facts. My entry has the camera placed very far away from the city and this is very important in the interpretation of the image.Because of the distance, we couldn't be able to see detailed underwater vegetation, so we cannot be talking about grass or anything, everything is just very far away. The same thing goes regarding the foreground buildings. Camera panning or slight movement wouldn't have a big effect on the view over the buildings, again because of the distance.I mentioned the bubbles and fish because those are very dynamic elements.

Anyway, to keep it simple, I understand what you mean,and I agree to a certain point, but we are just looking at it a bit different. And do not worry about me taking your comments as an insult, I'm always open to discussion and I enjoy it. I respect you and your work, and I'm happy to be able to discuss these matters with you.

MPavel
08-07-2006, 09:46 AM
gotcha man :thumbsup: Ok, as i said - it`s only my vision and nothing more )) So many pips and so many different opinions! And i`m glad you don`t follow other`s opinions so blindly :applause:

Cheers from Russia!

aksu
08-07-2006, 03:55 PM
It's good to listen to everyone and take every idea into consideration.

Cheers from Romania :D

MPavel
08-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Hehe, my parents will tranzit Romania very soon ))) I`v been to many romanian cities! To tell the truth i like your country very much, dude :thumbsup:

everlite
08-07-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm soooo missing something here, did this contest end last friday? I just don't get why there's no judging as yet? Anyone in the know?

- Dave.

VladPascanu
08-18-2006, 09:56 PM
good job
i really like your image
plus ca e o mandrie sa vezi un roman castigand un concurs
bafta:thumbsup:

misu
08-19-2006, 05:58 AM
"good job
i really like your image
plus ca e o mandrie sa vezi un roman castigand un concurs
bafta:thumbsup:"

Agree ;)

aksu
08-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Multumesc ;)

Matellis
08-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Congrats on the first place Alex! you worked very hard and it shows :) Enjoy the books and I hope your in the next challenge. Keep up the great work.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
08-20-2006, 07:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.