PDA

View Full Version : Do you use reactive shaders?

halfworld
07-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Hello all,

So, this is half curiosity and half market research :)

Answer away!
Ian

Igors
07-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi, IanSo, this is half curiosity and half market research :)
In any case "too late" is better than "never", so, after 5 (or more ?) years of using reactive shaders this aspect is finally under microscope of analyse :) Let us repeat a classic Matt's Q for Q: "compare to?" Really, what alternative has EI user except "reactive"? Elections of only one candidate are enough predictable :)

halfworld
07-10-2006, 07:03 PM
The question specifically means:

Do you use the reactive features of reactive shaders :)

The reason I ask is I know many people that don't, and several that can't. I was wondering if most people simply used texture maps, or if they use reactive shading as well...

So, it's not a case of "Compared to...." It's a case of "As well as textures and normal shader modes."

But yes, it's time they were examined!

Ian

Reuben5150
07-10-2006, 11:13 PM
One of the great things about the EIAS material system is reactive shading, it would become a whole lot more "user friendly" if we had vertex painting tools with out the need to import/export and or use a plugin/external app IMO.

but sure, i use it.. quite a lot actually :)

Reuben

atdesign
07-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Hi guys. Yes, every once in while its a great tool to have.

My first post here.

Martin Kay
07-11-2006, 07:12 AM
When I used EI I had most of the triple D shaders, but found them complicated to use with little practical help from the supplied instructions. It all needed some good tutorials...

Martin K

halfworld
07-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Hi Reuben,

I totally agree with you, if we had a system similar to the already in place strength map painting but for reactive shaders I would be a very happy man.

Currently I find that you have to jump through a few too many hoops. However, that being the case, I still use them whenever I see the need to.

I'm not sure if you have it, but Antiqua certainly makes things easier.
Ian

plsyvjeucxfw
07-11-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm not using any reactive shaders currently, but I could see using them in the future. Sorry, that's not a choice in the poll.

scott_m29
07-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I've used it sometimes, and would like to employ it more often.

The interface and visual feedback delay currently makes it a bit frustrating (on my Powerbook at least): tinker with some settings, render a partial window, tinker some more, render a partial window again, etc. I'm not well-versed in a lot of solid techniques based on experience, so that's the hurdle - some tutorial content with any new shaders to come out would be a plus.

The April terrain challenge got me started again more, but I rediscovered the little flashing pixels thing when tracking with a camera. Probably a method to banish those, but didn't have it up my sleeve.

And the test terrain images you posted from that anonymous user,.. that left me wondering what was possibly around the corner.

Scott

Vizfizz
07-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi guys. Yes, every once in while its a great tool to have.

My first post here.

Welcome aboard!

Vizfizz
07-11-2006, 05:50 PM
And the test terrain images you posted from that anonymous user,.. that left me wondering what was possibly around the corner.

Scott

Hmmm...you'll just have to wait and see. ;)

Reuben5150
07-11-2006, 10:42 PM
The April terrain challenge got me started again more, but I rediscovered the little flashing pixels thing when tracking with a camera. Probably a method to banish those, but didn't have it up my sleeve.

Scott

Usually you'd up the AA sampling level, a lot of shaders especially fancy 3d party ones generate more detail than even EI camera can handle, only cure - reduce detail or up AA.

Reuben

Reuben5150
07-11-2006, 10:49 PM
When I used EI I had most of the triple D shaders, but found them complicated to use with little practical help from the supplied instructions. It all needed some good tutorials...

Martin K

The reactive concept is pretty simple, not so simple in practice, using something like AG mondo cloud can complicate things due to the nature of the shader, would recommend starting with a less complex reactive shader like the ones that came with EIAS 6 or 6.5.

Reuben

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2006, 10:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.