PDA

View Full Version : My Introduction - And Queries

carney
07-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Hey Everyone,

Im Kristan carne (Carney) and i have returned after i lost intrest awhile back in artwork. I use to work alot with 3d but never really found it for me. I Just recently was watching my girlfriend paint and it just hit me i have a talent in that area aswell so why am i not using it. So today i have decided ill get into the 2D scene. I have very limited knowlege in this area on the software side of things tho in actual life give me brushes and pen's pencils colours im off. Tho im sure with training in programs i can manage to get the same result's on my computer i would on paper or canvas.I Work with photoshop cs2 but only ever really for photo editing and website design/slogan design etc. Today i went and bought a graphics tablet(Wacom).
Now Can i have some personal Opinions on what works and best to work with [for me aswell as im learning and the results i can get also what works best with the graphics tablet].

Software:

Photoshop-
Painter-
Sketchbook-
Studiotools-

Where do i start with no knowlege to having enough understanding to get effects like those in the cg choice artworks. So any good Beging resources!?

Thanks people
I guess i understand what its like for those that where new coming into the 3d scene.

Carney

CGmonkey
07-10-2006, 10:43 AM
First of all.. What's the matter with pen and paper? ;)

Photoshop would be a good foundation, but eventually you want to explore Painter. Nowadays the best solution would be to harness both the softwares strengths.

carney
07-10-2006, 02:00 PM
First of all.. What's the matter with pen and paper? ;)
Nothing at all mate! i will still use it for planning but i just personally enjoy digital better then i dont need to go buy paints brushes pens pencils paper canvas's etc. 2d is great its like having all those things without the mess and expense. Great recycled system.

Photoshop would be a good foundation, but eventually you want to explore Painter. Nowadays the best solution would be to harness both the softwares strengths.

I Guess your right there mate i was looking at painter tho i dont want to jump in too deep yet! ill work on photoshop. What type of thing should i be doing atm to get better! Study tutorials, understand the program more. Is there an art anyone recommends me get good at before jumping into more complicated arts. example ,cartoon/anime looks easy then say a matte painting. Looking at the master artists work on there close up pics just mind blows me how am i supose to get all those tiny details in and understand that when im zoomed out it will create such an amazing effect! Also im not a really great artist tho from growing up a talents been there to produce realistic work. like in primary school grade 5 i done a photorealistic sketch of a cockertoo lol. Sorry im probly irritating and asking to much at this point!

Thanks
-carney

carney
07-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Heres a Sketch of a landscape i done quickly in photoshop!
http://f10.putfile.com/7/19011004520.jpg

Yes probly looks trash to everyone but hey i havent done art for agies! now how the hell would i go about if i wanted to follow on colouring it and making it look real what needs to be done for all that kinda stuff!?

Rebeccak
07-10-2006, 03:55 PM
carney,

Hi there, I've moved your thread here as I think that you will get more directed replies here. :)

This thread should be of great use to you:

FORUM PRIMER FAQ: Drawing / Painting - Where Do I Start? + Human Reference Resources (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=357772)

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

carney
07-10-2006, 11:08 PM
carney,

Hi there, I've moved your thread here as I think that you will get more directed replies here. :)

This thread should be of great use to you:

FORUM PRIMER FAQ: Drawing / Painting - Where Do I Start? + Human Reference Resources (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=357772)

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

Oh ok!, Cheers thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2006, 11:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.