PDA

View Full Version : Color Bit Depth:Float

Reality3D
01-17-2003, 12:22 AM
I'm using some float images with combustion 2.1 and if i apply Brightness& contrast or another filter seams that the "high dynamic range" does not appear(the image flattens like if it was 8 bit). The footage is set to float, like the composite. Any suggestions?

Chris
01-17-2003, 12:35 AM
It should be alright, are you sure the image is floating point? You didnt clamp the range by accident when rendering & then just save it as a float image? Are you using an RPF?

Reality3D
01-17-2003, 12:55 AM
I am trying with cineon and 16 bit (with non campled color) .rpf's. Could it be the lut?

Chris
01-17-2003, 01:17 AM
Could be, You could try view LUT & see if that makes a difference to what it looks like on screen

This might be a no-brainer, but you dont have your desktop depth at 16 bit do you? ;)

Reality3D
01-17-2003, 01:52 AM
Well, playing wit Lut i get the dynamic range i wan't(so it's not internally clamped), but I apply then brighnest&contrast and cannot go beyond or below the dynamic range(like in hdrishop changing the exposure) :surprised
I would be very glad if I see with and example i'm wrong :)

Chris
01-17-2003, 02:12 AM
Try using the histogram in the colour corrector instead of the brightness contrast, just shift around the centre arrow, which should effect a 'gamma' change as opposed to shifting the whole range, that will leave the white & black points alone, & may end up more what you are after.

Also, if that still doesnt work, to narrow down where the problem is arising, you could try rendering out to a floating point TIFF file, & load that up in Combustion & HDR Shop. Then see if it behaves like a HDRI in HDR Shop, that would let you know whether it is your renderer, or combustion that is letting you down. :)

Reality3D
01-17-2003, 02:46 AM
It's not exactly like I imagined in my dreams ;) , but well, seams to work manipulating the histogram. Thanks Chris !!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.