PDA

View Full Version : "Workstation" laptop?

geoff3dnz
01-16-2003, 11:59 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to be travelling soon (and for a while), and would like to get a decent laptop to do my work on... (Lightwave etc)

I've kind of narrowed it down to the Dell M50 (2.2Ghz P4-M, 1Gb DDR SDRAM), or the Sony GRX600 (known as the GRX5P in my neck of the woods) (2.0Ghz P4-M, 1Gb DDR SDRAM).

The Dell comes with a 64Mb Quadro4 500 GoGL graphics card and 15" screen, the Sony only comes with a 32Mb ATI Radeon 7500, but has a 16.1" screen. I know the Dell's 60Gb HD is 5400RPM, I'm not sure what speed the Sony's 60Gb HD is.

One benefit of the Dell is that it has a parallel port, so that I won't have to shell out extra money for a new USB dongle for LW. (But it costs more than the Sony in the first place...)

If anyone has any experience with either of these machines (or any other equivalent laptop) please let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Geoff

MaDSheeP
01-17-2003, 12:18 AM
i do know that the alias wavefront reps use M50's,

and the Radeon cards aparently will be the most unstable cards to run 3d programs on... :shrug:

rootoftwo
01-17-2003, 12:35 AM
geoff3dnz:

I can't help you with the particular models you're considering, but I do own an older F Series Sony Vaio laptop. Mostly it rocks (especially the screen) for what I need it to do. However, I have recently noticed some Readme files that said Vaios are a No-No. The model I have has some proprietary Sony multimedia widgets (technical terminology) under the hood. I don't know if it is a hardware or a software issue - I'm not a tech head. This might not be an issue today but it wouldn't hurt to double check if Sony are still doing this. Sorry I can't be more specific or of any more help. Maybe someone else is using LW on one and can reassure you.

cheers

elvis
01-17-2003, 03:01 AM
there are already a number of threads asking the same question. try searching for them

for example, here's one i replied to a few days back:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37520

wmendez
01-17-2003, 05:40 AM
If you want a workstation laptop the fujitsu Celsius is the one to go with

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/rl/products/workstations/celsius/celsiusbenchmarksmobileh.html

luxojr
01-17-2003, 08:22 AM
I'm an happy owner of a DELL M50, coming from a terrible story with a ThinkPad A31p.

If you are looking for a certified mobile workstation look toward DELL (M50) or Fujitsu-Siemens (Celsius Mobile H) or Compaq (Evo N800w).

The first two use a Quadro 500 GoGl and are provided with "kick-ass" OpenGL drivers. The third one comes with a FireGL 9000, but i have no idea how good and stable have become FireGL drivers (or catalist ones) with highend 3d Apps (the ones coming with FireGL 7800 were the worst i've ever used).

But since you're not going to use a highend app (when i think to highend i refer to Alias StudioTools which still requires Overlay planes or stuff like this) u could also think to buy a laptop with a GeForce 440 Go or one with a Radeon 9000.

The fact that M50, Celsius H, Evo N800w cost more is justified by the ISV certification they have. It ensure certified software to run "perfectly" on these machines.

For anything else, please ask.
Luxo Jr.

geoff3dnz
01-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by luxojr
I'm an happy owner of a DELL M50, coming from a terrible story with a ThinkPad A31p.
LOL! I had scrapped the Sony idea, and was seriously considering the IBM A31p! Cheers for that!

Thanks everyone for their replies... :)

Geoff

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.