PDA

View Full Version : Weight painting really SLOWWwwwww......

adrencg
07-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I have a pretty fast computer...athlon x2 4400 2 GB ram Ati x800(i've heard ati's and XSi don't mix...is it true?).

I have most of my rigged character hidden except for the part I'm weight painting(a hand and fingers). The interface is so slow on updates and it takes about 6 seconds(or more) to see any updates on the brush tool. I froze the modeling stack and that helped some...is XSI really this slow when it comes to weighting? Actually, character interaction in general is just crawling. Any tips for a speed up?

ThE_JacO
07-09-2006, 02:58 PM
you don't need to freeze the modelling stack, you need to freeze the operators on the envelope, which can be found under the primitive>clusters>envelopecls>map.
select that map and freeze that with the freeze button.

the videocard might be an ati, but weightpainting speed is largely CPU dependant in terms of lag.

XSI is acknowledged to be one of the fastest at doing it, but there are several things that might cause the delays.
density of the mesh, other operators to compute before the deform can be displayed etc.
and hiding elements doesn't necessarily help, as hidden or not lazy evaluation will normally be quite smart in XSI, but if there are graph dependancies with other objects, they will be evaluated correctly, hidden or not (like a wrap on another mesh, or a cage etc.)

try muting all ops except for the envelope one, and paint in a soloed view synced to modelling, so that nothing other then the painting will be considered, when you want to see what you've done un-solo the view to see what's happening in another one or make the view display result and not just the modelling mode.

adrencg
07-09-2006, 04:14 PM
I'll definitely look into all of this....thanks so much. I seem to have magically acquired speed by switching resolutions to 1280 by 1024, then back again to a smaller one. The weight painting has sped up consiberably.

Nothing ever surprises me with computers anymore, so I won't ask how this fixed it.

ThE_JacO
07-09-2006, 04:19 PM
it's more likely that closing and re-opening the scene, or restarting the box, or whatever else you did while changing resolution was the determining factor.

solid lag can easily be caused by something OS related.

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2006, 04:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.