PDA

View Full Version : Races of Middle Earth - character - Jaspar

Jaspar
01-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Hi! This is my first entry, having only got into 3D late last year. Seems like a great way to learn something off all of you out there. I hope you'll all give me plenty of advice and feedback (pretty please :thumbsup: ).

Dragonflea - Probably the reason most dragons seem so ****ed off.

Seldom reported about, let alone studied (for obvious reasons), this creature is the dragon's only known parasite, other than worms! Probably followed the dragon species from the swamp, way back in the evolutionary timescale. (" 'See the world', he said!" :rolleyes: ).

Over the years the dragonflea has evolved for it's specific task in life. It has a hardened shell, mimicing the bumps on a dragons scaley skin (poorly represented on my sketch). It locates a prime vein; digs in it's claws; wraps it's thumbs around it's thighs for anchorage; and lives like a limpit drinking a protein shake.

If my modelling all goes horribley wrong, I guess I can just model the shell, it'll be rendered in it's natural pose! "Honestly guvner, the detail is there!" :p

fleedawg
01-16-2003, 10:47 PM
Hey, that's a really unique concept! It should be pretty cool once it's all put together.

Jaspar
01-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks fleedawg. :beer:

Here's an update, now I've started to model it. Getting the basic shape before adding detail (or a shell :D ).

Jaspar
02-17-2003, 11:18 PM
Was really looking forward to doing this challenge, then got side-tracked by overtime and DIY. Still, there's time left, and I have a habit of leaving things till the last minute. Anyhow here's a slight update, for anyone who cares to comment. Going to have to work on the mouth alot more, and, well, just about everything else. I know it's crap, but, feedback please!

Satyricon
02-18-2003, 06:13 AM
Very unique concept my friend! Nice model as well.:thumbsup: Looking forward for updates!!!:bounce:

Jaspar
02-28-2003, 12:47 AM
Thanks, Satyricon!

Well, time's running out, and I've only just started texturing. Wish I had more free time to spare. Rather unfortunately, texturing is my weakest point, so I'd appreciate any last minute suggestions/advise anyone comes up with (though I realise this is not the best time) :). Fortunately I've got tomorrow off work, so I'll hopefully be able to do some last minute touches, and come up with something that looks a bit more finished:shrug:

Here's my penultimate picture post for this challenge...

Grub
02-28-2003, 01:09 AM
Hi, Jaspar. That flea's a pretty unusual idea for this challenge. Never mind living on dragons, I can see that pest crawling round in the hair between Frodo's toes...:D
Here's a thing: a creature living under a shell like him may be quite pale underneath. When you're texturing, you may wanna give him a whitened underbelly.:thumbsup:

Jaspar
02-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Grub, I've changed the lighting, so it's now a bit more pale.

Submitted a rather poor render just before the deadline. Unfortunately I opted for a rather untested SXGA render which was taking too long, so restarted it a lower res. The render finished just before 12, but got the DOF totally wrong. As the deadline is now past, I'll leave the CGChallenge last post as it is, but I'll link from here the update (post closing date). This is exactly the same scene posted prior to the close, just with DOF and res modified. I didn't really finish it, certainly had alot more texturing to do, but never mind.

I really enjoyed this challenge, and am now going to spend some time loking over the far superior entries.

http://website.lineone.net/~jaspar.cadenhead/dragonflea.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.