PDA

View Full Version : Aligning instanced gemoetry to meshes normals?

Sanzliot
07-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Hi,
Anyone know of a way to have instanced geometry from a parray or something to align to the normals of the mesh its being drawn on. Or perhaps another way to do this?
Cheers,
David

joconnell
07-09-2006, 02:22 PM
The speed by surface operator has an option to make particles travel out from a surface - do that and set the particles to use a rotation set to speed space follow. If you need them to stop just set a tiny speed amount so they hardly move off the surface and feed them into an event with speed 0.

Sanzliot
07-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the tip :)
i also discovered that if you use the scatter compound object, there is a setting to make the scattered object perpendicular to the faces of the distrobution object.

supremepizza
07-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Rotation->speed space follow. Then adjust your x-y-z usually in 90-180-270.

tecsun
03-17-2007, 08:24 AM
The speed by surface operator has an option to make particles travel out from a surface - do that and set the particles to use a rotation set to speed space follow. If you need them to stop just set a tiny speed amount so they hardly move off the surface and feed them into an event with speed 0.

hi joconell, thanks for your tips, it really helps when I do some modification. I changed the Direction of Speed by Surface to "Parellel to surface" and the particle can now align to vertices perfectly to a curve surface. I dig this thread up just willing to share with all who looking for this solution. ^_^

to align evenly on vertices, thanks Oleg B. for sharing this:
http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2007, 08:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.