PDA

View Full Version : how to avoid intersecting particle shapes

Jerico
07-08-2006, 01:30 PM
hi everybody,

it is a question, i am occuppied very long. usually i pay less attenion on it, because i make just explosions and something like that ;) but now there is a situation i need a solution about that.
how can i tell my lovely particles not to intersect with the geometry?

for better understanding i attached an image.
http://www.undothis.net/help/question_b6.jpg

hope someone can help me :)

bye

Neejoh
07-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Basicly make a simple box which roughly looks like the hallway (the less faces the faster the calculation will be). Put a Udeflector in your scene and in PFlow select this Udeflector in your collision test event.

Jerico
07-08-2006, 02:52 PM
hi neejoh,

thx for the quick reply, but i allready did that :( the hallway itself has a udeflector. the cubes bounces not until their pivot point hits the surface. thats why they intersect.

SaMaDooO
07-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Actually this is happening coz the particles are the ones who collide (which are placed on the shape's pivot) regardless what shape u r assigning after that.
You can hack that by making another hallway smaller than the original one and use that as the deflector,then hide it so no intersection occurs into the original hallway.

Actually "Thinking Particles" has some physics simulation based particle collisions,which would give you the effect that you want.I hope that would be implemented inside max's particles. :)

I hope that helped :)
Regards

Jerico
07-08-2006, 08:33 PM
thx man,

not bad. this could be a solution. i'll try it later.

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2006, 08:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.