PDA

View Full Version : Ford Focus Wrc, Simon.reeves (3D), (3D)

SimonReeves
01-16-2003, 07:04 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/8005/reeves1984_large_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/8005/reeves1984_large.jpg)

Title: Ford Focus Wrc, Simon.reeves (3D)
Name:
Software:

modelled with max 4.2 and rendered with brazil textures and a bit of post in photoshop

Elliotjnewman
01-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Amazing. The rendering is really nice, as is the lighting. The texturing is really nice too. How long did this take? and could you post a wire and some texture examples?

Brilliant!!!:)

Najd
01-16-2003, 07:40 PM
nice. perfect render, cool textures... :eek: Grrrreat

stecki
01-16-2003, 08:46 PM
thats cool, but i wish the front end was more lit up. would be cool to have dirt tracks on the stark whit background for the "photoshoot" and little pieces of dirt that fell off the car. the clean part of the glass looks too clean for the dirtiness of the car. great job nonetheless! :D

DOOMNINJA
01-16-2003, 08:48 PM
Cool, i love the composition of the scene overall - and EVERYthing else as well i might add. I actually think your lighting is rally cool...
Hehe, but could you when you get a chance, render out a lighter scene so we can all gawk at your details. Especially in the front region. WEEEE. I wanna drive!

-DOOM

LoneLobo
01-16-2003, 08:52 PM
wow!

awesome work, what technique did you use to make the dirt?
Everytime I try to add dirt to my textures, it doesnt look like whats supposed to.

please tell me :D

thank you

btw, I'll give you 4 stars, when you have environment it will be 5 ;)

oops, didn't notive your WIP thread :wip:
now i have the answer, thank you ;)

SimonReeves
01-16-2003, 09:48 PM
thanks guys

LoneLobo: i made the textures in photoshop, basicly using a photo of mud, cloneing that across to the main map and erasing parts/adding/burn etc.

maybe i'll go into more depth later on ;)

I used polymodeling with meshtools/cspoly tools

stecki: i like your idea :)

i first started this model months ago i think ...

heres a few more renders

http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/focusbig2.jpg

wireframe (http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/wire.jpg)

i'll post a back view and atexture later on :thumbsup:

Daniel
01-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Nice Car!

I've checkd the Wireframe...is that just the version without mesh smooth?

Cya.

viper11885
01-16-2003, 10:56 PM
wow, looks very cool!!.. love the effect of the mud, makes it look very realistic.

SimonReeves
01-16-2003, 11:00 PM
dan: yes it is indeed

apart from the windscreen, and the headlight covers i frogto to delete the meshsmooth when i collpased them all together :)

also i made the rims in rhino - thats why there is such high polys

piajartist
01-17-2003, 04:30 AM
I was gettin ready to bag on you for picking a ford focus to model, but the whole dirt and racing thing really made me appreciate it. Nice piece of work.

RiotManZ
01-17-2003, 10:24 AM
I know I shall not have other gods beside the 'real' one , but hey what u did here is godlike!!

This is so unbelievable great! I am speechless!!!!!
:bowdown:

Animation, animation, animation!!!!! Pleeeeeeease

Mangled Poly
01-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Your best car yet! Very nice man, put it in an enviroment now.... of course you better have the wrx beating it (as we all know its a beter car!)

cuse
01-17-2003, 10:46 AM
very nice model indeed!!!
the only thing is the dirt looks a little 'dusty'... but fantastic work :surprised

thats one of the first things i thought as well, to have some dried dirt fallen off the car and maybe tyre tracks?
:curious:

any more renders? larger possibly???
:D

cuse

SimonReeves
01-17-2003, 10:50 AM
thanks guys :)

i'm gonna play with doing a little animation this morning, and i'll render a bigger still out later hopefully :thumbsup:

MCGrund
01-17-2003, 11:26 AM
Hey reeves1984,
I can tell you I am not that much into car models cause I'm not a "car guy" at all. I think there are quite too many people around worshipping cars. But this model is just wonderfully stunning, amazing,....
I love it!!!:love:
I like the lighting of the second rendering much better cause there you can see all those nice little details. I support the idea of tyre tracks and fallen off dirt. It would add a lot to the composition.

Bjolletts
01-17-2003, 12:04 PM
The finished version is great ! Looks like they forgot to wash the car after the first day of the RAC-Rally ... :)

I think the car mateial on the clean version in the animation is great ... any tips on how you achieved that ?

/ daniel

Vic3k
01-17-2003, 12:18 PM
great modeling, texturings and rendering!!!
finally not another shiny car :thumbsup:

xyth
01-17-2003, 03:35 PM
Hiya,

Reheheally cool! Does not have that very high detail, but it is not needed at all! Thanks to the textures!

However I wouold have some suggestion on the texture, some building critics:

- If the 2nd area is dirty as hell then 1st why not??? :surprised

- I would suggest to make some dirt-trajectories (green lines) which is applied by the wheel.

- Use bumpmap for the dirt (more hard, if any, but don't overdo it!). The dust should not this smooth on every part of the car. Let it be look like dried mud. And the mud neither that smooth... ;)

Great work!
-xyth

SimonReeves
01-17-2003, 03:46 PM
xyth: thanks for the advice - i shall play with them for when i do the next render see if i can get those "dirt-trajectories" to work :)

here is a render with tracks, i'm fairly pleased with them :rolleyes:

http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/focustracks.jpg

ToddD
01-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Just keeps getting better my friend!!! Congratulations on getting up on the main page, well deserved and long overdo!:applause:

Joril
01-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Fantastic work here !!:bounce: :thumbsup:

one little comment is that the some areas of the windows look untouched, you'd think at least some small spatters reached them. So al tiny little more dirt on the windows, just to break up the reflection.

Miyazaki
01-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Nothing to say. Unbelievable, great. I love the texturing. Perfect :buttrock: :wip: :applause: :thumbsup: :airguitar

soundwave_46
01-17-2003, 04:57 PM
10 freakin stars man ! :buttrock: U rock

akela
01-17-2003, 05:18 PM
This car rocks! :thumbsup: Nice work, reeves!
xith: you're right, sometimes we forget that if the car is dirty, it's cause it was moving at high speed trough the mud, so it would be interesting to see that "dirt-trajectories".
A little suggestion, reeves: wouldn't be nicer also to tweak the glass material (the untouched areas as Joril said) so it can give the impresion that got dried after some dirty water reached it?
I mean, glass should look in some spots not so reflective. Some times glass surface give some strange patterns due to oil-and-water dirt. I don't know if you get me :hmm:
Well, reeves, anyway, it's an awesome good render:D . I like it very much. Some tips about lightning the scene? did you used HDRI or something?
Can anybody give some tips about how to set up a Brazil glass material so it can give the realistic appearence I've mentioned? :) thnx

cuse
01-17-2003, 05:52 PM
haha, wow thats a great improovment, really good stuff :surprised

the only thing is the tread looks clean? hmmm. :D

cuse

eMiG
01-17-2003, 06:00 PM
WOWWWww Looks great!!!!! Great model and texture.

But looking at all the mud at the car I would say it was a real rough course, so I guess the windscreen would also be muddy except at the place where the wipper goes ofcourse.

SimonReeves
01-17-2003, 07:42 PM
thnaks for the comments people

akela: the first render is hdri - skylight and enviroment

the rest have the hdri map in the environment slot only - so its just a white skylight so one can see abit more of the model [plus its saves lots of time :) ]

here is latest image
http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/focustracks2.jpg :thumbsup:

Blackarts
01-17-2003, 07:49 PM
sweet model, and I love the dirt texture!

looking good...

Lukashi
01-17-2003, 08:10 PM
I love that! I actually liked it more when there wherent rocks because its hard to see where they came from, i liked it when it was only dirt because it looking like i just ran offroad into a beautifully clean studio, with out without rocks it still well rocks :D

akela
01-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Hahaha! Well, it seems that everyone would like to see this car in a different way, but I found it very impressive at this stage. Good work, Simon! Thnx for a warm answer! :thumbsup:

Error404
01-17-2003, 09:45 PM
You stole my Idea! Just kidding :P You remember my K5 Blazer Reeves? I was going to give it the "show room" backdrop (with curtains and stuff), and having the muddy truck with the mud clumps on the ground and mud tracks!

Nice tho, I really like it!

CDS
01-17-2003, 09:59 PM
As always reeves1984.....you do incredible work. Id love to see this animated in a great rally scene. Seeing it perform some obscene jumps and cornering would kick.

Great Job!

stephen2002
01-17-2003, 10:02 PM
looks great. However, that dirt looks more like dried mud...as in it has been sitting there for a while after the race

Great work :thumbsup:

robertp
01-17-2003, 10:39 PM
This looks very good. I think it would look even better with clumps of mud being built up in the wheelwell. Also if you animate it, it would be nice to see the mud layer animated as well.

great job.

Rob:D

NelsonInomvan
01-17-2003, 10:57 PM
wow graet :thumbsup:

SimonReeves
01-17-2003, 10:57 PM
cheers guys

i'm gonna set it up for an animation overnight :thumbsup:

i've managed to get the cameras back in place so they are the same as the original anim so hopefull i can mix them into the first animation without to much trouble :)

Error404: u'll have to send me a image because i dont know the one you mean:p

one last thing for now, here is a wallpaper for you all :)

1280 x 1024 wallpaper (http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/wallpaper.jpg)

lildragon
01-18-2003, 12:01 AM
Grundgy, dirty and filthy, just the way I like it :p but why o why does it have to be on a white plane :cry: come on dude this car is like near perfect with the mud and grime and dirt tracks and all, and you put it on a white plane????!?! Dude composite it unto a dirt track or sommin :D Also do add some bulge to the tires, to make it look grounded, not much but at least a smidge.

Nonetheless, you do get the award, THOUGH I don't think it's complete! But by the time the gallery opens up I hope you'll have the completed version to show :)

You have received the CGtalk choice award . Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Incredible work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame - when it becomes available

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/award_jan_2003.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

hhmaya
01-18-2003, 04:32 AM
wow!!!!!!
good shade
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
There is cross-country felling very much:beer:

typeA
01-18-2003, 04:55 AM
well normaly i dont reply to car posts but sence it's raly raceing im gona..3 words F@$king bad ass..waiting for the animations

facial
01-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Cooooool work here, I love it . Well done.:thumbsup:

nose
01-18-2003, 01:53 PM
This looks really good. Great work man!!

hazz
01-18-2003, 03:29 PM
ggs

looks really good matesh keep it real

stickyblue
01-18-2003, 04:13 PM
thats amazing texturing dude

winberg
01-18-2003, 05:23 PM
hmm, I am modelling this car myself....well at least I got some inspiration....very nice modelling...

If there are some things to improve upon it would be to round some of the edges....

Personally I would tone down the dirt a bit, If you go to fordracing.net you can look at in race pictures of the focus.
There is not often that the cars get this dirty...however this is just me nitpicking...The car looks great as it is...

Tom

Sez
01-18-2003, 07:16 PM
Nice job!:buttrock:

Could we see some wire shots and some closer shots too please? I'm into modeling and I want to see and how people work so I can improve my modeling skills!

Can't wait to see it animated!

Thanks!

:beer: :thumbsup:

Skeeter33
01-18-2003, 08:28 PM
just from the "work on cars, deal with tires" standpoint, it appears from the angle you have direction tires on the car, and they are pointing in the wrong direction -- here is a good rule of thumb:

bumper
/\ /\
/\ /\

treads with V-shape directional point toward the bumper -- always and

Bumper
/|/ \|\
/|/ \|\

treads that have a /|/ shape to them make an over-all V shape pointed toward the bumper of the car. The point being is that the mud/water is always being pushed away from the car toward the outside.

Overall, awesome render but i agree with Lil'Dragon that the car yerns to be spinning around a corner on a muddy track with lil chunks flying up.. . MMMMMMMMMM yum. :)

Pinionist
01-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Great Work! Most of +++ opinions was said, all I want to say is maybe you should take a look on 3D demo reel of Mill http://www.mill.co.uk, there is a muded car, that is going to shake all over, so you can see in stages how is mud disapearing. This isn't much long, but I think that it could inspire you for future animation of this car. :thumbsup:

SimonReeves
01-19-2003, 12:04 AM
thanks for more comments guys :thumbsup:
espicially lildragon ;)

here is the scene i am working on for now

http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/testscene.jpg

some more rendering of that first animation[but muddy] will be going tonight :thumbsup:

Pinionist: nice link mate, they are very impressive - its always nice to see things in demo reels that u've seen on telly :)

Sez: certainly will do sometime

Skeeter33: thanks for that, i never notice which way is correct for tires :)

Daniel
01-19-2003, 12:21 AM
Hey!
that's very cool!
But now U also need a Driver and a Co-Driver...haha :p

Cya.

vertigo
01-19-2003, 01:17 AM
WOW! Fantastic!!!

As I saw the position of the steering wheel I was wondering at first that it's a little bit strange... But then I saw you're from UK :scream: And I got it! :p

Really great texturing!

Greets

vertigo

Spozzfreund
01-19-2003, 01:36 AM
Just great!!! :thumbsup: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

xyth
01-20-2003, 08:04 AM
Hiya,

It was great... Now it's awesome!!! :D

-xyth

jcjimenez
01-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Hi,
First of all: Incredible work!!!!

Please, could you make some close shots of the front lights in wireframe and/or diffuse? (without the glass). I'm currently modelling the same car and I have some troubles with the lights.

Thanks in advance!

DIMO
01-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Really perfect work!

SimonReeves
01-21-2003, 04:43 PM
http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/focus%20cam3.avi

here is a sneaky peak for you ;)

i'm working on a animation from that last image and when i can i render this old animation > with the dirty car, so in the end i'll woop it all together :)

ThirdEye
01-21-2003, 04:51 PM
:applause: :beer:

cuse
01-21-2003, 05:05 PM
wow, thats a solid piece there... :scream:

how long did it take to render by the way cause its pretty amazing

cuse

SimonReeves
01-21-2003, 05:09 PM
with the textures its about 8-10mins a frame, so that was about 21 hours ish maybe :)

but when its overnight and during the day when i'm not here its nothing really :)

cuse
01-21-2003, 05:12 PM
yea, well its sweet stuff... tho i suppose it wouldnt be bad theres no need for much lighting there particulary :)

cant wait for more

cuse

SimonReeves
01-24-2003, 11:42 PM
well hello there

heres a bit of a scene image i am working on :thumbsup:
i need to work on the driver some more [its shite atm]

http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/3d/focus/roadsmall.jpg

big version (http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/3d/focus/road.jpg)

lildragon
01-25-2003, 12:45 AM
ah beaut man, keep going, this will look great in the gallery! :D

salud

Spozzfreund
01-26-2003, 12:13 AM
And don't forget the people whom are jumping out of the way. ;)

Edit: Thanks for a big version of the new pic. :)

nose
01-26-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by reeves1984
well hello there

heres a bit of a scene image i am working on

And when can we download the whole scene?

cuse
01-27-2003, 02:59 PM
only just noticed the larger render. mmm :)

cuse

SimonReeves
04-10-2003, 11:35 PM
i thought this might be a good place to post this ;)

its something like what i'm gonna submit for expose :) [you may notice it is using stuff from other renders ;)]
but i have also made new wheels, and some changes to the car maps

http://www.simonreeves.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/focustest5i.jpg

oh and btw, nothing is ever finished ever ;)

Spozzfreund
04-11-2003, 01:03 AM
This is more than a good place to post this, it is the best. :D
Where is the BIG version? ;) *looking around*
http://people.freenet.de/fsr/neo_beam.gif

tilite
03-30-2005, 08:15 AM
thats awesome man.
the realism is unbelievable
absolutly amazing
congratulations

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2005, 08:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.