PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card upgrade

westmeadow
01-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Hiya Everyone,
I am going to ask you about a subject that has probably been covered so many times in the past. But what the heck?!?! I want to upgrade my graphics card in the near future from a Geforce2 MX 200 64mb to a Geforce4 ti4200 128mb DDR. I would like to use it for cg character animation, and i am not worried about gaming. So i'll need to handle a high poly count. Would that card be a good upgrade or will i not notice much of a difference in performance? If not, could you recommend a better card (while keeping an eye on the money side of things). Thank you in advance,

Assie

BrainFaucet
01-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Not sure how the CeForce 2 runs, but I recently grabbed a GeForce4 ti4200 and it is very nice! Granted I was upgrading from a very old 32 meg Oxygen GVX1 card, but the performance boost is very nice, and the accuracy is about the same as the GVX1 was.

Oh, and I recommend not getting abit's card with an OTES (Outside Thermal Exhaust System) like I did. It is way too loud. The card is great, but the noise sucks.

elvis
01-17-2003, 12:06 AM
gf2mx 200 cards are horrible and should never have been allowed on the market. they have low-speed cores with passive cooling (bad idea on both counts) and half-bit-rate DDR or full bit rate SDR, both at shitty speeds anyway.

a ti4200 will give you a MASSIVE boost in performance. you won't be sorry. :)

to put it in perspective: i had a gf2mx (overclocked to gf2mx400 speeds) which was also soft-quadroed to a quadro2mxr. the softquadro mod gave me some really great performance over the stock card.

i upgraded to a gf4ti4200 128MB card, and haven't looked back. even without the softquadro, the performance is great.

westmeadow
01-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Hiya,
excellent. Thanks alot for your help. I may just invest in one! :thumbsup:
Thanks again,
Assie

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.