PDA

View Full Version : Looking for plugin that makes logos

Buddha20
07-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi,

I know this is a silly question but i am looking for a plugin that makes it easy to make logos. I know the best logos are the ones you make yourself but is there any plugins that do better text effects and custom shapes ect?

Thanks for any info :)

Ian Jones
07-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Umm, no. Making a logo this way is terrible. What better way to remove any kind of identity by using effects / looks presets that you can gaurantee have been done many times before. I'm intrigued where you are coming from with this question... is this for a client? personal?

xsenos
07-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Guess what, I'm looking for a matte painting plug-in that would get me a job at Weta Digital. I know it's better to do matte painting yourself but maybe there's a plug-in for that? Anybody? I'm really desperate here.

Buddha20
07-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Now where is that roll eyes icon.. :rolleyes:

I knew i would get posts like this.

The reason i need it is because i'm about as artistic as a retarded donkey and need a logo for my site that is a university project. I dont have money to hire a designer or the time to follow a tutorial and was looking for a quick fix.

I ended up just using some of photoshops default text styles, good enough for what i need it for.

And no need to be so sensitive about software replacing your jobs :p

little5points
07-07-2006, 02:28 PM
It's just a knee-jerk reaction because so many want filters or brushes that give instant results with no real work.

If you're just looking for type effects, you can probably find a ton of actions out there for chrome type, etc.

There's also a program called TypeStyler but I don't think it's free

Buddha20
07-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Yeah i know, and some people just want to get things done and they dont care how.

Artist vs Businessman

Different worlds and all that.

Cheers

Whipyo
07-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Why dont you post some example logos and perhaps we can give you some pointers on technique.

sonictk
07-11-2006, 03:32 PM
It would have taken you all of 10 seconds to Google logo tutorials, and another few seconds to follow it.

But wait, I forgot, you probably couldn't be bothered. But you could be bothered to spend a minute registering, another minute validating, and yet another minute typing out your posts and replies on this forum.

:)

Buddha20
07-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Take 2 :rolleyes:

corebee
07-11-2006, 07:45 PM
If you are looking to put an effect to your type... you can try the warp tools in Illustrator and Photoshop, they can give you a good starting point. Just type out your text in PS or AI and look on your options palette in either program for a little icon that has a "T" with a little arched line under it, it's to the right of the text align features. There are some preset text warping tools in there that might help out. These are basically the same features that came with the program Typetwister, as I read someone mentioned.

You can also find some better preset layer styles than the stock ones that come with PS on the Adobe Exchange site, which are completely free. You just need to create and account, which is also free.

If you are looking to make a logo that has a "branded" or iconic look to it, you're on your own there. I could go more in to detail about that but I will stop until I know exactly what you're trying to do.

Buddha20
07-12-2006, 03:10 AM
Cool,

Thanks for that i'll give it a try.

Basically i am doing a web development unit at uni and throughout the course i have to design about 5-6 different sites with different technology and they will all need some basic graphics and a logo. I got all the graphics of the web but i stil needed personalized logos.

I figured if i just had a cool plugin i could whip off a few whenever i need them. The sites wont ever go puplic but just have to look good enough for the marker.

I couldn't care less about the artistic side of things and was looking for a quick fix, afterall, this is a programming unit in a computer science degree so graphics have little importance to my grade.

As for the annoying idiots that keep giving non artists crap about using quick plugins, you have to realize that not every graphic in existence has to be the next mona lisa. Some people are practical and have better things to do. Plugins aren't about laziness, they are about quick fix, practical solutions.

I dont believe i have to explain myself eveytime one of these graphic weirdos gives me crap about something.

The computer scientists that make this software are the real artists :p

Go plugins! :p

corebee
07-12-2006, 03:52 AM
:) good luck brother

little5points
07-15-2006, 06:27 PM
No problem, Buddha...I don't always have time to do research and experimentation when I have actual work to do, so I look to forums for quick answers. Some people are willing to help, some aren't and some would rather take the time to criticize.

If your opening post had the thourough explanation that you posted last, you might have warded off some of the unwanted comments. But you probably didn't expect the negativity you received.

good luck on your project

m|3
07-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Remember a logo can be text alone as well .... see Microsoft, Dell, Fuji, Canon and tons more as examples. So there's no need to put the "bling" factor in as the kids these days say...

And while we're on the subject of requesting 1 click impossible to have items... I'd like a plug-in that makes my clients relinquish all final design decisions to me...have projects with unlimited budgets and pay their bills on time.

kraal
07-15-2006, 11:28 PM
buddah 20 get a good set of clip art they are cheap and usally have some type of text and logo section and any other art you may need

Buddha20
07-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks guys,

I have finishe the logos.

When you think about it, photoshop itself is just a whole heap of plugins rolled into one. Some features of the latest photoshop were mere plugins in previous versions so i don't know why some people get so gay about plugins.

The software does most of the work for you.

Ian Jones
07-16-2006, 07:40 AM

You gotta be shitting me. I ignored your comments earlier, but this is just infuriating.

Buddha20
07-16-2006, 08:43 AM
haha,

my teacher asked me if i had my logos designed professionaly.

I said nah, photoshop done it for me :p

lol

atdesign
07-16-2006, 09:44 AM

Wow... I have had it wrong for all these years, I always used software as a tool to create. You make it sound so easy.

Buddha20
07-16-2006, 10:16 AM
And it keeps going and going...

Its just a 2 bit logo guys, hardly requires picaso.

Googles logo could have been made in 2 mins by a 3 year old with photoshop.

Yes, photoshop is a tool that requires supreme, ultimate artistic talent to get good results. That is obvious but for my purposes it is clear this is unneccasary and not requiring 20 million starving artists who can make uselss pretty pictures that helps no one.

I dont want to argue with you guys, but the impression you give us non artists is this snivelling, grumpy elitist attitude that we cant be bothered with.

Ian Jones
07-16-2006, 12:42 PM
So rack off.

Buddha20
07-16-2006, 01:47 PM
oh boo hoo

avinashlobo
07-17-2006, 05:26 AM
This is so funny from the fence... :applause:

Buddha20
07-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Its even funnier in my position :p

BoBoZoBo
07-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Well think of it this way Bu...

What is one of us came to you as a programmer and asked if you had a plugin that would make a website and crosslink it to my home database at the click of a button.

Its just 1s and 0s to me.. make it work.

BTW - I have a great plugin that DOES make excellent artistic logos.

However, its only available on my website.
You just go to the CONTACT page and submit a text and image description of what you want a few days later the plugin sends you back some images of your reququired logo with the parameters requested. This is a proprietary technology and I charge $80/hr for rendering time.

CodeNothing
07-17-2006, 11:58 PM
a Logo is not an 'artistic' thing realy. It can be, but the concept of a Logo is not to be a piece of art. Its an identity. and usualy the more 'artistic' they are the less effective they are.

A good logo needs to be a well thought out system that portrays your product, or company. It should say something about it. FEDEX for example has an arrow in the negative space of the X because they are about moving freight fast. No plug-in in photoshop could possibly know to do that.

But as you are probably just looking for probably just anything acceptible to put on these projects, i suggest downloading some free fonts, and just using type with some simple graphic shapes behind the text. Just look at other simple logos. If theres no money for a graphic artist, dont spend too much time trying to fake it if you dont know what your doing. just remember, LESS IS MORE! simple type will do.

suztv
07-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Have you tried the Action Exchange? If all you are looking for is a style or simple text wave or whatever - use actions or styles that people have already made.

http://share.studio.adobe.com/

There is a search function there that can help you look for a particular style or action.

Also there are a lot of sites out there that have ready made logos for cheap. Or they will design one for you. Do a google search for business logos or logo template and you will see what I mean.

here is an example: http://www.templateartist.net/logos.html

Other than that I would suggest either finding a designer friend who can help you with design (for free or barter) or hire someone who has experience with designing logos. Nothing takes the place of a creative individual who has experience and is just as interested in your design as you are. I know - roll your eyes.

Buddha20
07-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Nothing to roll my eyes at there, that is pretty much what i was looking for in the first place before all the ridicule.

Cheers

xsenos
07-18-2006, 05:27 PM
an arrow in the negative space of the XGood lord, do you mean 'an arrow pointing left'? :)

LoopTheLoop
08-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Try www.thelogocreator.com . It's not photoshop and I don't have any sarcasm to offer. Hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2006, 10:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.