Very cool concept
Wish i made it :(

GEO
01-16-2003, 06:41 PM
:eek:

that site looks so cool

Shordy
01-17-2003, 10:35 AM
really nice artwork and flash effects. I love it ;)

i wish i got the source to see how it works.

Ian Jones
01-17-2003, 01:54 PM
wow! cool effect. Damn these codemonkeys, godamn bezier curve programming damnit. And the shading follows well too. I can see a bit of a glitch, pity... otherwise it would look seamless.

thx for the link!

knebbes
01-17-2003, 04:15 PM
no bezier curve programming, no code monkeys. the effect was made by http://www.derbauer.de , and they used digital fusion or something like that and then imported the effect as a frame-by frame animation into flash

pensart
01-17-2003, 09:37 PM
knebbes,

Yep that is the way it works...

fig
01-17-2003, 10:09 PM
at 376k its WAY smaller than their previous efforts ;) still on the big side imo, depends on your audience i suppose...

chris

samartin
01-20-2003, 09:34 AM
The site looks sweet BUT... on my machine at work cos' I run at 16 bit I can see problems big time with using PNG GFX... so all these buttons that open out, and on debauer's site do not look perfect...

Transparencies do not appear perfectly transparent, they kinda look a shade lighter than the background on which they r put on... As any1 else discovered this ???

Shordy
01-20-2003, 11:21 AM
thats right, i tested it at 16bit and i saw the shiny buttons :hmm:

samartin
01-20-2003, 11:24 AM
I have had a few problems with using the PNG method, the only way around it is 2 break the bitmap and using the lasso tool go around the supposedly transparent area and remove the alpha channel... not fun... :surprised

but if u use the PNG method on a white background then there's nothing 2 worry about :thumbsup:

01-22-2003, 07:29 AM
but its very good design

samartin
01-22-2003, 08:29 AM
wasn't denying it's good design, just thought I'd let people know that there are problems with flash within itself when u use these methods...

running at 32bit eliminates these issues...

but then if they did the whole sequence with vector GFX (native flash) themselves it would load a lot faster and achieve the same effect...

pensart
01-22-2003, 03:24 PM
comman u guy's, stoneage is passed !!
What use is there for all those nice tricks and technologys when u always have to make your site usefull for the 56K modem users with 16bit gfx cards.

I myself use a mac and there are a lot of sites i can't visit, well, u dont here me complaining ;)

samartin
01-22-2003, 03:35 PM
I am with ya there but alot of people do need 2 know certain issues such as this... if some1 was told they had 2 run the courseware or wotever on a certain spec machine then these r definitely issues 2 take in2 consideration...

And I do believe that animation of the button opening out could just have easily been done within flash itself... therefore being very resourceful compared 2 wot it is now...

But enuff' of that, yeah can't wait until broadband is the defacto standard CD-ROM based software could b live over the internet with a great amount of interaction... Bring it on !!!

milan3243
01-23-2003, 02:33 AM
cool butter^I Like it~

piajartist
01-23-2003, 06:28 AM
Giddyup, love it!:beer:

KingMob
01-23-2003, 06:34 PM
site rocks no doubt about that..tho the brushed metal is sorta getting old with those guys hehe.

And I agree stone age is passed...sorta.

But as web-developers you have to sorta time travel and figure out what will work on computers from years past/future. Results vary adn I think these guys know there stuff and have weighed the consequences most likely.

I have doen sites for people in that target range and they have decent machines in general, so I am sure very few people see any problems, and those that do probably are used to having problems while they surf. (which sucks I agree)

Sometimes you gotta draw a line in the sand tho :)

Ian Jones
01-25-2003, 04:59 AM
knebbes: ahh, ok... I'm not so impressed now. I thought they would have programmed that. Importing frames is far easier of course. :)

The fact that they used the same concept for the buttons as they have on their homepage is a bit disappointing... you'd think they may try and go in some new directions with it. Even if they had chosen a shape that wasn't round, it would be a bit more interesting.

Still... very groovy!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.