PDA

View Full Version : Collaborative team project forum has a project of it's own.

unLevel
01-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Ok, it seems that:

Originally posted by Kirt
I've been there many times and still think it's a good idea. Give it some time and it'll develop into something great. I remember the 2D forum started off kind of weak but it's holding it's own now.

You just need a few really great projects or mini-challenge type things to get the interest started. A Mod isn't going to make or break the forum, it's up to the users to develop that community.

So, as you can see, it's up to the users (us) to develop this community.

So, this is the NON-OFFICIAL thread for asking what do you guys want to do to bring this forum the high esteem that it so rightly deserves..

We need something short, that can be done while there's still interest, and it has to be really high quality, to show what can be done with motivated artists working together...

dynafx
01-16-2003, 05:47 PM
as a member, i expect is team work and i can deliver the product, i need is stories, character designs, if somebody models ,fine, i can make it lively and give life to. anyhow its a welcome initiative:applause:

unLevel
01-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Ok, so you're the animator, right?

Or modeler?

I've been using the zbrush demo, but it won't let me export the models I make, but I can get a screenshot of some ideas I can quickly model out...

Ok, here's my idea : (feel free to change any part of it at will) an army of projecteers, kinda like a group of us that hang out at the collab forum, let's make us all part of one race, a warring race, if you want...

So...we need some ideas for what kind of creature race we'd like to do.
My thoughts were if we make one really good character, use that character as a prototype for the leader, and make a whole race based on that creature...we could make females, old and young, and little children...

We could make so many types of this race, and we each pic out one of the models in the race to us as our avatar, sort of create a team projecteers thing?

So people will know from our avatars "hey, he's one of them collaborative project forum guys" or somethign...

dynafx
01-16-2003, 06:06 PM
giving screen shots is enough for modelling, i can modell too( when required), basically an animator but handle from modelling till rendering, i use maya , even if its xsi, its fine,

thatz a nice concept, which i've been thinking for a long time, but only a team can do, than an individual, even i've been talking to my fellow artists regarding that, and i have a suggestion in that, instead of making realistinc females/ childrens, we can make it bit like alien types mixed with cartoon type, may be tmrw i can come out with ideas regarding that, and i've invited a modeller, spoke about this, may be he'll join in a day here in this forum, hope this catches up,

y not we invite other guys too here :thumbsup:

unLevel
01-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Ok, why don't we don't we do this?

Let's post a poll for this week to decide what the mascot should look like?

Sound good?

Let's give everyone today to think of some ideas, I'll post the poll tomorrow...

How does that sound?

dynafx
01-16-2003, 06:19 PM
poll, sounds great
lets wait for one more day, and hope many fellow artists joins us,:beer: ,everybody works insane in production, i'm already in office for more than 12hrs, and after going home got to do self projects, its all in initiative :thumbsup:

go ahead unlevel:airguitar

unLevel
01-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Go ahead?

tomorrow, my friend, tomorrow....

once we have a good vote, say by next week sometime, we can start concept designs and modeling...

Then we'll texture it and have you animate, ok?

In my opinion, it would be best if we have different people do each part, so that it really is a team project...

Hey, we could have our own little series of animations with this character down here, who knows?

Plus, there's a few key contributers to this forum who'd I'd like their input, namely Flog and a few others...

Just be patient...

dynafx
01-16-2003, 06:30 PM
as u suggested, lets have more discussions bout concept designs, and related issues , then we can choose related, possible, realistic task,,till then wait for the poll result,
once again i :applause: for the effort taken

unLevel
01-16-2003, 06:31 PM
I think I'll go ahead and post the poll, I just wanted to hear some more ideas of what the "mascot" could be..

JaimeL
01-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Hello unLevel,

you wrote:
"I've been using the zbrush demo, but it won't let me export"

You can download an Obj file (from the demo download page).
:p

dynafx
01-16-2003, 11:31 PM
can zbrush exports as obj, then we can import into maya, think dat solves lots of problems
thanx for the help

JaimeL
01-17-2003, 12:03 AM
-dynafx.
Yes zbrush uses DXF and OBJ. The demo does not allow import/export. However, if you visit the download page (www.zbrush.com) there is an Obj (geometry and texture) you can download.
;)

unLevel
01-17-2003, 12:54 AM
Why would I go download a Obj file?

I can make my own stuff, I just can only save them as zbrush documents instead of exporting.

You seem ot know about this problem, by any chance do you use zbrush?

Flog
01-17-2003, 05:11 AM
sounds good, maybe we should post this in the general as well to get people more familiar with the collab forum

Like the Poll I took many people don't know this place exists. I'm going to general now and posting

keysersoze
01-17-2003, 07:07 AM
I don't quite understand what you're trying to do here. Are you trying to rally the community to get a community-wide project started? What kind of project are you talking about?

unLevel
01-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Yes, *rally, rally* we're trying to rally the community (the small group down here) to make a project, a small but eye-candy one, so we can put a screenshot on it to the front page of cgtalk, and hopefully get some more exposure that this forum exists.

One project that i started was to make this forum and UNOFFICAIL mascot, and Co Labs is going to make a website "home" for that mascot, along with info about this forum...possibly, the people who hang out here a lot (Flog, and a few others) could maybe run this site, keeping it updated with info about projects down here?

I hope to eventually get Co Labs to work with this forum, though Co Labs isn't fully developed yet, and I can't discuss that project any further sadly...

Kirt
01-18-2003, 02:36 AM
See ... I come in here every now and then. :D

I just haven't had the time to get involved with anything at the moment. I do have a completed storyboard for a short humorous sci-fi film that I've been wanting to work on some more. But, I don't really do much 3D work these days (so I'd need lots of help if I wanted it completed anytime soon). If anyone is interested in this type of colab PM me and I'll find some space to upload the images.

I think what you're doing here is great unLevel. Keep at it and I'm sure the forum will do just fine. It may take awhile to hit those post numbers that some of the other forums currently have. Take a look at the Flash forum (which is also new), you'll see that you're not alone in the CGTalk 'low post' list.

:thumbsup:

unLevel
01-18-2003, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Kirt, but I'm not the only one wanting to get this thing up and running...

I've actually been away working on Co Labs, and all the while Flog has been posting away here, keeping spirits up.

btw, check your pm...

I Just finished d/l the Maya personal Learning Edition (all legal here...)

So I don't think I can help with the 3d stuff right now, as I'm a pre-newb....

dynafx
01-18-2003, 06:32 AM
kirt
i'm a 3danimator,using maya for more than 3yrs, i'd like to help you
let's all work together to get this up

unLevel
01-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Wait, wait, what about the mascot?

Can we do Kirt's project AFTER the mascot?
I don't think it will take too long to do.

please...

Kirt, if you want to go ahead and post what you got, I'm sure with your reputation they'd be flocking to help you.

dynafx
01-18-2003, 07:17 PM
hey, unlevell
i didnt mean we're not doing mascot, according to polls,i've started thinking about character designs, still i y not we think about kirts projects,bcoz,he'z done the entire 2d and we can discuss it about with him
dont worry,i can handle both,apart from my studio timings, and finish the projects
hey its all about will power, and dedication

unLevel
01-18-2003, 07:27 PM
alright, Kirk, hurry up and post your idea!!

We wanna see!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.