PDA

View Full Version : Geforce2 (softquadro) or oxygen GVX1?

philipchild
01-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Hi
I am using a daul PIII pc with 1 gig of ram and a 3dlabs oxygen vx1-16 gfx card. this card is a little old and slow now so i recently upgraded to a geforce 4 Ti4600 but I found that I really wasn't getting the performance benifit I expected from the GF4, in fact in maya (my only use for the card) the GF4 ran at pretty much the same speed as a GF3. and softquadro made no difference either. So the bottleneck on my system must be teh proccesors and memory. that being the case I returned teh geforce4 and am now looking for another card. my question is this:

should I be looking at getting a slightly older high end card second hand rather than a new games level card? what card would rely less of CPU usage?

Which is better for my system an oxygen GVX-1 (for 40!) or a Geforce 2 with softquadro? I am just interested in using with maya.

Also I have seen a few wildcat (1 and 2s) on ebay. is an old wildcat worth looking at?

I am happy to spend 100-300 on a card that will give decent performance but have been weary of gaming cards.

any help would be much apreciated.

GregHess
01-16-2003, 03:26 PM
The Geforce 3 and 4 kick the living snot outta the VX1 and GVX1. (At least in Max).

elvis
01-16-2003, 11:09 PM
agreed. keep your card and upgrade your system instead.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.