PDA

View Full Version : Gnomon releases 2 new DVDs (Character Creation)

PaulAdams
07-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Character Modeling Techniques: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/ijo01.html

Character Texturing Techniques: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/ijo02.html

If you've been looking forward to these as much as me, then rejoice. Both by Blur Studios, Ian Joyner (that in itself sells it to me). Although I'm a Maya user, I expect these will still be useful for workflow and overall technique.

mech7
07-06-2006, 12:41 PM
:applause:Nice now save up some money to buy them.. i love the gnomon dvds but there frikking expensive especially with shipping cost.

AdamantiumKnot
07-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Ordered both last night. I was bummed when it went from June 28th to July 5th. But, all is well now.

It's nice to see training dvd's for max surfacing.

simps
07-06-2006, 01:35 PM
They are rather expensive but they look great. I really want to get these.

neonneo
07-06-2006, 06:43 PM
OMGosHH, im soo getting these!

SheepFactory
07-07-2006, 02:23 AM
Wooot dvd's from our very own king mob! congrats Ian , cant wait to check those out man.

erilaz
07-07-2006, 02:26 AM
It's nice to see training dvd's for max surfacing.

Hell yeah! :D

And it's Kingmob, so you KNOW it's going to be good!

FloydBishop
07-07-2006, 02:39 AM
Ian's a great guy, and very talented artist. We'll be picking these up.

Moy
07-07-2006, 06:16 AM
hi, i am a Maya User, do you think this could work in the maya workflow, this DVD`s look really good i hope i could apply all to maya.

Please if someone could give a personal review i would appreciate.
thank you

Wizdoc
07-07-2006, 01:20 PM
After wading through numerous tutorials and reading articles about it, character modeling (and texturing) is still a big mystery to me.

I'm glad that there's now a comprehensive DVD on the subject. Gnomon's environment modeling & lighting DVDs (also from the guys at Blur) were top notch, so I'm definitely looking forward to these.

KingMob
07-07-2006, 05:40 PM
hi, i am a Maya User, do you think this could work in the maya workflow, this DVD`s look really good i hope i could apply all to maya.

thank you

They are definetly Max centric, but I see no reason the ideas and techniques can't apply to every application. Would love to hear what people thought about them as well.

Thanks everyone for the support!

-Ian

Rebeccak
07-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Congrats, Ian! Very cool! :thumbsup:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

simps
07-07-2006, 05:52 PM

thank you

Gnomon has plenty of Maya centric DVDs if you want to know the Maya workflow.

MrPositive
07-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Gnomon has plenty of Maya centric DVDs if you want to know the Maya workflow.

Yes but not this extensive or up to date. As well I don't remember anything on texturing or lighting the character either. It'll be interesting to see how well it translates to Maya.

Laa-Yosh
07-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Funny to have a voice now behind the nickname. Looks cool, Ian... is PolyBoost that good?

CGmonkey
07-08-2006, 12:23 PM
You have such a sexy voice <3

haha looking forward to it, even though.. I don't find any in depth trade secret. Would love to see a gnomon dvd with character creation without 100% organic material.

Squash-n-Stretch
07-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Is Polyboost a free plug-in?

scorpion007
07-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Is Polyboost a free plug-in?

Nope, but you can get it from http://www.polyboost.com/

KingMob
07-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Ian... is PolyBoost that good?

Yeah it really is. Tho I focus on a lot of stuff you can do in polyboost, Max has ways to do nearly everything as well, and I am sure maya and xsi do to.

The reason I like polyboost so much is it puts everything I enjoy modeling wise in one easy to use package. Plus it just simplifies a lot of things like retopologizing meshes,cutting(I have alwasy hated Max's default cut tool), some UV editing stuff and awesome methods for selecting things.

But just because I use it a lot on these dvd's doesnt mean that if you don't have the plugin you would be lost. I tried to switch it up a lot and show a variety of ways to do everything. Sometimes simple Max methods work best, sometimes the plugin helps.

The good news is the demo is free, and the plugin is cheap!

Hope you guys enjoy the DVD's if you pick them up :thumbsup:

Laa-Yosh
07-10-2006, 06:11 PM
I'll probably look into it then... The thing is, I've become so used to max, I can't really do any significant modeling in anything else at all. So I'm a bit afraid that I'd start to rely on Polyboost as well to the point that I couldn't get into any other app - but I'm already at this point, so no need to worry about it by now :)

KingMob
07-11-2006, 05:49 PM
I'll probably look into it then... The thing is, I've become so used to max, I can't really do any significant modeling in anything else at all. So I'm a bit afraid that I'd start to rely on Polyboost as well to the point that I couldn't get into any other app - but I'm already at this point, so no need to worry about it by now :)

Yeah I wouldn't worry about that, I think you will find that it is more you might think "boy I could do this pretty fast with polyboost". If you are already sold on Max, you are doing yourself a disservice to not get that plugin ;) I would be surprised if the Autodesk folks arent beating down the doors to get polyboost intigrated into the next release.

I think most apps are going the way of more intuitive modeling methods these days tho, so I think the ideas apply to almost any recent modeling application.

neonneo
07-11-2006, 08:08 PM
sweet dvds ian, plz make more

also convince sze jones to make modeling dvds plz :D

KingMob
07-11-2006, 08:32 PM
sweet dvds ian, plz make more

also convince sze jones to make modeling dvds plz :D

I would love to make another one once I have a little down time again.

Something tells me I won't have to try to hard to convince her ;)

PaulAdams
07-11-2006, 09:28 PM
After checking out Polyboost off the back of these titles, oh man... heres hoping that Alias acquisition lets us Maya guys access tools like that.

I'm just about to order these (dear customs, do not touch). I'm so curious to see how differently my methods of working are to such a pros - this is were Gnomon really excel IMO, not in specific 'How To' training but getting seasoned professionals to share workflow/techniques.

Here's hoping for more titles from those Blur folk.

simps
07-12-2006, 03:25 AM
I'm waiting for my order to arrive sometime this week! I'm glad Gnomon is FINALLY doing Max stuff.

AdamantiumKnot
07-12-2006, 03:44 AM
They're supposed to arrive tomorrow!

I also have a bunch of other things coming in tomorrow that I ordered. Should be a good day. I'm also currently playing x-men: legends II for the second time because my niece is hooked on it. lol

KingMob
07-12-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm also currently playing x-men: legends II for the second time because my niece is hooked on it. lol

Sweet! hope you like the cinematics in that one! They sure were fun to work on.

cshanks
07-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Anyone know of any similar vids for Maya?

AdamantiumKnot
07-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Sweet! hope you like the cinematics in that one! They sure were fun to work on.

Indeed! Like a good uncle, I have my 12 year old niece hooked on X-men and Spider-Man. DVD's arrived this afternoon, I'll be going through them this weekend, hopefully.

meats
07-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Congratulations on the new DVD! It looks great :)

Strang
07-13-2006, 09:39 PM
i recieved the 2 DVDs yesterday... i just finished the 2nd one. The texturing DVD was what i was most interested in. I have learned a lot of cool techniques from this DVD and am very very happy with the purchase... i do not use Max and found very useful, concepts and techniques are transferable to most applications

hats off to Ian. thanks for taking the time to do this. another DVD would be very welcome in my gnomon collection.

@Ian,

the inflate trick was jaw dropping... thanks so much

FabioMSilva
07-13-2006, 09:45 PM
myne just shipped:bounce: oh boy i can't wait

KingMob
07-13-2006, 09:55 PM
FabioMSilva:
Woohoo hope you enjoy them!

Strang:
Thats really great to hear, I am sso glad you liked it!

meats:
Thanks man, means a lot coming from you!

AdamantiumKnot:
Always better to get your kids hooked on comics and video games then...umm..drugs.

cshanks:
Most the stuff in these dvds should apply just fine to maya, just need to know how to do similar moves. I can't say they will carry over exactly tho. I do know Gnomon has a lot of Maya disks as well!

Thanks for the comments guys!

cshanks
07-13-2006, 09:59 PM
As long as the techniques translate, I think I'd be able to get figure it out. Thanks for the response.

mech7
07-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Yes this has me worried also a bit.. im kinda scared that off ordering that i will be dissapointed that the workflow is very different in max then maya.. as it it still quite a bit off money for me to order :)

cshanks:
Most the stuff in these dvds should apply just fine to maya, just need to know how to do similar moves. I can't say they will carry over exactly tho. I do know Gnomon has a lot of Maya disks as well!

phantomworkshop
07-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Yes this has me worried also a bit.. im kinda scared that off ordering that i will be dissapointed that the workflow is very different in max then maya.. as it it still quite a bit off money for me to order :)

Don't worry so much about transfering over. For one, if you know your application (in this case, Maya) inside and out, the techniques and basic principles can be done in any application. And 2nd, if you run into any trouble you can shoot Ian a private message, or ask in the Autodesk Maya Forums. I'm sure I can help as well with migrating if need be. Good luck!

KingMob
07-15-2006, 12:05 AM
...And 2nd, if you run into any trouble you can shoot Ian a private message

Yeah if anyone has any questions feel free to let me know if I can help.

-Ian

neonneo
07-15-2006, 07:31 AM
I would love to make another one once I have a little down time again.

Something tells me I won't have to try to hard to convince her ;)

:eek: :eek:

i should start a petition for sze jones dvds ! :D

Rivendale
07-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi Ian, great to see that the dvd's are finally out! Big thanks for using PolyBoost in the videos, I will check them out as soon as possible. There is not many tutorials around for using PolyBoost so I will direct users to your dvd's. I have also put up some links on the PolyBoost site.

cheers!
CML

polytician
07-17-2006, 05:08 AM
Hello Ian,

I love your work and am very interested in your DVDs also. I have a question. Does the character modeling DVD go from start to finish, step by step on how to model a character or do you mostly show techniques on how you achieve your characters. Same question for the texturing DVD. Have a great day.

Thank you

KingMob
07-23-2006, 03:40 AM
Hi Ian, great to see that the dvd's are finally out! Big thanks for using PolyBoost in the videos, I will check them out as soon as possible. There is not many tutorials around for using PolyBoost so I will direct users to your dvd's. I have also put up some links on the PolyBoost site.

cheers!
CML

(sorry for the delay in reply, I just got back from vacation)Wow, Sweet thanks for the links! Hope the dvds help other people pick up your kick ass plugin quicker!

Hello Ian,

I love your work and am very interested in your DVDs also. I have a question. Does the character modeling DVD go from start to finish, step by step on how to model a character or do you mostly show techniques on how you achieve your characters. Same question for the texturing DVD. Have a great day.

Thank you

Yeah it takes it from start to finish, but I fade in and out and speed up some areas because I didn't want to be to 'hand hold' to much it primarily shows the pipeline of modeling/texturing and adding hair/rig to a character. I try to explain a few tricks and step by steps as well as show the overall scope... hope it worked out, be sure to elt me know what you think if you pick them up~!

-Ian

polytician
07-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Thank you for the reply Ian. I will check them out and let you know what i think.

AdamantiumKnot
07-25-2006, 02:19 AM
wow, my time has been completely monopolized lately! I just browsed through most of the modeling dvd but I haven't had a chance to actually sit down with it.

It looks great! Your workflow is really efficient and polyboost looks like it's very handy. My biggest concern when I sit down and try to do this is getting as many polys into quads on the head as possible in some of the more tight areas. I think I'm sold on zbrush as well, now.

Ian, have you played with the paint deform feature in max at all? Do you have any opinions on it? Seems like a primitive version of zbrush, for the most part, but like it's good for just massing certain spots.

I still have yet to pop in the texturing dvd. But, the first one has me really excited about it!

neonneo
07-25-2006, 03:30 AM
omigosh even more dvds from blur!

http://thegnomonworkshop.com/comingsoon.html

im giddy like a schoolgirl already!

marc001
07-25-2006, 05:15 AM
I was sold on those character renderings.
I just ordered both the modeling and texturing DVDs.

mlanser
07-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Ian, those dvds are so exactly what i was searching for. I know some basics in character modeling and Rigging, but i'm not quite familiar with the whole Process of Creating a Character from Scratch to the final Result. This is definitely Completing my Collection about Character Creation.

Thanks man!

MrPositive
07-25-2006, 05:22 PM

There are going to be some dead broke people......that can model and texture. hahaha

AdamantiumKnot
07-25-2006, 06:44 PM
There are going to be some dead broke people......that can model and texture. hahaha

hahaha good one!

neonneo
07-25-2006, 07:37 PM
jajajajjajaja

AdamHerbert
07-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Just ordered them today and can't wait to get my hands on em!(Still didn't pay the 20 bucks for 2 day s&h though!)

Those creature DVD's look fatastic too!

ryders
07-25-2006, 11:54 PM
I'll buy any dvd's you and your homey's at blur will make... those were not only really helpful, but gave me some idea of how long it should take to do the production on this stuff. Now, if I could only work at fast forward speed, then I'd be gettin somewhere ;)

IAN Thanks!

-ryders

PaulAdams
07-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Out of curiosity, has anyone outside of the US received these yet? Mine were dispatched 10 days ago with global express 3-7 day shipping. Tracking suggests they've yet to even leave the US.

USPS, you rule.

hardrock
07-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Out of curiosity, has anyone outside of the US received these yet? Mine were dispatched 10 days ago with global express 3-7 day shipping. Tracking suggests they've yet to even leave the US.

USPS, you rule.

Ordered mine last thursday. Received them today. I'm in the UK
So I guess you should have got yours by now. Hope you get them soon.

KingMob
07-26-2006, 06:03 PM
I'll buy any dvd's you and your homey's at blur will make... those were not only really helpful, but gave me some idea of how long it should take to do the production on this stuff. Now, if I could only work at fast forward speed, then I'd be gettin somewhere ;)

IAN Thanks!

-ryders

Well, you are in luck. A few more people here are doing DVD's as well, which look totally fantastic. I agree about workign in fast forward speed...that would be pretty slick.

Thanks everyone for the replies/emails!

neonneo
07-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Thats it,the blur dvds will be the pinnacle of gnomon, no dvds afterward shall surpass. Best dvds evar!

MrPositive
07-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Thats it,the blur dvds will be the pinnacle of gnomon, no dvds afterward shall surpass. Best dvds evar!

Unless ILM does a making of Davy Jones (or similar creature) series of DVD's. How much would you pay for that?

neonneo
07-27-2006, 04:42 AM
maybe if it was the KRAKEN!, but i didnt find davy jones that impressive.

ashrafazlan
07-27-2006, 06:08 AM

ouch..do they really need to separate it out into multiple dvd's? :scream:

ryders
07-27-2006, 06:55 AM
>>>ouch..do they really need to separate it out into multiple dvd's?<<<

Yeah, they kinda do. Each dvd gets the model to a certain point, and this isn't walmart video training... the people that make the vids actually get some cash for it, which in turn hopefully convinces other professionals to create well scripted videos on other subjects. It's a win/win solution, and it's less expensive than a college course... especially an Art Center course.

I dunno, the dvd's knocked about 2 months of crash testing out of the equation for me, I think that's worth a couple hours worth of pay. Yeah, you can find methods for doing this piece on this forum, and that piece on this site... and read through the "zbrush -> max" guide. But seeing it done... just helps it all sink in, and having the whole pipeline laid out for you is just... enlightening.

blur animation dvd's?

dynamics dvd's?

panthon
07-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi Ian! :bounce:

We' ve recently purchased both of your titles and i find them amazing! I must congratulate you on the work you've done! After seeing your videos we're considering taking a look at polyboost! :)
I am amazed about how you can model without having the reference images in the background, maybe that's the result of years of hard work at blur :)
Even if it's slightly accelerated, watching you model with that speed, skill and expertise is astonishing.
I surely hope ull be doing more titles in the future, especially regarding 3dsmax and zbrush, which was a combo not very well covered in the training dvds market. And not to dismiss bodypaint, a killer app which seems to have been forgotten lately with the arrival of zbrush.

I have rushed through the first title, but ill spend some summer time watching them extensively, because i know u slip some little tricks here and there which might be missed if not watched carefully.

Overall, excellent work! :thumbsup:

ashrafazlan
07-27-2006, 09:06 AM
>>>ouch..do they really need to separate it out into multiple dvd's?<<<

Yeah, they kinda do. Each dvd gets the model to a certain point, and this isn't walmart video training... the people that make the vids actually get some cash for it, which in turn hopefully convinces other professionals to create well scripted videos on other subjects. It's a win/win solution, and it's less expensive than a college course... especially an Art Center course.

I dunno, the dvd's knocked about 2 months of crash testing out of the equation for me, I think that's worth a couple hours worth of pay. Yeah, you can find methods for doing this piece on this forum, and that piece on this site... and read through the "zbrush -> max" guide. But seeing it done... just helps it all sink in, and having the whole pipeline laid out for you is just... enlightening.

blur animation dvd's?

dynamics dvd's?

haha, relax..I only meant it as a joke, it's good that you can make that much for a couple of hours (wish I could :sad: ) :)

nossgrr
07-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi guys,

I just received my copy of Character modeling techniques for 3DSMAX/ZBrush and have to depart with it. Great DVD but It's too advanced for me.
It's in mint cond of course, viewed once.
you can reach me at: sebdee28(*a-)yahoo.ca
replace the (*a-) by @

Thanks, Noss

panthon
07-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi guys,

Great DVD but It's too advanced for me.

Yes, I agree it's not for beginners, but not because of the difficulty of following the DVD instructions, but due to the high quality of the result you are getting. Quality needs practice, and that's what you are not getting by only watching a dvd. You got the guidelines, maybe its time for some action! :D

mech7
07-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Does that price include shipping otherwise we have a deal :D

Hi guys,

I just received my copy of Character modeling techniques for 3DSMAX/ZBrush and have to depart with it. Great DVD but It's too advanced for me.
It's in mint cond of course, viewed once.
you can reach me at: sebdee28(*a-)yahoo.ca
replace the (*a-) by @

Thanks, Noss

IGhosTDoGI
07-28-2006, 03:51 PM
the 2 dvds are the first ones, being worth their money. i' ve seen a lot of conceptless and unmotivated produced dvds, but these 2 dvds were very helpful for my workflow.

i was always too lazy for retopo, now it only offers advantages, concerning time and productivity.

but one question: you are hardly using pelt mapping on your dvd. pelt mapping is crap for unwrapping heads. a cylindrical uv still works best, but othersites it works pretty good for the rest. old habits or why are you still using the "old" methods?

thx

greetz ghostdog

KingMob
07-28-2006, 05:27 PM
but one question: you are hardly using pelt mapping on your dvd. pelt mapping is crap for unwrapping heads. a cylindrical uv still works best, but othersites it works pretty good for the rest. old habits or why are you still using the "old" methods?

Well basically, I am a stubborn old man (trapped in a young mans body ;))

I actually just like doing plannar stitching with the relax of deepUV and Max8 now because it gets such prestine results. When I pelt map I always feel its harder for me to 'read' in photoshop or bodypaint, and sometimes have stretchy areas. This could be a result of me doing something wrong of course hehe.

But really I just can unwrap this way so fast now, a whole cahracter takes very little time with the methods I show, that I haven't really felt much need to use the pelt to much. I do use it occasionally tho, as some objects just work really nicely with it.

As for other Blur folks, I don't want to spill the beans before Gnomon(they would beat me) is ready to announce stuff, but there are some really awesome character ones coming out (including Laurent's,that is one talented guy) and stuff that goes into other areas as well. Definetly keep an eye on the Gnomon coming soon page!

Thanks to everyone for the comments/support and to nossgrr I am sorry the DVD's were a bit much for you, but like panthon mentioned it is really a workflow DVD for showing a bit of how we/I do things here at Blur while showing some usefull tricks along the way, I hope you got something out of it at any rate :)

Mahlon
07-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Ian,
Would you say that someone following along who doesn't own deepUV could translate what you do into use with max's unwrap tools?

Thanks
Mahlon

KingMob
07-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Ian,
Would you say that someone following along who doesn't own deepUV could translate what you do into use with max's unwrap tools?

Thanks
Mahlon

Yep. I use max 8's relax now more anyway. Some areas I still think Deep Uv shines for some reason but 99.5% of the time Max8 is perfect, and even when its not it doesnt take to much work to fix it.

cresshead
07-29-2006, 01:04 AM
I just received my copy of Character modeling techniques for 3DSMAX/ZBrush ..nice dvd

negatives:
i'm not much of a fan of the dvd flash interface though...dug in a got the quicktimes to look at
as i can get around them better..esp on my widescreen laptop wich cuts off the time bar if you use the u.i.

overall pretty good...wish you 'voiced as you went' rather than overdubbed lie that of splinegod's tutorials as they have more insight in them as you see him thinking the proccess thru rather than just a gloss voice of finished modeling...sorry to knock it down somewhat..
you dvd is nice and is very informative..you may want to show much more of your thought process in future dvd's.

more depth would be good..i know your not setting out for a hand holding video but some parts could be explained in more depth i feel as to 'WHY' this way and the pitfalls of other choices available.

positives:
final model is awesome
great to see you use polyboost and z brush in the pipeline
i'll be buying the texturing dvd as soon as i can.

cheers

steve g

JakeJK
07-29-2006, 01:50 AM
Hope you guys enjoy the DVD's if you pick them up :thumbsup:
I sure did.

Becoming a character modeller at blur is a future dream for me, so watching how a cinematic character is done the blur way was truly inspiring! Tons of good stuff on the DVDs.. I learned a lot. I got both the DVDs and that was the best purchase I have done for a long time!

You really did a great job, Ian! (I have been looking at people crouches ever since I saw them. \o/)

Moy
07-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Gnomon, I would like to see DVD`s like this for MAYA pleaseeee!

Nice work Ian! :D

neonneo
07-29-2006, 08:12 AM
I sure did.

Becoming a character modeller at blur is a future dream for me, so watching how a cinematic character is done the blur way was truly inspiring! Tons of good stuff on the DVDs.. I learned a lot. I got both the DVDs and that was the best purchase I have done for a long time!

You really did a great job, Ian! (I have been looking at people crouches ever since I saw them. \o/)

I too share this dream :D

Moy: you kids and your maya, the one time they make a dvd using max :p

PaulAdams
07-29-2006, 09:41 AM
It seems ironic that after starting the topic I'm the only one who hasn't received them yet. After speaking to USPS, and what must've been the slowest man on earth, he suggested they might be lost. Except they refuse to do anything unless Gnomon tell them to. Great.

Now if only Gnomon would answer my emails. I'm starting to think its a single empty room with a telephone.

neonneo
07-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Sorry to hear that Pauladams, I suggest complaining more, ranting at them and such. USPS has a large volume of mail to deliver, so their service is iffy. I didn't even knw they ship outside the N.America.

cresshead
07-29-2006, 07:31 PM
you should be able to track it's progress...i did from the usa over to the u.k...

at least you know where it's parked up!
you should have had a email with a tracking link...

hope it works out okay for you.

PaulAdams
07-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I have been tracking it since they shipped it. The problem is, the tracking information still says 'Accepted at 5:47 pm on July 18, 2006 in DALLAS, TX'. Which is why I phoned USPS themselves to ask whats going on, only to be fobbed off. The guy actually told me they could well be lost as there is no new info from the tracking, but told me there is nothing they can do without the senders request!

Shipping was $30 for 3-7 day, I certainly wasn't going to pay $70 for 2-3 day for a couple of DVD's. Not to drone on, but trying to get a responce from Gnomon has been impossible so far and I'm now out of pocket for $170. Gah.

(Downloadable DVD's are the future!) :D

3mm
07-29-2006, 10:53 PM
hi Ian

thank you for revealing some of Blur secrets(no the blur secrets not contain 7 dvd,2 from you,2

from Tim,and 3 dvds from luarent)i think the main reason for Blur successes are their

people ,hope to be a part of this successes some day.....

hey Ian call Paul Hormis or Carlos Anguiano fellow blur character TD's ,for some rigging dvd,

Daniel P Ferreira for effect dvd and the Blur pack may be completed......:thumbsup:

3mm
07-29-2006, 11:06 PM
just post twice

so i deleted the message and say thanks again Ian, and other crew at Blur.:scream:

neonneo
07-29-2006, 11:10 PM
and sze jones dvds, wooT :D

KingMob
07-31-2006, 05:53 PM
PaulAdams

that sucks man, I hope it gets resolved quick. I could call the people I know at gnomon(it is a big place) But i don't think they would have much ideas ont he tracking/shipping side of things.

If you don't get them soon(2-3 days) send me a pm and I will try and help. No promises tho.

and sze jones dvds, wooT :D

Lets just say if it wasn't for Sze, we wouldn't be doing these Blur Dvd :) Not to mention how she has spearheaded the very way our pipeline works. I can not say enough for how damn lucky we are to have her here. That is all I will say on that subject for now :)

3mm

and thank you for the kind words :)

And to everyone else thank you so much for the kind words/comments. This was my first time making anything like this and certainly a learnign experience for me as well. I really can't say how happy it makes me to hear that they are well received :)

Womball
07-31-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm considering getting the texturing dvd, however does it cover, how to make the different types of texture maps (spec, color, bump and more). Also how long did it take to make the character from modeling to texturing?

KingMob
07-31-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm considering getting the texturing dvd, however does it cover, how to make the different types of texture maps (spec, color, bump and more). Also how long did it take to make the character from modeling to texturing?

Texturing covers Color, Bump, Spec, Wetness and SS maps (for skin shader) hair maps for controlling length density of hair, and more. Oh and normal maps using aplugin for photoshop to convert color to normal, as well as zbrush(lots of zbrush in both dvds).

It uses both hand painted, photographs, photoshop stuff and more on making the maps

The whole character was close to ten to thirteen days. Tho i was doing it on my off hours at work and had to redo some parts so they made more sense for people watching. I was definetly working slower then if I was just trying to finish him fast.

If you pick them up I hope you like them :)

-Ian

Womball
07-31-2006, 06:20 PM
13 days! That's really fast! I really want to improve my texturing abilities, so I was probably going with the second one. You don't have to have deep paint and 3d studio max for it right? I'm pretty decent at unwrapping so that's not really an issue.

PaulAdams
08-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Well it only took a month (held for 19 days by US customs no less), but mine finally arrived. Better late than never I suppose.

Just finished digesting the modelling disc, pretty fantastic stuff Ian. Watching you work, you seem to get results effortlessly, particularly things that at first hand seem quite daunting (that jacket for instance) - really impressive the way you break it down.

I've got to use that re-toplogising workflow into my own stuff, here I was modelling wrinkles off the bat. Doh. I'm also green with envy at some of those Max and Polyboost tools, I feel like I'm years behind modelling in Maya. All in all, it was exactly what I was hoping for - workflow and technique over specific hand-holding modelling video. You definitely get your money's worth with the length too.

Time to eat up the texturing disc...

KingMob
08-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Womball

Naw, I use body paint but anything with 3d painting abilities should be fine(even zbrush with zapplink) As for max, I use it and deepuv to show some of the ways to get seamless UV's I hear maya/xsi have soem great uv tools to so I would bet 90-95% of it can be translated without to much trouble!

If you check it out let me know, I am just going on what a few people have told me thus far.

PaulAdams

Ah yes, quite the delay! Glad you liked 'em man!

I used to do the modeling wrinkles off the bat, and I know some people love doing it that way, but anytime I can 'sculpt' the idea before making it just helps...sort of like sketching something before painting it.

Glad you liked the first dvd, let me know how you feel about #2 as well!

thanks guys!
-Ian

John-Stetzer
08-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Enjoyed them myself; was good to see a different workflow than what I typically use.

Tonedef
08-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Ok, so I am seriously thinking about getting this (i.e.~cursor hovering over 'checkout') but I just want to make sure it will be good. I am really ready to take on character modeling, and I have been able to do some, but somethings stump me. I have very little problems learning from tutorials, once I see something I can do it. But I just want to make sure that this isn't for already advanced character modelers. I know that Ian already said he covers start to finish, but I didn't know what other take on this was. Complexity is not a problem for me, just getting the full package is all I would like. Does it go into detail about why somethings are done a certain way? Does it explain things that non-character modelers wouldn't know, like how to avoid common mistakes? That kind of stuff. :) Modeling guns is just getting so mundane, hehe.

Another thing to note is that this would be my first ever Gnomon tutorial, and from what I can tell they are good no matter what.

Thanks for any response! :)

KingMob
08-17-2006, 04:01 PM
See, I would feel a little bad just saying 'yes get them', so hopefully someone who has watched them can tell you how they feel.

Basically, I went about these to show the way I create a character at Blur, starting with basic tools and techniques, talking about topology, but I do not go into TO much detail about the basics, there are a ton of awesome resources already for that, and more on the way(maybe I will do one showing a little more step by step next time). These are already long dvds and definetly I talk about common pitfalls and workarounds and show ideas on how to build just about anything...even guns somewhat :)

I have gotten some amazing feedback from people from all stages in character modeling, from total newbies, to pros. Tho one guy posted here and said he was a little to new for what these covered.

If you do get them and have any questions feel free to pm me here, and I would love to know what you think of them.

Hopefully someone who has watched can give some insight into your specific question tho, as I am a little to close to the source to be totally objective :)

-Ian

Ok, so I am seriously thinking about getting this (i.e.~cursor hovering over 'checkout') but I just want to make sure it will be good. I am really ready to take on character modeling, and I have been able to do some, but somethings stump me. I have very little problems learning from tutorials, once I see something I can do it. But I just want to make sure that this isn't for already advanced character modelers. I know that Ian already said he covers start to finish, but I didn't know what other take on this was. Complexity is not a problem for me, just getting the full package is all I would like. Does it go into detail about why somethings are done a certain way? Does it explain things that non-character modelers wouldn't know, like how to avoid common mistakes? That kind of stuff. :) Modeling guns is just getting so mundane, hehe.

Another thing to note is that this would be my first ever Gnomon tutorial, and from what I can tell they are good no matter what.

Thanks for any response! :)

Tonedef
08-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Well, even though no one responded aside from yourself, I think I am still going to go for it. Being a college student I have to be sparring with my money (and a $6 is worthless) but this really looks to be and have everything I am itching to learn. The preview was very easy to understand and I think that it will be an invaluable asset to have...especially with how the game industry going.

So with that said, you are going to be getting that money :). And I will post feedback. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Probably going to have to wait to get the texturing one until next semester though, hehe.

cyborgkatana
08-20-2006, 03:35 AM
In the section on the texture mapping DVD on painting stitching, the brush does not need to be rotated manualy. Instead enable "direction" under shape dynamics - Angle jitter - Control, in order to paint the stitches in the direction of the brush stroke.

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/critique/brushangle.jpg

Womball
08-20-2006, 07:56 PM
I got the texturing dvd. I haven't watched it all, but it informative. I will see what i can take out of it and add to my workflow. I am going to send you a pm since I have some questions about your references.

KingMob
08-21-2006, 05:13 AM
Thanks man!

I actually used to use this when i did stuff with a mouse, but my old cintiq does not recognize direction, so I sort of starting doing it the way I showed.

Definetly good to know tho, saves a lot of pain in the butt rotating :)

-Ian

In the section on the texture mapping DVD on painting stitching, the brush does not need to be rotated manualy. Instead enable "direction" under shape dynamics - Angle jitter - Control, in order to paint the stitches in the direction of the brush stroke.

http://www.cyborgkatana.com/critique/brushangle.jpg

cyborgkatana
08-21-2006, 08:42 AM
my old cintiq does not recognize direction
Works fine with an Intuos.
If direction does not work, stroking a path with the brush does the job.

bisenberger
12-01-2006, 03:54 PM
The character modeling DVD is the best modeling training I have seen.

KingMob
12-01-2006, 05:45 PM
The character modeling DVD is the best modeling training I have seen.

Wow thanks man, I am really glad you liked them! I should borrow that quote for my website when I finally get it up ;)

If anyone gets a chance, I am presenting at the gnomon workshop live tomorow (Sat dec 2) And am going to cover some of the stuff on the DVD's as well as go over some mudbox stuff.

Hope to see some of you there!

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2006, 05:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.