PDA

View Full Version : Explosions, Particle effects, Destruction.

adityaprabhu
07-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey guys... i have a major question. Ive seen so many VFX demo reels here, so amazing. i aspire to be a professional vfx artist one day..
anways, Which software is the best for Particles, explosions, dynamics, etc to render realistic effects like Shattering glass in the "father and son" reel, or the building destruction in "skyfall" reel! or realistic smoke, etc etc in general for good vfx. (all credits to the respective artists, amazing mind blowing work there!)
I currently have 3Ds max, but looks like Maya is better at particles? i dont know! im so confused. Should i take up training for maya or 3ds max?
so many questions..im so confused.. pls help me people.
thanks!

muniraj
07-17-2006, 04:57 AM
aditya, I am also using max and find it fine .It can do what u want even For special effects .
furthermore use can after effects ,combustion and fusion for VFX and c.

And my final advice would be EXPERIMENT YOURSELF .IT MAKE WHOLE WORLD A TRANSPARENT AND CLEAR.

:thumbsup:

andy_maxman
07-18-2006, 05:17 AM
at whatever level...there have been some amazing effects done using Max....check their site for what movies where done using Max and you will be amazed. So in essence, you already have the tool, all you need now is direction.

I suggest you succour up with the help notes in Max with things related to effects...Get a hang of the terminologies and what relates to what. Start with a simple exercise. Choose your subject before hand - could be smoke, blast, explosion, dyanmics...then figure out what kind of effectors are used to create such an effect. Experiment a lot.

If you still find it frustrating, then join a local short-term training program for some basic directions and then go all for it.

Remember to use the 'help' feature a lot and grab as many tutorials you can from the internet.
:)

Hope this helps.

Headless
07-18-2006, 08:00 PM
For effects work in Max i'd suggest you check out the excellent Deconstructing the Elements (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/024052019X/sr=8-1/qid=1153248803/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-0792341-5887349?ie=UTF8), by Pete Draper. It has lots and lots of really well written tutorials on how to make things like candle flames, the flame from a gas stove, lava, stormy seas, rain droplets, procedural landscapes, cigarette smoke, fireworks, etc, all using the basic Max tools (no plugins required).

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.