PDA

View Full Version : fireGL9000 test

marco
01-16-2003, 09:09 AM
Hi all,

I'm going to buy a laptop for my 3d animation/modelling..
I'd like to have some information on fireGL9000
and the new compaq Evo n800w..

has anyone tested it yet??

I'm a maya user and I'd like to know if this card is the right
choice for my work!!

luxojr
01-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi Marco,

I've got an experience with a high-end IBM Thinkpad A31p equipped with a FireGL 7800. The results were the worst i've ever seen and now i'm writing to you with a Dell M50.

FireGL 7800 really sucks and also OpenGL implementation misses all the professional features u need to use in CAD-CAID-DCC.

About FGL9000 dunno alot. ATi says FireGL 9000 will finally have all these so long waited functionalities, but when i was to choose between Dell M50 and Compaq E800w i got the first (probably i was frustrated by ATi drivers).

I really hope drivers, now, are better then before.

Last but no the least look at Dell CompleteCare warranty... hope not to need it in the future... but in the case... ;)

Ciao, Luxo

elvis
01-16-2003, 11:29 PM
from what i understand the firegl7XXX series are based directly on the radeon7XXX series, which suck big time. (bad T&L, no pixel shaders, etc).

the fireGL9000 should by all accounts be much better. how it compares to a quadro40go i can't say, as i've used neither.

i've yet to see a review comparing laptops with professional cards in professional 3D applications. if anyone has some decent links to share, it's be much appreciated.

marco
01-17-2003, 09:16 AM
thank you guys!!

I think I will try a Dell M50..
I hope to have the possibility to write on this forum that
this was the right choice ;)

ciao

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.