PDA

View Full Version : Life drawing

Kyrene
07-05-2006, 03:38 PM
When drawing things from life, Is it better to to draw the image or scene as a whole, Start with a small details and work way up.

And Well i'm struck on Shapes! Using shapes and need advise.

Rebeccak
07-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Kyrene,

It's actually much better to start with the biggest shapes first. Details should be omitted til the very last.

A really good book is Vilppu's Drawing Manual, which can be found on his site:

http://www.vilppustudio.com/

Basically he breaks down form into simple boxes and spheres, which is an age old way of simplifying the figure.

The big mistake is to draw tiny details like eyelashes before establishing the major forms and masses of the body. Have you seen the Beginners' Lounge (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=297229)? Try the exercises posted to the beginning of the thread. Drawing begins with GESTURE. The exercises there and linked articles will help you to understand this crucial drawing concept. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Kyrene
07-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Yes well my art teacher says i need to contraste on different ways bescuase my characters or models don;' even look like the figures drawing or showing the emotion of the state it just circles and olives...

personally, i feel i have a low self esteem and like to produce more then one drawing a year i feel, "yes i like this"

i think i need work on understanding better of seeing the form more in the line of action.. and getting more dymanic poses..

"Also problem people keep recccmending books... i'm already in student loan payments and can't afford them.

MashPotato18
07-11-2006, 07:00 PM
I think I have the same problem... I tend to focus on details, and end up doing things like completely drawing the head before adding a body, and the posing suffers as a result. It's something I definitely need to work on overcoming, and the resources in the Beginner's Lounge look like they will be helpful ^_^

Rebeccak
07-13-2006, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Kyrene: Yes well my art teacher says i need to contraste on different ways bescuase my characters or models don;' even look like the figures drawing or showing the emotion of the state it just circles and olives...

personally, i feel i have a low self esteem and like to produce more then one drawing a year i feel, "yes i like this"
Kyrene, my apologies for replying to your post a bit late. :) The only way to improve one's drawing ability is to practice consistently.

I recommend participating in Workshops such as:

Anatomy Lesson Series: Body Part 1 - The Head (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=375031)

Even if this means doing this on your own time. :) If you feel more comfortable only posting work to your own Personal Anatomy Thread, I would encourage you to create one in the Personal Anatomy Thread sub~forum. :)

i think i need work on understanding better of seeing the form more in the line of action.. and getting more dymanic poses..

"Also problem people keep recccmending books... i'm already in student loan payments and can't afford them.
All the more reason to participate in the many free Workshops we have here on the Forum. :)

Subscribe here to be notified of new Tutorials and Workshops:

Notification of New Open Figure Drawing Workshops / + TUTORIALS - SUBSCRIBE HERE! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=379951)

Why not create your own Anatomy Thread, and we can take things from there? :)

MashPotato18,

Welcome! You are more than welcome to participate in the Beginners' Lounge. Looking forward to seeing your work! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Pauld
07-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi guys...just read your posts and just want to say...don't give up on your figure drawing !

It is one of the more difficult subjects but also one of the most rewarding !! The more you draw the better you'll get...if you can't afford books (I remeber student life myself being short of cash !!) find a good library if possible, most will have a decent Art section!
If you can't get to a library and as Rebbecca suggested, this forum (which I've only recently discovered) is a great place to begin and there are a lot of people here with great advice to help you along !

On the subject of working out detail first: drawing lots of small sketches focusing on structure (maybe in your sketchbook) is a good place to start and then when you feel a little more confident then move on to sketching detail ! To get the body right, the correct structure needs to be there ...focus on this to begin with.. it really helps !

Hang in there and best of luck ;-)

Paul

Rebeccak
07-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Pauld,

That's great advice! You know it's funny, I always forget about the library. :) Thanks for the reminder and for the kind words! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

MashPotato18
07-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, I don't plan on giving up! ^_^

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2006, 11:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.