PDA

View Full Version : Liquid bearings

dvornik
01-16-2003, 08:01 AM
After I've used my maxtor for a month I gotta say liquid bearings kick ass. You can't hear a thing. I mean an idle drive and a drive searching for "stuff" generate the same amount of noise. My main drive is WD1200JB and compared to maxtor (a system drive in my second pc) it sounds like it's stripping gears when it does something.

As soon as I can get an 8 MB version for under $1/GB I'll buy it. I really recommend it if the "khhhhh" sound bothers you. 2MB maxtor drive has a lower performance than WD JB according to my HDTach results, but not by much.

Officially it's called "Fluid Dynamic Bearing Motor" - it really lives up to it's marketing.

elvis
01-17-2003, 12:25 AM
i've got the 40GB maxtor drive which was the first line of maxtors to come out with the features you mention. all of my mates had IBM or WD 7200RPM drives that were so bloody noisey at the time. i heard about teh liquid bearings, bought the drive and took it home.

powered up my system and thought "shit, the drive's not working"... then all of a sudden it's detected and i'm installing win2k to it! awesome! :)

the seagate barracuda IVs are even quieter if you can believe it. they get very warm, but are worth it for the lack of noise.

it's just a shame i had to go and ruin it with a 3900RPM 80mm fan blowing a hurricane over my heatsink! :)

dvornik
01-17-2003, 09:58 AM
Barracudas are very quiet too, we have them at work and I agree with you on that. My WD drive is the loudest device in my systems. The next loudest thing is a reference fan on a graphic card.

GregHess
01-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Hey Serge,

Thanks for the info's on the maxtor. Its interesting about your comments about the 120JB drive. I've got a few WD800JB drives and they're extremely quiet. Though it might be because I work with scsi drives pretty often....and anything is quieter then they are in comparison.

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200205/20020529WD800JB_6.html

I looked up your 120JB drive and found this out...

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200201/20020124WD1200JB_6.html

Interesting info. What maxtor version is your drive?

kwshipman
01-17-2003, 03:56 PM
I agree with greg that the WD 80 is guiet, I cant hear it over my Heatsink. But maybe when its time to add my second drive, I will look into either the segate or maxtor, to save the noise. Thanks for the tip.

P.s. has anyone used one of thoes internal harddrive enclosures that is supposed to reduce their noise by 90%? They look nice but my 5 1/4 bays are full so that will be for my next comp.

jonestation
01-19-2003, 05:02 AM
I have a seagate Barracuda IV, it is super quiet!
But it is super hot too!

dvornik
01-19-2003, 05:40 AM
DiamondMax Plus 9, 6Y060L0, 2 mb buffer, 7200, ATA133, 60 GB, retail, 3 year warranty. Now that I took it out of the case I'd say Barracuda is a bit quieter under load (our Boxx systems came with them). The important thing is you can't hear ambient noise change when you work.

I think SCSI drives I worked with are much louder than 1200JB, also many older IDE drives are louder. It's just nice not to hear them at all.

dvornik
02-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Well, I was wrong. The 8 MB 80 GB Maxtor turned out to be louder than WD JB. Go figure. It also has only 1 year warranty. Performance-wise it seems to be as good as WD or better, but still... WTF?

Bummer.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.