PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Recognition

tciny
07-04-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm looking for literature on pattern recognition and thought I'd ask here first before ordering anything :)
What I'm looking for would be something that, while it does give you the background to be able to understand the algorithms, is written rather hands on. More specifically in the direction of optical flow, as I'd like to compare two images and see how certain patterns moved. I understand this is a very complex field, but finding something that allows one to get the foot in the door would help a lot.

nurcc
07-07-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm looking for literature on pattern recognition and thought I'd ask here first before ordering anything :)
What I'm looking for would be something that, while it does give you the background to be able to understand the algorithms, is written rather hands on. More specifically in the direction of optical flow, as I'd like to compare two images and see how certain patterns moved. I understand this is a very complex field, but finding something that allows one to get the foot in the door would help a lot.

Two things I've found useful:
First, OpenCV (http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/opencv/index.htm), an open-source library that does a rather good job at a lot of computer vision tasks. I think it's got 2 or 3 types of optical flow computation built in. Also does bunches of other stuff.

Second, CVOnline (http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/CVonline/). He's basically categorized tons of papers and research results into a tree, so it's a good way to find info on a particular topic, or just browse the field. Some of the links are a little dated/dead, but such is life.

tciny
07-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks a lot for the links; especially the second one seems like a great ressource to cover the basics.

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2006, 06:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.