PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Proper/ Faster Network Setup (Windows)

shan-3da
07-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi,

I need few clarification regarding Windows Network set-up. We have HP XW4300 and Dell Precision 670 workstations loaded with WinXP64 which are connected to a Main Server IBM X-Series 206 running Win2003 Server. We primarily use Maya and some times Max.

The issue is, if we log on as Admins to the workstations they work really faster but the performance slows down in the case of User(PowerUser) log ins.

I am not a networking technical guy and guess our Sytem Admin is not well exposed to 3D Production (network) environment. So I need your help mates..!

I eagerly look forward to someone who could suggest/guide me to fix out / set up a proper network..
1. what makes machine performance slowdown?
2. is XP64 client -> win2003 server combo a good set-up? if not please suggest a better combo setup
3. other suggestions also welcome..

Thank you in advance..

Regards
Shan

Srek
07-04-2006, 07:37 AM
I can't think of any reason beside some tool/application beeing launched when a user logs in.
Have you tried to determine in the task manager what processes are realy using CPU time?
Maybe compare this between Admin and PowerUser login.
Cheers
Björn

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2006, 07:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.