PDA

View Full Version : Easy question

BrokenWindow
07-04-2006, 04:18 AM
This is a pretty basic question. I'm just getting into texturing with photoshop and am trying to use a bitmap mask to mask 1 layer over another....meaning I am not able to paste an existing b&w mask image into a layer mask on a certain layer. I try to copy the image and when i try to paste it into the layer mask section....it appears as another seperate layer. Any help on this would be great...

Thanks in advance..

Ian Jones
07-04-2006, 06:38 AM
With the layer you want the mask applied to selected, goto the channels tab (should be next to the layers tab)... in there you'll see the RGB component channels aswell as the alpha channel of the currently selected layer. You should be able to just paste it in. You can perform many other image editing processes on this channel, hide the rgb channels to make it easier. This includes filters :)

BrokenWindow
07-06-2006, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the reply Ian. The file I am using for a mask is a seperate PSD document. When i go to my uvw texture document, there is no alpha of the mask in the channels tab...Even if i make one...I cannot get it to paste into it.... What i am doing is selecting the entire mask doc, then going to my texture doc and trying to paste it into my "layer mask" on the layer i want to mask, but it just adds another layer to it. Hope I'm explaining this right...heh

Any clarification would be great...

Thanks again...

Warhound
07-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I had the same problem when I was starting to use alpha maps. Here is a solution: First select the layer you want to put the mask in and hit the add vector mask button on the bottom of the layer palette. It is next to the button for a layer style. This will add a mask object to the layer. With the layer selected go to the channel palette and select the mask layer turning off the RGB channels. Paste your document into this layer, and presto you have an alpha map. Hope this helps.

BrokenWindow
07-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks warhound.

This way works pretty good...The only thing is that when i paste the alpha into the correct channel..then switch back to the layers, it leaves a solid white mask the size of the image on the layer in the initial position it's pasted on. I can move it and it works fine then, but i got a big white square wherever it starts from. I just paste and move it out of the way of where i want the mask to be...but...still kind of a hassle... Hopefully someone will understand what i just said....heh

Again...thanks for the replies...

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.