PDA

View Full Version : Exploring Middle Earth - Death Scene - Blowtorch

skellybobbly
01-15-2003, 11:51 PM
Hi All,

My death scene is going to centre around the Cave Troll. I've yet to finalise his demise but it's going to show his general clumsiness and lack of brains.

Hopefully I'll get a storyboard posted up soon.

Cheers

Jon

BTW If anyone could help me out with some webspace to temporarily store my challenge work I'd be very grateful.

skellybobbly
02-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Hi All,

Been busy sorting out a website so that I can display my stuff but
It's up and running at last.

I've posted a picture of the troll model I'm animating and also the start of the animation as it is now...rough!

The animation has the troll enter the scene go to attack a human, takes a couple of arrows to the chest area, staggers back and falls. Gathers himself and charges the human. He then gets an arrow in the eye which stops him in his tracks and he drops, lurches and dies.

I'll post the storyboard I'm working from soon..when I've dusted off my scanner!

http://www.blowtorch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cgtalkfeb.htm

Comments please...about the animation and the site in general. It's my first attempt.

Cheers

Jon

skellybobbly
02-06-2003, 10:52 PM
Howdy,

Latest update to my challenge animation:

http://www.blowtorch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chalfeb/trollv1_02.mov

Still only the first few seconds but starting to take shape.

Cheers

Jon

Magarnigal
02-07-2003, 02:15 AM
Hey Blowtorch, that is coming along nicely!

Couple of things that stand out to me:

I am not reading the impact of the arrows too well. I think mainly because they're so hard to see, and dissapear once they've hit him. You need to get the arrows sticking out of him out have em a bit more constrasty against the rest of the scene, make em pink or something :) His reactions to being hit seem a little confusing, but I realise you've only just starting animating that part...Tho I think at some stage you should spend some frames on him registering the arrows, have him look at the arrows, perhaps turn slightly profile to silloughette the arrows against the background, really show us that he has been hit with arrows :)

There are a couple of weight issues as he walks into screen, as he plants his -right- foot there is no weight transfer before he lifts his left. You should hold off the raising of his left foot for a few frames and drift the mass of his body further over his right foot.

He has a nice, lumbering feel about him overall, which is working really well. Keep going!

-mike

DIMO
02-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Very Nice,

I like the fluid motion. I couldn't see any arrows at all the first time.
:applause:

Stephen Vyas
02-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Likewise, I didn't notice the arrows till after I watched it a few times.. The background color just blends to well with them.

skellybobbly
02-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments..all taken on board.

The arrows were just dropped in before the render that I posted. The timing was out on the second one and I do plan to have them sticking in the troll in the final version. I may slow them down a little and I'll definitely be making them a brighter colour.

Also the lighting isn't final yet and there will be a darker background model going in the scene.

Magarnigal, I've implemented the weight issues in my lunchbreak.
Looking a lot better now.

Cheers

Jon

skellybobbly
02-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Latest update:

http://www.blowtorch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chalfeb/blowtorch_trollv1_03.mov

still working on the 'getting back up'. His hands are way to stiff at the moment.

Arrows should be a lot clearer too now.

Cheers

Jon

DIMO
02-12-2003, 08:56 AM
Much better with the new arrows now!

Theta-Dot
02-28-2003, 03:02 PM
I think the second arrow has too much force behind it. The first arrow is great and it looks good because he is reacting to it by reflex and turning away, the second arrow though has him move back and fall down at a direction not parallel to the path of the second arrow, so I think if you want to keep it the way it is than just make it look like: He gets hit with the second arrow, reflexes (but not too much) , stumbles back, and then falls. The way it looks right now is that the arrow is actually pushing him back off his feet, and it isn't convincing. Everything else is mighty purty though. Sweet sweet stuff.

=ThetaDot=

skellybobbly
02-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi All,

My final animation for the Troll Death Scene has just been uploaded to:

http://www.blowtorch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chalfeb/blowtorch_troll_final.mov

It's just over 2 megs.

The page with all the troll work on is:

http://www.blowtorch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cgtalkfeb.htm

Now for a beer ;)

Cheers

Jon

skellybobbly
03-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the comments Theta.

I take on board what you're saying about the second arrow although it was a little late in the day to change it!;)

I did use a little artistic (or should it be animatic license :) ) with the effect of the arrows on the troll but I thought it made for a more interesting sequence than him just being peppered with arrows.

Cheers

Jon

srv
03-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Nice B,
the weight of the character reads really well

Royal
03-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Good stuff! I liked everything except two things, the ending seems rushed and isn't as smooth as the other stuff, seems like he should fall over faster also.
Also it seems like he's trying to dodge the second arrow as he jumps before it hits him, make a tad smaller pause before he takes the leap.
Nice and stuff, got a 4 from me :bounce:

skellybobbly
03-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Hi Royal,

Thanks.

The ending was rushed.;)
I roughed out three different death endings, none of them came out how I wanted them. In the end I went with the one that I disliked the least.

Cheers

Jon

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.