PDA

View Full Version : Random Particle birth blues

supremepizza
07-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Here's the setup.
Same as the Missile tutorial in Max 8 only with 20 faces as emmitters.

Birth ammount = 20
Locataion = selected faces
PFSource->system management->Upper limit = 20

Poly emmitters are instances of the origoinal (cylinder 1) and named sequentially. Selected face was chosen on cylinder 1 then checked on the rest to be selected.

"Click the Birth operator and set Emit Start to 30 and Emit Stop to 100. Also, set Amount to 4. With these settings, the system will emit four particles (missiles) between frames 30 and 100.

The Amount value determines how many particles will be emitted uniformly between the specified frames."

That's a direct quote from the tutorial.
However my missiles are not distributed evenly.
I'm needing 1 missile per tube to launch each event. I've gone through over 1000 seeds on my Position Object with no luck of hitting that magical 1 missile per tube solution.

So how do I hard script my particles to one per emmitter?
Or how do I calculate the correct seed out of 104,857,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 possibilities?

supremepizza
07-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Didn't get an overwhelming response on this one. : )

I figured it out but thanks to those that took a look anyway.
My setup was all wrong. First I shouldn't use instanced geometry. If I use coppied geometry I can set empty flows with my ammount set to 1 and.... well the heirarchy. Starts with 20 empty flows -> 20 Birth events (I call this my missile load event) with positions objects (1 for each emmitter/missile tube), rotation, shape instance, display(geometry), speed (0), and a time test for my launch event.

In theory using instanced geometry would have been the quickest setup but built in random distribution seeding makes it a mess unless you know the correct seed to begin with.

Cheers,

Bill

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2006, 12:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.