PDA

View Full Version : Final Render Stage1 - new node with DR issues

tecton3d
07-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Hello all, I just got a couple rendering machines built, networked (all under the workgroup MSHOME through my DSL router), and installed max and copied the necessary FR files/folders to the right places but can't get the FRserver.exe application to act right.

I have my laptop set up as a rendernode with the FRserver.exe application and it works fine. When I start the .exe, an empty max scene opens and hangs out in the taskbar, flashes a few times so I know it's ready to use... all's well... tell my workstation to use DR, my laptop starts rendering...:buttrock:

however, when I launch the .exe from my new rendernode system, the empty max scene opens but doesn't hang around... it's only in the taskbar for about 2 seconds and then it dissapears which is what has me stumped. the FRserver window says idle but the shell max file is gone:shrug: Also, when I try to start the nodes from within my workstation's Max render dialogue box - distributed render, I get an error saying "can't connect to FR server" and when the scene does start to render on my workstation and laptop, the message changes to connection refused.

does anyone out there have any suggestions or help ?

many thanks:beer:

tecton3d
07-02-2006, 03:21 AM
anybody? out there... i'm open to any and all suggestions as to why the empty FRserver shell file keeps cycling through. I can see the node on my workstation (via render dialogue box) but can't get it to connect...

help!

tecton3d
07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
I figured it out... actually just found a workaround ~ anyway, I don't have dvd drives on my rendernodes so I couldn't do a full install until::: I "shared" my workstation's dvd drive and did full installs to each node... works like a charm and it's awesome seeing all those buckets crunching : )
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i64/tecton3d/DRisworking.jpg
:beer:

bardur
07-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Its good that you got it to work.... Finalrender really ROCKS!
and.. YES its VERY pleasant to see so meany buckets... i have 16 (i think) - 8 Computers

and it rules

Regards

tecton3d
07-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Its good that you got it to work.... Finalrender really ROCKS!
and.. YES its VERY pleasant to see so meany buckets... i have 16 (i think) - 8 Computers

and it rules

Regards

thanks for the reply ~ good to know there's another FR user out there :beer:

indeed it does... rendertimes have dropped more than I had planned ~ workflow has at least doubled not having to wait for renderings which is definitely a good thing when trying to become comfy with a new render engine... there are so many damn settings with FR though !!! Good thing I have all those buckets to test, test, test:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

I also found out a nice little tidbit about FR... it is license controlled via physical CPU cores so by having HT xeons ~ the FR engine doesn't see them and I don't have to buy extra license unless I go over the 10 (physical) cpu limit... I can slide a little extra processor under thier radar: ) By the time I get all 4 of these dual xeon systems up and running, I'll have 2 Opterons, 8 physical xeon cores and 8 HT cores. which will max out my 10 cpu license but I'll still be getting the 8HT cores for free

jonesthesteam
07-12-2006, 12:28 PM
but ht is just 1/2 of you xeon - not quite like dual cores - some scenes also render quicker with ht off. FR is a beautiful renderer, sp3a has fixed a lot of problems - and the fr colour correct map is fantastic!

tecton3d
07-14-2006, 04:41 AM
but ht is just 1/2 of you xeon - not quite like dual cores - some scenes also render quicker with ht off. FR is a beautiful renderer, sp3a has fixed a lot of problems - and the fr colour correct map is fantastic!

yeah, I know that about HT being what Intel calls a "virtual" processor and only gives about 15-20% of an improvement , but hey ~ it's free : ) And yes, some scenes will do better without it, but it would only be worth reinstalling windows to disable HT if I had a major project of which I knew the type of renders I'd be doing like non-HT cpu's better... generally it's best to be left on. As for now, I'm just scratching 'round a bit but will try to figure these things out later.

I still have to assemble a few more systems so perhaps I'll set one of them up with HT off and run some FRbenchies to compare and share:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2006, 04:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.